Burningbaal

29g Peninsula tank getting pack into it

The Green Star Polyps just tend to get rather dominant once they begin their spread. It becomes very difficult to remove them from the larger rocks once they have matted there and they can often irritate any corals they touch. It was a recommendation I suppose, they can grow rampant left unchecked, hence the island or peninsula. Some people would disagree but I feel that in an SPS tank the star polyps should be left off the main rock work or there may be repercussion further down the road.

ok, it's been a while, the lights are on a timer, JBJ ATO running the aqualifter routinely.  I just upgraded my topup water from a 1g carboy to a ~9g acrylic tank, so I don't have to fill it as often.  I've been dropping in a little (really old) marine hipro I have laying around that the yellow goby seems to enjoy well enough.  I haven't done a water change, nor tested chemistry in months (6? 8?  not sure).  but the hermits and fish seemed happy and with minimal feeding (a crumb or two 2-3 times per week) of one fish, I figured I was ok.  I have had no luck getting snails to survive though... plenty of green algae (film on the glass and some GHA and more calciferous stuff on the rock), but no snail has made it past 2-3 weeks, I've tried 8 or 10 in 3 different batches.

Anyways, I prepped about 9 gallons of water (Kent salt) this weekend, tested No3, PO4, Ca, and KH on both the tank water and the new water before I started the change, both had high hardness (8, 10 respectively) and Ca right about 500 in the tank, about 540 in the new water, both were non-detect for PO4 and NO3 (no surprise with the low feeding, though I wouldn't have been surprised if the snails added to the ammonia cycle).  Mg wasn't tested since the Ca and KH was high. 

Anyways, I'm rethinking my tank.  I'm thinking I'll target LPS.  who knows...frogspawn, acan, sun, elegance, brain, we'll see.  maybe someday I'll throw in a birdsnest to get a little sps look, but probably not and only if everything's going perfectly.

so my current thoughts for fish, one of each since the tank isn't really big enough to house multiples of these which tend to be aggressive to their own.

yellow watchman - already in tank (been in there for ~6 months already)

firefish (normal, not purple/helfrichi)

royal gramma

green clown goby

neon blue goby

court jester goby

any thoughts?  I'm shooting for as much color as I can muster without overloading the tank (especially considering the LPS I want to keep).

for what it's worth, I think I remember putting around 50 pounds of rock in there (remember a 29g tank), and when I did the ~9g W.C., it looked like around half the height of water, so I'm guessing it was around 60-70% of the volume.  weird how much of the 29g the rock/sand takes up!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ChevApache58
      I have a nice sized red planet frag for sale. It's been growing like craZy, shooting out all over the place. Looking to get $30 for it or trade for other corals/power heads. This thing has been growing and growing since the original post, I'll add some updated pics tomorrow but it's looking really good and getting big! 

Mother Colony!

• By Snappy
      I have a 28 gallon nano tank and am struggling to keep it at a consistent temperature inside my house or in the aquarium. What is more economical: buying a chiller for the aquarium, or just keep using the current window air conditioning unit and running up the electricity bill even when I'm gone? Are ice probes an effective way to go? What would I expect to spend on new or used equipment like a chiller?
    • By TaylorW
      So I've had something come up and I'm just not getting many hours at work so I'm hurting for a little cash this week, here's a few corals and a nice bta for sale. Sorry my camera on my phone takes terrible pics

#1- Beautiful Rose Bubble Tip Anenome on it's own rock, bta is about 3 1/2 inches  $25
      #2- Orange Ricordea Rock, 4 large orange Ricordias and several babies on it's own rock  $20
      #3- Large Green Hairy Mushroom rock, 10 plus large green Hairy mushrooms on own larger rock (I'll try for a better pic later) $25
      #4- Zoa rock, rock with 2 types zoas, 14 plus pinwheels and 3 plus unknown zoas? $15
      #5- Large Rock With 18 plus orange bam bam zoanthids, large red and blue spotted mushroom, blue clove polyps, green Palythoas, quarter sized purple and green Hairy mushroom, octopus ink xenia (hard to see entire rock and its size so ill try for a better pic later) $25
      #6- Rock With ~10 orange zoas with yellow skirts, octopus ink xenia and small green/blue speckled mushroom  $10
      #7- Green Monti Cap With Blue Polyps  $5
      #8- Green Hammer Coral 3 heads  $10
      If you would like better individual pics pm me and I'll try my best! Forest Grove area 

• By TaylorW
      I'm looking for someone local (forest grove, Gaston, Hillsboro, Cornelius, beaverton or tigard) that has a used (but working) hang on the back filter that would work for a ~20 Gallon tank, just a cheaper hob is fine, also looking for a spare 100 or 150 watt Aquarium heater. Would be great if I could find both together but not a deal breaker if they're not. Also on the lookout for a hanging kit for an LED fixture! Will buy $ or trade for coral? Thanks! 
    • By TaylorW
      I have a few corals for sale, trying to make room. Sorry I know the pictures are not the best! 
      YELLOW/GREEN MAXI MINI CARPET ANENOME $15 (it's kind of folded in the pics, it's hard to get a decent picture)                                      SMALL ROCK WITH GREEN MUSHROOM AND ANTHELIA $5.      LARGE GREEN AND PURPLE RICORDIA MUSHROOM $7 (hard to tell how big it is in the pic but its approx 5 inches across)                      SMALL ROCK WITH KENYA TREE CORAL AND SMALL RED AND BLUE SPOTTED MUSHROOM $4 (a little hard to see in the pics)           MONTI CAP GREEN WITH BLUE POLYPS $10                      SMALLGREEN/BLUE MUSHROOM $2                                               GREEN HAIRY MUSHROOM $3      KENYA TREE CORAL FRAGS $2         XENIA FRAG $4.                                 GREEN WITH RED BULB TIPS MAJANO ANENOMES $2    
      Take everything for $40!
      Text 503-935-6334