Nice 40gal breeder

NanoDrummer09

After recently moving I finally got my tank up and running. It's a 40galbreeder withDIY LED lighting on a controller for a sunrise sunset setting. 20gal sump with Cad Lights protein skimmer and 2 reactors carbon/GFO with a ecoplus528 for my return.

2 b&w snowflake clowns with a sand sifter

Corals I have a small collection of zoas (not sure the names, nothing fancy... Yet.) and two colonies of frogspawn. I started dosing PolyLab "reef-roids" tonight was my second time dosing and I can definitely see some health in the corals. I only use half the recommended dosage (1/4tsp per 25gal) and direct feed with pumps off. Have a little apestia problem but just threw in a peppermint shrimp to hopefully clear that up. Also seeing an algae problem on the sand bed but I believe it is due to flow patterns and working on that. Hope to make this as interactive as possible so let me know what y'all think, any advice or questions welcome! 52b0bd655ab1adfdafa6f9b05007d972.jpge7668041cb446a0d958a8d40cbb0dd36.jpgd6b64ccfaa0fcf7d89212d4eee0955cf.jpgac33bc4167b8eb6c7e8b4a6392f5a400.jpg25e59cca3ab727dc2b2f1e7d1cbea305.jpg

It's suppose to say Nics 40gal not "nice"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by NanoDrummer09
  • Like 3

Nice new tank! As far as zoas "in demand" usually comes with a price tag. Everyone always wants candy apple reds, utter chaos, Rastas, etc to name a few. I'd try and get with some fellow members to get your collection started :)

Also a tip, I never noticed a difference with just 1 peppermint shrimp but when I hit about 5 all the aptaisa would disappear quickly.

• Like 1

Nice new tank! As far as zoas "in demand" usually comes with a price tag. Everyone always wants candy apple reds, utter chaos, Rastas, etc to name a few. I'd try and get with some fellow members to get your collection started :)

Also a tip, I never noticed a difference with just 1 peppermint shrimp but when I hit about 5 all the aptaisa would disappear quickly.

Thanks for the peppermint tip!

Ya I just got some gorilla nips and gobstoppers zoas and once I see some more good growth I'll start searching for some more exotic ones.

• 1 month later...

I need to get some pictures up, hopefully ill do that today!  Tank is looking good.  I need to get another testing kit as i have just run out of mine.  I realized this after i noticed some of my LPS not expanding as much.  Ive upped my frequency of water changes to every week and changed out my carbon and GFO, so hopefully that helps.

Looking into Low light reefs.  Anyone ever done this?  I imagine it will slow growth down and fade color possibly but I'm not comfortable going non-photosynthetic corals yet so I'm just curious.  

THanks, I'm facing a little of an apestia problem but this article helped a lot 

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/blog/2010/02/01/35-various-ways-of-eradicating-aiptasia

I had success with peppermint shrimp before so might go buy a few to nip it in the butt.  Im having pretty awesome growth from my Zoas but very little luck with SPS.  I need to get a new testing kit but what are the most important things to keep track of specifically for SPS?  calcium? phosphates?  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Decided to revamp the refugium and trimmed the chaeto back and sucked out most of the sand. Tank needed some TLC so I did a ten gal water change and got some new zoas and a trio of Cromis thanks to Premium Aquariums in Wilsonville. After going on vacation the tank got too dirty for its own good and my frogspawn didn't seem to make it I have them on the sand bed to hopefully recoup reccomendations?? d6df74bc58548ee1583a2f09d4460946.jpgfa8d31b8ed0eaeda25c2a05739de5b96.jpg

Hard to see but there is life there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk