235gal rimless build

danlu_gt

Sorry to hear about the struggles Daniel.  Especially painful when you were already taking precautions.  Hope the KCl treatment manages to whip them.  I can't recall if you have any "pest" hunters in the tank - like a melanarus wrasse - not that it would necessarily take care of these guys.

Super clean work. Gonna be Sweet!

Big thank you to Jorge and MrBret yesterday. 235gal rimless came in yesterday, was a beast getting it flip on its back, out the van, up a couple steps, through the doors, flip back and finally on the stand!

6981423f061f356d05c2c3918d1e1da7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

FTS update:

Unfortunately, I had to move my hammer coral collection to my frag tank after my triggers periodically nibbles at them. They figured out hammers sometime are able to catch food and they want ever last morsel. Lost one of my banggai cardinals, heard chopping sound then saw it got torn apart. :( Also my school of chromis is down to 4 from 7. One lost left gill plate. Total fish count down to 37.

Some good news, added filefish have cleared up my aptisia population.

8e2f1143263ccaaa6c83b3f148ca85ff.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How's the battle with the black bugs going? Has anything been able to get them to consistently come off acro frags?

KCL dip do kill off the adult bugs and all the tube worms, feather dusters, and starfish. If anyone want some KCL pellets, I ended up getting a 40lb bag for $40, so pretty much $1/lb.

• Like 1

Got my other 50g cube finally filled up, plumbed into the same sump. Haven't decided what's going on. At first I wanted to try sea horses but afraid their feeding requirements are too time consuming. Maybe a cool carpet anemone tank? Peacock mantis would be cool but afraid it might break the glass. Any suggestions?

5634ef7c2a79057b244c4ab2ffd2e402.jpg

• Like 1

Couldn't get him out in time. By the time I ran to the other room to grab the net, the triggers teamed up and corner him. I don't think he's going to make it. Triggers are getting supper aggressive right before they're about to spawn again.

678fda23e5a3b7c238ce9e1443c2922c.jpg

fa097330fbeea156397156d21c2db7ba.jpg

Still battling the acro eating black slugs. So far they seems to be targeting 5 of my sps. I might need to increase my dipping frequency. Other sps are still growing fast.

Got some larger grain sand, 1-2mm. They are noticeable larger than my existing sand. Hopefully my wave pumps won't part them in the middle. I'm not sure if my leopard wrasses prefer these or the smaller grain sand.

6fcc3566d0243b97c5b40b97622c9253.jpg

My prototype controller seems to be working. Still need some extensive software tweaks. Tank pH is trending lower as kalk reservoir is depleted. I'm hacked 2 Little Fishes media reactor to be my kalk reactor ATO. Now with larger volume and greater evaporation, kalk is depleted around 14 days. Ideally, I want it to last a month. Another project in the queue: bigger kalk reactor. Interesting looking at my tank stats history, past 8 days. There was a temperature drop. That's when I turn down house temp and forgot to turn it back up. My wife was also complaining why it feels colder. Oops

b5cb692c7b3e5183613e0d43459f870d.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...