Newbie here setting up my first tank

mpalma0628

I'm a newbie to the hobby. I'm setting up a 90 gallon (I know, I like to dive in head first lol) I'm running a 3rd generation reef sump the RS200 from eshopps, a bubble maggus curve 5 protein skimmer, pf800 overflow box, sicce 5.0 pump and 1 koaralia powerhead, the other is a different brand but I was told they're the guys who used to design the koralias. I'm super excited to get stuff going but I do have a dog face puffer in there (my baby lol). My question is can it be done with the puffer in there?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well I had a 29 gallon fish only tank for a few months. I started to add some reef and quickly realized I was way under equipped. In that tank the puffer only seemed to like green polyps, he left my orange, yellow, and Starburst polyps alone as well as my leathers. However stony corals were to him as a good pie is to me lol. They didn't last

Yeah I love puffers but if you want stony corals they are not compatible. Even well fed puffers can't resist the crunch of a nice corals no more then of you leave a bag of Cheetos out for the kids!

They tend to leave softies alone. I had one in a tank with mostly softies and had no issues.

• 1 month later...

Yeah same here, the wife got really upset that I even mentioned moving the puffer but I was planning on sticking to softies. Thanks for the advice everyone. I look forward to posting pics as I add reef.

And here I am, setting up a shark tank, and I totally can't add puffers because they would totally kill any sharks I could get.