235gal rimless build

danlu_gt

Thank you. How's your tank coming along? I remembered you got a nice Oregon Tort.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I had a total tank crash and lost every sps I owned. I usually have a second tank running but just upgraded it and it hasn't stabilized. I tried saving my oregon tort colony but lost it. Second time I have had a tank crash but this time I lost everything. Very discouraging. 

I had a total tank crash and lost every sps I owned. I usually have a second tank running but just upgraded it and it hasn't stabilized. I tried saving my oregon tort colony but lost it. Second time I have had a tank crash but this time I lost everything. Very discouraging.

Sorry for your lost.. it's so rewarding when sps starts to grow fast and devastating when they melt away fast.

Holy crap! Just saw my male trigger chopping down and sucking off my frog spawn coral heads!! [language filter]! That coral been in there forever. He took out 4 out of 8 heads. ;(

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Hope he doesn't decide to add any additional coral to his diet. Maybe it will give him indigestion and he will reconsider.

Tank looks great!  I have had my share of crashes and have come to accept the fact that it is just part of the game.  I have had a lot of fish die already in my tank and almost everyone of them has died for no reason I can figure out.  Eating one day, dead the next.

We+will+rebuild+we+can+do+it+if+we+belie

Have 41 fishes now but those 2 triggers should count like 20+ by themselves. Haha. Glad my DIY ATS is keeping up with the bioload.

Hey Daniel - still planning to get rid of the previous ATS?  I am kind of curious about experimenting with one but not sure I have a good place to put it. I can't believe you have 41 fish in that tank!  All I can see are two really large triggers j/k

Hey Daniel - still planning to get rid of the previous ATS?  I am kind of curious about experimenting with one but not sure I have a good place to put it. I can't believe you have 41 fish in that tank!  All I can see are two really large triggers j/k

haha.. 42 if you count the one the triggers ate.

Yes, I still want to get rid of the prevous ATS.  That one is 12"Lx10"Hx8"D.  I placed it above my sump before and depending on how much clearance, might be a tight squeeze to remove the screen.  When I have time, I'll clean it well and take some pics.

• 3 weeks later...

ATS 12 days of growth got about the same as 7 days. My observations is that once there are lots of growth, it starts to channel the water flow and some area start to get less water flow which reduces growth.

1a6fc0b6f42cc0218bc8a62df8bf1bd1.jpg

16f4650beccacaaf2fea968e0521bbb4.jpg

Added filefish to my DT to help control aptisia. I had it in my frag tank for a few days to get it to first eat flakes and frozen food. Male trigger chased it for days and finally leaving it along. Now the filefish is out exploring, hope it start eating those aptisia.

I always dip my corals in Bayer's and cut off the plugs, but somehow acro eating black bug/worm/nudibranch made it in. :(

I don't know where I got it from but I suspect it was 3-4 months ago before I was battling dino. So far they have munched on my torts, millies, tenius, sarmentosa.

These bugs have clear body with only visible organs or digested acro tissues with 2 eyes. They are very tiny, about the size of toothpick tip. Here are video of them moving around:

https://youtu.be/TTv_4h_MkVk

Here's what they look like on the coral skeleton:

0ce6c87c31ab91d763d586fb7e6a61e3.jpg

Here's the best pic I can get:

3495f7896106b09caef54fefb29cc481.jpg

My treatment plan:

I'm setting up a temporary frag tank and will dip my sps in strong H2O2 mixture the try to shake off any loose/dying ones. I plan to pickup some KCL and will test to see if high potassium will kill the adults and experiment to see what long term high potassium exposure to sps. If all goes well, I will keep the sps in high potassium while in temporary frag tank to ensure future hatchling are eradicated. I decided against weekly Bayer's dip because with newborn I don't want to accidentally containmate my clothes or anything that can come in contact with baby.

• Like 2

Huh. Never seen anything like those before. I've had montipora eating flatworms and acro ones before, but they were never that dark. More translucent white or red.

I completely agree with keeping insecticides out of the house while the baby is still newborn. Things like Revive are pure essential oils and might be a good alternative (limonene oil and citrus oil). I am unsure about Coral RX.

Where did you hear about the hydrogen peroxide and potassium chloride dip? I don't cruise any other forums and am curious. I could definitely see them working, but I wouldn't know what concentrations to start with. If you are running an experiment on SPS you could easily buy the solid online and test different concentrations.

Huh. Never seen anything like those before. I've had montipora eating flatworms and acro ones before, but they were never that dark. More translucent white or red.

I completely agree with keeping insecticides out of the house while the baby is still newborn. Things like Revive are pure essential oils and might be a good alternative (limonene oil and citrus oil). I am unsure about Coral RX.

Where did you hear about the hydrogen peroxide and potassium chloride dip? I don't cruise any other forums and am curious. I could definitely see them working, but I wouldn't know what concentrations to start with. If you are running an experiment on SPS you could easily buy the solid online and test different concentrations.

KCL, I found on this R2R thread:

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/an-almost-successful-in-tank-aefw-treatment.184192/

H2O2, I've being using it as new fish dip to rid ich and marine velvet at (1ml/pint of tank water) for 30min.  I've also used it to get rid of algae growing on frags.  As coral dip, I used up to 1:5 ratio for a couple min.

I bought a bag of KCL from ACE Hardware today.  R2R said to use 1LB of KCL to 50GAL so that's roughly 1.134g / 1 pint (~8g/7pints).  These KCL are fairly large random pieces.  I found 3 smaller pieces and weight it to be 1.22g, which I dissolved into my 1pint cup of tank water.  (I got a bunch of 1pint cup from eating too much ice cream. haha)  Placed a few drops on a white lid and found a frag with some black slugs (I'm going to call them black slugs from now on.  They don't have legs as referred as black bugs online.)  Found one but first I want to confirm that it's moving by placing in a few drops of regular tank water on white lid.  I see it moved around and confirm it's like the previous ones I seen.  Then I use a toothpick to move it to the puddle with high potassium.  It continue to move but I can't tell if it's in stress due to it's size.  After 15min or so, it stop moving.  So it looks like high K does have an effect on it. I place a small frag into the pint with high K.  Immediately, a mini bristle star let go and curled up.  An asterina mini star seems unaffected, still attached to the base of the frag.

The asterina star was dead in the test just was still on the frag base.

Today I dipped my sps frags and colonies in KCL solution to knock loose any worms. Then I place them in a temporary frag tank soak in K. SPS showing some stress with sliming coat. If they don't appear better in next 12 hrs, I'll do 90% WC to get potassium back down and just treat them weekly to kill new hatchlings.

I followed Lance through that thread and actually use the potassium chloride as a coral dip- same dosage 1lb KCL to treat 50 gallons let soak 30 minutes. This was years ago when i battled and beat the [language filter] [language filter] out of those [language filter] [language filter] Acro eating pieces of [language filter] maggot [language filter] [language filter] abominations (how do I really feel-that's something for the mods to read and warn me about )

Good luck if those are black bugs, never have yet to read anything that will kill them and if they came from your display, well..... Good luck, if they are what I've read about they are worse than AEFW - imagine that, something worse than AEFW.

Doomed we are, doomed.....

Unless you have a QT setup ;)

Good luck again Daniel

Edited by reefnjunkie

Lost 4 of my favorite sps from KCL treatment. 2 were smooth skin type acro, guess they are more sensitive. 2 RTN from water quality in temp frag tank. With KCL, all the tube worms and feather dusters died which fouled the water very quickly. Doing WC 2x daily wasn't able to keep up with dying worms. Ended up putting all sps back in DT and will dip each one on as needed basis.

Lost 4 of my favorite sps from KCL treatment. 2 were smooth skin type acro, guess they are more sensitive. 2 RTN from water quality in temp frag tank. With KCL, all the tube worms and feather dusters died which fouled the water very quickly. Doing WC 2x daily wasn't able to keep up with dying worms. Ended up putting all sps back in DT and will dip each one on as needed basis.

So sorry to hear that Daniel that's a real bummer :(