Official Premium Aquarium Goniopora Grow Out Competition

Once again I hope Jesse does not mind me utilizing most of his write up for the rules of the competition. If it is uncalled for please let me know and I will see that it is taken down but if it is fine with you then it is much appreciated.

Well Contestants this is the official thread to post your entries! If you post your entry in another thread it will not count. Contest begins May 1st! You have a week before and a week after to post up your picture. This competition will run 4 months!

Ground Rules: The goal of this competition is to be both educational and fun. I am hopeful the winners will be able to share their "secrets" and truly see how different lighting, supplements, dosing, and tank parameters can make a difference in growth.

Rules and Guidelines for The Premium Aquarium Grow Out Competition. 

1.Your first post must include a quick write up of your system in the competition thread. Including tank size, flow, lighting, placement of the frag, frag measurement, equipment (ie calcium reactor, dosing, etc), feeding regiment, etc.

2. You will be required to post photo updates. The contest will start May 1st. You will be required to post a photo update once a month. I will remind you of this when the time is soon to post. I know life gets busy and people go out of town so you have a 2 week window to post.You will have 7 days before the 1st and 7 days after to post your update. If you do not post within the allotted time frame you will be disqualified. 

3. Please no cheating. This competition is meant to be fun and for bragging rights. Cheaters will be disqualified and banned from any future competitions(PEDS were not used for Frankenfrag).

4. The frags must remain on the original or similar plug. You may modify the plug if needed example cutting off the stem for placement but only once. You may place the frag anywhere you want in your tank and you may move it to a different spot during the competition but it is frowned upon  and you cannot move it to a new tank as the point is to see how the frag does over time in different systems.

5. Initial photos of frags need to have a top down as well as side shot so we can all see the frag and what you are starting with, a ruler next to the frag to provide proof of coverage is preferred. No hiding encrusting parts in your photos. Not following the rules will cause you to be disqualified, I know that sounds harsh but it is out of fairness to the rest of the group. Remember a lot can happen in 4 months. During the last growout many were DQ'd due to not posting. It's really simple. JUST DO IT. Length of competition: The competition will run for 4 months. This will give us enough time for the frag to grow. A lot can happen in 4 months and a lot of people could drop out, so if you are persistent, you have a chance to win the grand prize. This will give EVERYONE the same advantage\disadvantage with acclimation and so on. Pictures will be required frequently for updates. Final post will be September 7th 2016 for the winner. 

Judging a winner: Will be a little different this grow out. The most growth over the frag plug from the initial size wins, Mounding will not be a factor. We will make the final measurements by September 7th preferably with the same ruler used in the initial few posts.

Winner  of each category shall have glorious bragging rights along with the honors of choosing a desired "Nick Name" for their winning Goni.

and there will be prizes...

The first being a $50.00 gift certificate to The Premium Aquarium

and Second wins a choice zoa or SPS frag pack.

and Third will get the zoa or SPS frag pack not already taken by 2nd.

Here I will be including a list of people who have checked in that will be updated over the length of the competition.

5)Lexinverts-*

8) HigheThinking-*

17) Eclipse-*

20) Kenshin-*

• Like 2

7\8ths of an inch or 14 Centimeters on mine. I recommend "scaring" the goniopora prior to the pictures this will make taking the measurement easier.

SAM_0346_zpskhp1f5xl.jpg

Just shy of an inch but I see so many heads forming already that I know this one will grow for me.

SAM_0352_zpsl2g3y3du.jpg

Front

SAM_0353_zpsdk6cat19.jpg

And back just for future reference.

System Details- 40 Gallon Breeder with 1 moded D-120 LED unit for the whole tank, this guy likes to be on the edges.

Filtration- a Aqua Clear 70 with carbon and a Coralife 125 protein skimmer.

Circulation- Sun Sun 800 Gallon Per Hour pumps x 2 combined with filtration = 2000GPH just over 20x turn over rate.

Water changes- maybe once a month but more realistically when the debris build up and I need to do equipment maintenance.

Fish and Feeding- Just a Kupang Damsel, a Clarkii, redspot hawkfish, and a blue spot goby all get omega one every day and frozen brine or mysis twice a week. The corals all benefit form this as the food is kind of liberally broadcast fed. I have a few brittle stars who keep the excess down.

Supplements- 3 part dosing caclium,alk, mag, Red Sea foundation from time to time, Fuel Amino acids, HRD Carbon dosing, 

Parameters- PH 7.9-8.1, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 5-10ish, phosphates .1, calcium 410, Alk 7, Mag 1200+,

• Like 5

mine is in my frag tank.

lighting, 36" 6 bulb T5's I honestly don't know the bulb combo...

Alk. 8.5

cal. 332 I am working on getting it back up to 430

mag. I don't know lol

Flow. 1 rw8

Water volume. 200 gal

Dose. BRS 2 part

mine is at 7/8" and looks like it is grown quite nicely!

Size

36186566070bc48f6c063f4505f7ef2a.jpg

One side

215eb0d3865feca529072f993151d982.jpg

The other side

9b6ccb9f4374ea87c62319fdaa9f07af.jpg

Edited by matt
  • Like 2

Mine's in my home RSM 250 (66 gallon) display tank.

Flow: Mp10 and Maxspect Gyre 130.

Lighting: Phillips Luxeon LEDs via Steve's LEDs retrofit kit.

Stock skimmer and Santa Monica Filtration Drop 1.4x algae scrubber for nutrient control.

One 10% water change weekly.

Triton Elementz dosing via a Kamoer 4 channel dosing pump.

Phosphate: .07
Nitrate: 4 ppm
KH: 8.0
Mg: 1350
Ca 460

Alveopora and Goniopora fed twice weekly with Two Little Fishies Goniopower.

The growout Goniopora frag is placed on the sandbed.

Full tank shot:
IMG_2506_zpsuwj2trab.jpg

Top view: it's about 15/16 of an inch at the longest
IMG_2780_zpsdcfkjgqm.jpg

Front view
IMG_2771_zpskciwysch.jpg

Back view
IMG_2775_zpsv2z0lnkx.jpg

Thanks for running another grow-out, Robert!

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 2

Yeah mine is struggling as well...just can't seem to find a happy place for it.. I guess since its alive still that is a good thing but that's all I got. So I'm out, I just hope to find the sweet spot and keep it alive now..so keep posting pics and information so I can try to match.... good luck everyone.

• Like 1

Mine is in my frag tank, which are two 40 gallon tanks plumbed together with a 40 gallon sump.  The tank it is in is only about 7" deep.  I run OR247, 1 1/2 hours blues alone, with 7 1/2 hours blues and whites.  I hand dose Brightwell Code A & B.  I have a cheap-o Chinese powerhead running in there, with this particular frag in medium to low flow.  I keep a 6-line and a 2-bar rabbit fish (super cute--about 1 1/2 inch long) and only feed the tank lightly.

So...here's the rub.  I'm out of town and won't be back until Sunday the 8th, at which time I will be seriously jet lagged.  Can I please, please, please have a couple of extra days to post the pics?  Please???

• Like 2

Well my little guy is also in my frag tank system. 75 gallon custom frag tank pipped into a 40b mother colony tank and both are connected to my cooler sump :) so a totally of about 150 gallons. I feed the tank pretty lightly and dose iodine once a week. The only two fish are my yellow tang and Maroon clownfish.

Equipment:

2 ocean Revive T247s they run for 9 hours about 40% intensity.

Jabeo RW8 on else mode

ALK: 8.5

Ca: 450

Mag: no idea haha.

Phosphate/nitrate: 0

Size is roughly at 3/4"

e62459838280ad11c665d1c2d07c15c8.jpg85f7933e763b0333e1a34d1837599194.jpgc3ebd7b47c0d865534857cccf00b4972.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mine is in my frag tank, which are two 40 gallon tanks plumbed together with a 40 gallon sump.  The tank it is in is only about 7" deep.  I run OR247, 1 1/2 hours blues alone, with 7 1/2 hours blues and whites.  I hand dose Brightwell Code A & B.  I have a cheap-o Chinese powerhead running in there, with this particular frag in medium to low flow.  I keep a 6-line and a 2-bar rabbit fish (super cute--about 1 1/2 inch long) and only feed the tank lightly.

So...here's the rub.  I'm out of town and won't be back until Sunday the 8th, at which time I will be seriously jet lagged.  Can I please, please, please have a couple of extra days to post the pics?  Please???

Disqualified. Buh-bye. :nono:

• Like 4

c944eb5b8bff8fe3259a3ac290c87079.jpg

f51690a7c02f273622379b092969f5d4.jpg

0100f71a2e542c08dcd9e19593960730.jpg

Here is mine, looks to be maybe 7/8" across. It's in a 40b with 15 gallons sump running rowaphos and asm mining skimmer. Reefcorner 120d led blues about 60% 12 hrs a day whites about 15% 8 hrs a day. Currently not feeding trying to get gha under control lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just curious what intensity do you run you blues and whites at? As for extra time not up to me but doesnt bother me any, but Im out of the competition.

Good Golly Mis Goni!!! Love the polyp extension on some of your frags guys and gals, nice and plump.

and Holly, you can have that extra two days, thats it, and only because I want as many contestants in as possible. I don't want any one thinking that it is because of favoritism.

• Like 1

Here goes:

75 gallon display. 29 gallon sump.
Flow: Medium. Hydra wave controller adds alternation, plus a sea swirl
Lighting: Hydra 52's. 40% intensity.
Water Change: 5 gallon bucket twice a week.

Carbon Dosing: 3mL of Vodka in the morning and night.

Phosphate: .04
Nitrate: 2 ppm
KH: 8.5
Mg: 1440
Ca 420

Fed: Every other day is Red Sea Energy, the opposite is BRS Reef Chili.

Length: 7/8 inch

Height: 1/2 inch

2ir7tpv.jpg

28rmrt4.jpg

Added some sugar sand a couple days ago and it doesn't seem to want to come out, but it will. Also, got some hair algae starting, but it seems that it is fairly hardy.

10qmd15.jpg

• Like 1

Display tank is 55 gals and sump is 30 gals

Filtration- plants/macroalgea/ and filter pad.

Light- two Ai prime Led

Flow- two 1150 Hydor pumps and alternating flow. I think the return is 1100.

Fish- 3 chromis and 1 scooter blenny

No supplements and I am not directly feeding coralsadded

Water changes about every two weeks.

Phosphate 0.0

Ca 500?

Kh 196.9 ppm

Mg over 1500

Nitrate 0

Frag is placed a little under half way from the top.

Measurement 3/4 x 7/16 post-15393-146223224522_thumb.jpg

post-15393-146223231858_thumb.jpg

post-15393-146223234959_thumb.jpg

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Display tank is 70 gallon.

Filtration: 20.4 gallon Aqueon Proflex sump. CAD lights Pls-150 protein skimmer.

Lights: 2 OceanRevive T247's white at 60% run for 8hr.

Flow: 1 Jebao PP8, 2 Rossmont 1500 M series. Alternate between both.

Dosing: ESV bionic calcium buffer system. Dosed by Bubble-magus dosing pump.

15% water change every other week.

1 midas blenny, 4 blue chromis, 1 domino clown, 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 diamond goby 2 dispar anthias, 1 gramma

Phosphates: 0

Nitrates: 2ppm

Kh: 8.8

Ca: 490

Mag: 1455

Frag placed on sand bed.

15/16" X 11/16"

79270c095ed0fc2bcae4a19f992bf0df.jpg

98d4645dcd4fb914ee06cf915b8de06e.jpg

03093ab66d42391e07a721be7171ba1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok here is mine.........40 breeder in the garage for now........

29 gallon sump with a bunch of macro and a curve 5 skimmer.

ATI 24" Hybrid

Flow is a DC3000 return with a MP10

Parameters well who tests...........not me........things are alive so.........

On to the pics :laugh:

Happy IMG_2018.jpg

Pissed off......IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

• Like 2

Mine is in a 10g QT/frag tank with basic heater, nano koralia, and HOB filter with carbon and a sponge pulled from my display sump (was initially to cycle the tank, but I just left it in there). Once a week or so, I toss in a few fish food pellets for the snails; I don't do any direct coral feeding in this tank, and there's no fancy supplements or other additives going in. The lighting is a 2-bulb T5 fixture that's running old bulbs (new ones arriving next week), one coral plus and one blue plus. I do water changes about once a month, usually around 4 gallons. 

Frag is about 7/8" right now. 

DSC_6593.jpg

DSC_6599.jpg

DSC_6602.jpg

DSC_6603.jpg

DSC_6604.jpg

DSC_6586.jpg

• Like 3

Tank is 180 gallon with a remote sump that's around 25 gallons.

Lighting is three Radion Gen 3. Although I have done retro fit equipment for t5s, but I'm not sure when I'll finally get them hooked up. Maybe not until after the contest even. Flow is with Gyre - 150.

I dose Reef Plus and Reef Trace a couple times a week. I do ten percent water changes if I get bored (once a month maybe).

Supplementing is done through calcium reactor.

Alk: Around 8

Calcium: Haven't checked in a while but typically around 420.

Nitrates: just use API to make sure they're undetectable with that test. Haven't tested in many months.

Phos: Usually around .08

Top:

359af4031ef4940d367966aa3a45690a.jpg

Side:

e0ae26d514b0d7337a8ba0c2b0bcf3ea.jpg

Other side:

eb10c1148408aab5f315cb3a073974f9.jpg

I'll have to try for better pics next time. Just using the old cell phone and this camera sucks.

• Like 1

*TANK SPECS~

A 60 GALLON MIXED REEF STACK.

3 WATT FULL SPECTRUM LED'S ON MY DISPLAY AND SUMP.T5's on my secondary tank.

2 MAXI JETS FOR FLOW AND A LARGE GENERIC RETURN PUMP.

FOR FILTRATION I USE CARBON,PURIGEN,MACRO AND A ODESSEA SKIMMER.

I USE BRS 3 PART DOSING AND I AM CURRENTLY EXPERIMENTING WITH THE RED SEA CORAL COLORS PROGRAM.I ALSO DOSE TWO DROPS OF VODKA PER DAY.

FEEDING CONSIST OF PELLETED FOODS AND VAROIUS FROZEN FOODS.

I TRY TO MAINTAIN ONCE A MONTH WATER CHANGES ON THIS SYSTEM.

PLACEMENT WILL BE IN THE FAR UPPER LEFT UNDER THE SAND PIPE. SHOWN BELOW;WP_20151211_023_zpseqrcgiua.jpg

{Frag Specs} 3/4" tall by 1" by 1/2".SAM_0467_zpsroutmm7g.jpg

SAM_0470_zps7zez5xsw.jpg

Edited by kireek

I am giving it until tonight as Gill&fin and Wingrider were in need of an extra day for special circumstances.

And what are you talking about? You got some coral growing skills man, and now that the new tank is chugging along steady you should do rather well right. In fact I was hoping most of these would do well in others aquariums, I know some goinoporas are not as easy going as this one is. There is certainly some very nice polyp extension in some of these pictures and the color seems to be holding rather well so that tells me we have a nice specimen here.

• Like 2