235gal rimless build

danlu_gt

• 1 month later...

Was battling dinoflagellates algae for months... Then it started to cleared up, but a week later it came back in full force. I decided to setup my spare frag tank to move all the frags off the sandbed so I can stir it up daily. Got the frag tank setup and now the dino are fading again. Guess that frag tank might become a seahorse tank in the future. :)

Lost several sps frags in the process. ???? Dimmed the LEDs, fed less, and dosed H2O2 have probably starved and stressed my corals too much. Sps lost a lot of their fluorescent pigments.

Sandbed is as white as it ever been since it was originally added. Gonioporas are showing more PE. Hopefully the dino plague is over and just waiting for the sps to color back up again.

33a4fd65ea412e757d4195678e65f860.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Did Mike at OBD would it? He would not do a rimless at 24" tall said it would not hold, and so he insisted on euro braces and look what happened still to my tank

Yes, Mike at OBD made it.

Wait... What happened to your tank??

O _ O I thought triggers were known coral killers. Those are gorgeous!!!

Hmm.. I don't know of any triggers that eat corals. Some/most are not considered reef safe cause they may eat crabs, shrimps, snails, and other small fish.

Here's some info on crosshatch triggers:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/10/fish

General info on triggerfish:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/7/fish

• Like 1

I was just incorrect on the reason they're generally not reef safe.  Danlu, I see there that crosshatch triggers are considered to be mostly safe around the CUC.  How are yours doing?  What kind of inverts do you keep?  Really great information and I'm surprised I have completely overlooked this family of fish due to an undeserved reputation.  Ah well, always learning!

I was just incorrect on the reason they're generally not reef safe.  Danlu, I see there that crosshatch triggers are considered to be mostly safe around the CUC.  How are yours doing?  What kind of inverts do you keep?  Really great information and I'm surprised I have completely overlooked this family of fish due to an undeserved reputation.  Ah well, always learning!

I only just got them 2 days ago.  They didn't eat on first day but started eating on 2nd day, ate flakes and frozen shrimp.  They won't eat pellets yet.  I have snails, hermits, 2 cleaner shrimps, 6 cucumbers, 3 clams.  The first 2 days, my clown would chase/nip at them when they get too close to her anemone.  They're so massive that they not as agile as my tangs, and last 2 mornings, I had to re-glue a couple sps corals that got knocked over.  Today, the chromis and damsels seem less afraid of them.

• Like 1

I had blue jaw triggers as well that were completely fine in my mixed reef and (to me) also beautiful fish.  The crosshatch are pretty awesome though.  Lots of lovely fish in this tank!

• Like 1

Got a pack of frozen small silverfish from Asian grocery store awhile back. Was test feeding my anemone but my triggers love them. They are a bit big for my smaller fish but just the right bite size for the triggers. Pretty fun feeding them with a tong. Will try take another video in fill daylight in the future.

Updated video:

https://youtu.be/-8-aoA2lQ94

Edited by danlu_gt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This time I believe my Dinoflagellates plague is finally over. I've been dealing with it for months. At one time it cleared up for a week but then came back strong again. For the last 3+ weeks my sand bed have stay white. Even last week or so, I had to clean the glass at least 2 times daily which was much better than Dino coating the sand and rocks! Now the glass only need cleaning every day to day and a half. Yay!

During the height of Dino plague my gonioporas were closed for weeks at a time and I lost 2 big sps colonies and several frags. Now the gonioporas look happy again and sps are getting their colors back slowly.

Took these pics during feeding with all pumps turned off.

9e20e8a723254152ca0abbf788130d19.jpg

6974eba6eeeefc53a98f22ca70b64329.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Gorgeous aquarium Daniel. One of these days I'll have to get some pictures of how you supported your conduit very nice setup!

I mount 2 small 2x4 wood on the back of my stand then mount the conduit pipe holder on the 2x4. This way the conduit pipe will not touch the back glass.

bab07e49e28da0a34c869425abb27e48.jpg

Close-up

dcbbab10c9e8d92c1b58ae8831e8d787.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk