235gal rimless build

danlu_gt

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to raise my skimmer in my sump so I can plumb the skimmate to a waste bucket. Made an acrylic box and propped it up, and it works great. Unfortunately, one over sight was to let water flow over of the box. This made so much waterfall noise and was driving me crazy. Took the box out last night and drilled 6 holes for 3/4" PVC fittings. Now it's completely silent, yay!

e4e079f4b4d21bf2932e31c8500723de.jpg

Next project, upgrade the algae scrubber. With the 2 hungry triggers, I've been feeding 5-6 times more than pre-triggers days. Nitrate always near zero but now slowly creeping up around 15ppm. Need a larger algae scrubber to handle the larger bioload. This time around I'll make some changes I learn for easier cleaning and quieter operation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Edited by danlu_gt

Yikes, woke up this morning and power is out since 8:30a. Checked with PGE... There's a big outage in Hillsboro. :(

I have been debating to get a battery backup for the DC wave pumps but keep putting it off. For now I'm using my car and a power inverter to run for 15min one of the returns every hour or so. [language filter], I should have fill up the gas last night.

Hoping PGE get power back soon.

Edited by danlu_gt

Yikes, woke up this morning and power is out since 8:30a. Checked with PGE... There's a big outage in Hillsboro. :(

I have been debating to get a battery backup for the DC wave pumps but keep putting it off. For now I'm using my car and a power inverter to run for 15min one of the returns every hour or so. [language filter], I should have fill up the gas last night.

Hoping PGE get power back soon.

Dang, that's too bad man. Sorry to hear. Hopefully everything worked out!

Yikes - I missed this but glad to see there was no serious damage done. Always makes me wonder if it would be practical to have a club loaner generator for situations like this. Of course, wouldn't help if a large enough area went out but might safe a reefer or two in case of more localized outages.

Edited by albertareef

O _ O I thought triggers were known coral killers.  Those are gorgeous!!!

Coral re-arrangers for sure!  And they can eat smaller reef fish like french fries.  Ask me how I know, so sad!

But if  you have the right sized fish and don't mind the occasional redecorating, what cool fish!

Nice pickup Daniel!

Coral re-arrangers for sure!  And they can eat smaller reef fish like french fries.  Ask me how I know, so sad!

But if  you have the right sized fish and don't mind the occasional redecorating, what cool fish!

Nice pickup Daniel!

They do like to move all my coral frags around.  They also not very nimble with strong wave pumps and knocked off a couple of my sps colonies that got in their swimming path.  Recently the female trigger hates my cleaning magnet and tongs when I move frags back.  She use to just dart by very quickly and now she's biting the magnet cleaner and my tongs.  I'm planning to do some re-gluing of larger sps colonies soon.  Hopefully, she won't be so bold to bite my hand. 

Nice build. Nothing beats rimless, but that nagging worry of a split never goes completely away after having one or two myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fear of a split is always there. I have a small rimless and I think about it splitting at least once a day. I am sure your tank 235 will be fine.

Mine was a cheap one purchased off the shelf.  

Edited by fishboys

• 2 weeks later...

Lol wow they are morphing! What is their main food?

Alternate between flakes, home made seafood (shrimp paste with paprika powder, oysters), frozen small krill's from Japanese grocery, pellets.

I use to just pinch a large chunk of flakes and hand feed them till I got bitten a few times. Hehe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I can honestly say I have never seen round triggers before! I guess you weren't kidding about them being big eaters... Beautiful fish.

Thanks, they are beautiful.

I tried to put them on a diet but then my tangs didn't get enough and they beat up my tiny purple tang. He lost most of his yellow tang and I wasn't able to catch him to move to frag tank. I ended up board cast feeding flakes. Purple tang healed now but triggers gotten fatter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk