(re)introduction

albertareef

Hello all,

I am attempting a comeback after several years of downtime. I was most "recently" running a 120 gallon double cube (48X24X24) Tricon tank set up as a mixed reef with 2x250 MH and VHO lighting and all the standard goodies (ca reactor, sea swirls, controller, etc.).  I had things dialed in really nicely and had many frags provided by members of this board growing fast and coloring up nicely. That was until my wife got ill and a minor tank crash resulted in the bad boys below taking over and killing all my nice coral! post-13130-0-47081500-1459382690_thumb.jpg

Since then, I tore down the tank (much to the benefit of my electric bill) and stuck it in the basement too disheartened to try and put it back up. In the meantime, over 100 pounds of previously live rock has sat in my driveway taunting me on a daily basis. Despite that, I keep popping into Cuttlefish and Coral on my visits to Mississippi to ogle all the new coral that show up. I know, why torture myself?  Well, the wife and I used to spend hours just staring at the tank finding new things to marvel at every day and this is as close as we get anymore.

Well... I just don't think I can take it anymore so we talked it over and decided we would try to re-take the plunge. Have been debating large tank vs. small tank (enjoying seeing all the new nanos out there) but our love of wrasses is pushing us toward a decent sized tank again. We taped out a few profiles in the room where we kept the tank and decided we really liked the footprint of a 6ft 125 (72x18x24) and are leaning that way. It may limit the seascaping options but the large viewing area (compared to our 48 inch) seems like a nice bonus and it just fits the space better.

Currently trying to secure a Miracles in Glass Starphire so who knows... maybe we will have a tank again soon! Granted, I want to spend some time really getting the setup right so probably nothing happening immediately but, hopefully, I will be back on the board hunting down frags again in the not too distant future!  In the meantime, I will try and get reacquainted with the gang on here (ran into Chewie last weekend) and try and get caught up on all the advances that have rolled out over the last few years.

Thanks for all of your help during my previous tank experience - I hope to be tapping the vast expertise on this board again soon.

All the best...

Welcome back. Was your forum name albertareef before?

Ahhh the good old days when mhs and vhos and sea swirls were all the rage.

I had a sweet vho/Mh tank as one of my first tanks!

Thanks! I am looking forward to putting something together. Yes, albertareef has always been my PNWMAS user name but I discovered the board fairly late in my tank-keeping days. Used to go to Souta's when it was run out of Rick's garage.

Thanks! I am looking forward to putting something together. Yes, albertareef has always been my PNWMAS user name but I discovered the board fairly late in my tank-keeping days. Used to go to Souta's when it was run out of Rick's garage.

Hope to meet you. Yeah Souta's was the place to go back on the day too bad it's closed down now. He had lots of Oregon tort along with upscales.

Hope to meet you. Yeah Souta's was the place to go back on the day too bad it's closed down now. He had lots of Oregon tort along with upscales.

Indeed. Some of the colonies in the show tank at the last location were pretty spectacular. It was a real shame to lose that place as a resource.  I had some of that tort as well... very nice.

Looks like I did end up with the 125 gallon miracles in glass starphire tank - made the first equipment run last night - so I am guessing I will be seeing, or at least talking to, a lot of the folk on here soon.