235gal rimless build

danlu_gt

Just scrolling through this post, I didn't realize that you 3D-printed a face plate for the wall and had an arduino controller on your old tank. You did an amazing job on both. I love it.

I also 3D printed conduit pipe holder clips. My wife said, "Why didn't you just buy that at home depot?". I told her that's about $15 savings going toward coral fund. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I also 3D printed conduit pipe holder clips. My wife said, "Why didn't you just buy that at home depot?". I told her that's about $15 savings going toward coral fund. ;)

My wife would remind me of how much the 3D printer cost. LOL :wife:

• Like 1

Put all live stock in last night and water finally cleared up. Corals enjoying their blast of light after 3 days in tub and fishes finally got fed. Everyone is enjoying this upgrade!

97f1984fa94951a17c44382c694f36b6.jpg

• Like 3

Got enough water to get one of the return pump online. Moved skimmer into the sump now. Just redistributed the sand. Looks like 1 40lb bag is not enough. Probably just need another 10lbs. I don't want a super thick sandbed.

Planning to add another rock soon.

43cc38e7d5a13c74bbd8aa9bb07c4ac7.jpg

• Like 2

My equipment list:

4 ReeFi LEDs

4 jebao RW-8

1 jebao DC 9000 return

1 jebao DCT-8000 return (split to 2 50gal cubes)

1 unknown pump for algae scrubber

1 Reef Octopus skimmer (gift from my brother)

Haven't finish plumbing the 2 50gal cube yet.

8d09e4b40db06d0efbd42fba5c6352e7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

fancy 3d printer ! awesome tank man ! and hows the LED doing so far?

Thanks... ReeFi LEDs are awesome! A lot of low profile LEDs have inadequate cooling. LED data profile show decrease in intensity up to 30% when temp too high. So running at 80% power vs 100% power may not give you much light output difference. Worse case will shorten the life of the LEDs and permanently decrease intensity over time. ReeFi LEDs cooling solution is rated for over 300w while it's max power is 150W.

• Like 1

I can't tell if that is a DIY 3D-printer or if it is commercial. The heated base plate looks larger than most common commercial systems. It definitely doesn't look like a MakerBot. Maybe Stratasys?

It's not the expense professional 3D printer. It's the cheaper desktop commercial 3D printer from XYZ. I have spend hours hacking/modifying it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's latest update pics..

2d53fa1d46dc2c5a97b52fc7611c34e5.jpg

My new baby purple tang, powder blue, and Achilles are settling in pretty well. Achilles was the last addition and was getting harassed mainly by the PB. Now they seem to get along better. Achilles was a bit of picky eater, now started to have more appetite. Been feeding 4-5x daily to get him to eat enough, will need to feed less before algae takes over. I've got the algae scrubber back online only a week ago, so hopefully that'll take care of excess waste soon.

Now got my dream tangs but always tempted to add another. ;-)

399edba4cf0031b984e13991ac92b5f3.jpg

• Like 4

Nice collection of tangs (and awesome tank)!  I always loved the purple and powder blue.  Had a few of the latter but the only purple I ever got decided to go after my scopes tang relentlessly. Unfortunately, I was only able to catch the purple so he went back to the store.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Super nice and clean set up Daniel! Pbt and achilles tang together? U r brave :)

I didn't realize how closely they are shaped till I got both. I did some YouTube search and others seem to be successful. PBT seems to be getting more tolerate of him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

care to share your design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's very basic. I got acrylic sheets cut to size from Tap Plastics to make a box. Got drill bits from home depot to make slightly smaller than 3/4 pvc. Then got a pipe thread tap for 3/4" from eBay. Some custom 3D printed parts for screen holder and shades to block light at the very top of the screen. Here more pics:

9e6f11c474747b8a71c90d7455fcc782.jpg

3b7490d48739bdfac06ca2f79e9971bb.jpg

4a78ec905ebd4188ca5d0197ca223f5e.jpg

• Like 1

What light are you using to grow the algae?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got grow led off eBay. They had pics of growing weeds so I figure it must be good! ;-) I wasn't sure how much light is needed so I got 2 30watts version but now I run about 13watts to each side.

• Like 1

This is how the brain works in a reefer :) hahah justified!