ATO unit.

Flash21

So I think I have narrowed my choices to three ATO units.

What are you thoughts?!

Tunze nano 3152

JBJ

Hydro Smart.

Just yesterday being out and about at the coast. Tank lost 8-10oz of water and my concern being gone next month for 5 days scares me.

I've had all three of these.

JBJ lasted about 5 months and pooped out on me.

I have two Tunzes, and they work well and are going strong after 2+ years. My only complaint about the Tunzes is that they dump all of the water out of the hose every time that you turn them on and off. This results in extra RO water in the tank after you make an adjustment, etc... This is more of an issue with a smaller reef tank, however, since it is easy for me to have my water level go a little too high after a water change if I don't replace slightly less water than I take out. Probably not an issue if you are running 150 gallons.

My Hydor is working really well, and it doesn't have the issue I mentioned with the Tunze.

The AutoTopOff.Com one is the easiest of All them to figure out...

See that Black Thing on there with the Zip Ties? That hangs on the back of your tank in a back chamber, the one with the Snail Guard you zip tie to it where you want your water level, the Float switch without a snail guard gets zip tied to the black thing above the bottom one for safety, You plug in the power cord, then you plug your pump into the empty outlet on the black box, when the float switch on the bottom drops like a toilet the pump activates pumping water into the tank, if for any reason that switch fails and it gets to the top switch it will shut off the ATO

Oh btw if you choose the Tunzee or the Hydor, ensure you regulate your water flow or get a slow moving pump. Both ATO's have overfill Sensors that alarm. In the back of an AIO where the switches will be if the water comes out of there to fast it will always go over the Sensor before it registers and shuts it off. It's not a bad thing as it will stop it will just always be a tad over, but the Hydor and Tunzee will be very displeased and and they will sound an alarm. I use a ball valve adjuster on the end of my input hose to adjust the flow incoming. 

TUNZE NANO all the way. Hydor ATO is pretty meh and it lets the water evap for while before re filling. The Tunze Nano for the price is one of my favorite ATO's. I do not have experience with the JBJ but I hear its decent. 

I recently had a problem with my tunze that's about two years old now...calcium build up on the float and housing caused the float to stick on while on vacation..it's one that doesn't have the optical sensor.

Whatever you end up with make sure to keep any float valves clean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Just hooked up the ATO.

So far so good. Hard to tell from one day of use. Tank looses about 8oz a day give or take. I'll know more tomorrow if I need to move it up or down.

For the 100$ it's well worth it.

Thanks everyone for the input!

• Like 1