simple switch to turn off power during feeding

Burningbaal

So we all know about simple timers to turn on a fan (or whatever) for 10 minutes (or 20 or 45 or whatever).  but to feed my new nano, I'll want to turn OFF the return pump for several minutes and have it automatically turn back on.  of course an Apex would take care of this, but I don't have $250 I'm looking to get rid of, so I'm thinking there must be an easy way to make a simple turn-back-on timer.

anyone tried?

There was just a post around here not to long ago, like a week ago or so about a cheaper alternative (programmable power bar) to the apex, might want to search that. Otherwise apart from manually flipping off an on is the only thing I think your options would be.

If you can mount it where it is easy to get to you can use a $5 timer from Target and set it to run for 23 hours. Then when you feed, just turn the timer until it clicks off. Then it will click back on in an hour. 

I did that before I had my apex. Had my return pump and my skimmer connected to it. 

HTH

• Like 3

You could look into lighting modules for turning lights on and off with your cell phone. Those might work. A lot of those modules you just plug the light into them and they control power so it should work with a pump too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can mount it where it is easy to get to you can use a $5 timer from Target and set it to run for 23 hours. Then when you feed, just turn the timer until it clicks off. Then it will click back on in an hour. 

I did that before I had my apex. Had my return pump and my skimmer connected to it. 

HTH

Genius!  

The key is, we forget to turn stuff back on.  This ensures that never happens.

• 1 month later...

I would think an eheim auto feeding and a digital timer would be what you would want. Set up the pump to turn off a few minutes before the feeder and then let it stay off for 10-15 minutes.

Maybe feed two small feedings a day. Once when your home and like to see the fish run around and a second time at night when the polyps are out.