Official Premium Aquarium Goniopora Grow Out Competition

Mine is in my frag tank, which are two 40 gallon tanks plumbed together with a 40 gallon sump. The tank it is in is only about 7" deep. I run OR247, 1 1/2 hours blues alone, with 7 1/2 hours blues and whites. I hand dose Brightwell Code A & B. I have a cheap-o Chinese powerhead running in there, with this particular frag in medium to low flow. I keep a 6-line and a 2-bar rabbit fish (super cute--about 1 1/2 inch long) and only feed the tank lightly.

So...here's the rub. I'm out of town and won't be back until Sunday the 8th, at which time I will be seriously jet lagged. Can I please, please, please have a couple of extra days to post the pics? Please???

I'm back in the county and as promised, here are my pics--measurement of the length and width, and all four sides. 9c03242314d54f76c8447480e83a6c5e.jpg5a664b5bd078415901111eee52dc98ae.jpg9e95e8b79397541837b35b9a47545814.jpg98acaf10629ea2763a28dda3b2354bca.jpgc1e5aa993e628763616a0df635b47b5b.jpgfa0e4fbce2859c1cff81055edf2c8579.jpg4b11bf3f716c53bdee7d961066c6f299.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Welcome back home.... could you tell me what I intensity you blues and your whites are set at? I just can't seem to find a happy with my OR 247. I keep test my water and it looks fine so I thinking it's the intensity or flow... I think.... mine isn't dead but it just won't extend..

Welcome back home.... could you tell me what I intensity you blues and your whites are set at? I just can't seem to find a happy with my OR 247. I keep test my water and it looks fine so I thinking it's the intensity or flow... I think.... mine isn't dead but it just won't extend..

Sure.  I've got my blues on 50, and whites on 33.  They sit about 15" above the water, and the frag is about 3" below the water line.  The last PAR reading I took showed that area to be around 70.

• Like 1

I would say that mine is in a really really low PAR, I need to test that tanks corner but it couldn't be more than 35-40 most likely less. And I have been getting great extension.

Man, we did see a bit of a fall off of competitors, I am going to blame the Goniopora. I hope those who have not posted still have their frag, it is a nice consolation prize indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Danlu, I hope the frag is still doing well in your system. I bet those new lights are pretty intense for the little polyps, mine is doing rather well in the corner of my tank. I am aiming to get a really nice photo with polyp extension for Junes entry, especially since there are no required measurements until the end post.

Finally.. I'm out of the competition but finally after writing it off as "well poor thing is toast"and just looking at a lump moving it all over the tank, alk crashing and to high nitrates. A complete disaster all around.There is happy poly extension. YES there is "LIFE" muhhhhaaaaaa...

• Like 2

Now I am just posting 2 pictures just for fun but it is by no means mandatory until the final posts. I am just showing off some polyp extension and some developing polyps.

SAM_1081_zpsovnbgrbc.jpg

Definitely getting some coverage around those edges, pretty much no rough spots at all.

SAM_1082_zps7p8am9kg.jpg

And like I said the new polyps are getting some size to them, soon they will be large enough to push out further and repeat the process.

• Like 3

Mine is chugging right along. I'm starting to see some growth at the edges, like Robert was showing on his frag.

It's hard to capture the color of this goni. It looks really purple in the tank, but the pics always come out so pink.

IMG_3211_zpsqvi8lqu4.jpg

• Like 2

I have a ba-jillion babies coming up. Check this out.]e30f51801670e9378e7892fd77f5f262.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Wow.The new growth is remarkable!

I'm a little jealous.Absolutely no polyp extension or new growth on my side of the fence.I have moved the frag as a last resort.It really seems more stable now.

SAM_1171_zpsnjfzkzh_edit_1465137399603_z

Edited by kireek
  • Like 1

Lex- How many Gonis are you up to now? 5?

H.T.- Has yours been on the sand bed the whole time? I was wondering about them catching tiny micro fauna in the proper conditions.

Gill&Fin-What are you putting in your tank water? Miracle Gro for corals? 

Eclipse-I am wondering if over time this goni will just attach itself to the rock and just go from there. And on another note maybe I could snag some Prolifera when we cross paths next .

Matt-Frag looks really good with that acro back drop, is that a bunch of green aculeus?

Paratore-The TPA Purple contrasts the adjacent gonis very well, just wait till it gets bigger.

Kireek-Maybe it is getting too much light, I still need to measure the intensity over mine but I know it needs very little.

• Like 2

I am having tank issues. First I was fighting cyano, still fighting flat worms and now I am fighting dino's! So in turn all of my sps is bleaching and browning out. The green sps is the hulk.

sent from a Samsung note 4

Lex- How many Gonis are you up to now? 5?

H.T.- Has yours been on the sand bed the whole time? I was wondering about them catching tiny micro fauna in the proper conditions.

Gill&Fin-What are you putting in your tank water? Miracle Gro for corals?

Eclipse-I am wondering if over time this goni will just attach itself to the rock and just go from there. And on another note maybe I could snag some Prolifera when we cross paths next .

Matt-Frag looks really good with that acro back drop, is that a bunch of green aculeus?

Paratore-The TPA Purple contrasts the adjacent gonis very well, just wait till it gets bigger.

Kireek-Maybe it is getting too much light, I still need to measure the intensity over mine but I know it needs very little.

Yeah man, just hanging on the sand bed. Same spot mostly. I've moved it about 4 inches because I can push it back under an overhang or bring it out to get more light. It started in more direct light, but it is now under the overhang.
  • Like 1