Is that a leathery linkia starfish in my rock??

TheClark

I had a ton of debris when I ordered some awhile back, not a whole starfish though.

When I cured my pukani rocks it took forever, I probably still didn't do it long enough as it still grew a ton of algae.  I cooked a few other pieces of pukani in acid and that time didn't have any issues, so it certainly does leach for awhile.

• Like 1

I had a ton of debris when I ordered some awhile back, not a whole starfish though.

When I cured my pukani rocks it took forever, I probably still didn't do it long enough as it still grew a ton of algae.  I cooked a few other pieces of pukani in acid and that time didn't have any issues, so it certainly does leach for awhile.

Thanks for sharing.  That is my biggest fear for sure.  

I did the rock reincarnation method on my son's tank

Here is that read:

Rock reincarnation... beyond "cooking"

Basically it is both muriatic acid AND bleach, pretty extreme...

Sadly despite our best efforts he is still getting a good amount of hair algae. 

Patience, patience I suppose.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Soaked and rinsed for a few months here off and on.  Thinking the starfish would dissolve.  It did not!

It was still wedged in the rock although now it is white.

Pulled it out, pressure washed the rocks, back to soaking.

This batch was particularly filthy but nice big size pieces...

• Like 1

Soaked and rinsed for a few months here off and on.  Thinking the starfish would dissolve.  It did not!

It was still wedged in the rock although now it is white.

Pulled it out, pressure washed the rocks, back to soaking.

This batch was particularly filthy but nice big size pieces...

Wow I got some also..........ordered 40lbs or so and got 3 rocks..........first week it stunk up the garage.......changed water and second week smell is gone.....changed water again and tossed a skimmer in the can and all is good.......

• Like 1

Wow I got some also..........ordered 40lbs or so and got 3 rocks..........first week it stunk up the garage.......changed water and second week smell is gone.....changed water again and tossed a skimmer in the can and all is good.......

Nice!  There is hope...

• Like 1

Man! I'm still not looking forward to doing mine  :laugh:

Did you pick up some new stuff or that shared batch we went in on together?  That shared stuff was much better than the latest I ordered from BRS.  Good luck though!

Did you pick up some new stuff or that shared batch we went in on together?  That shared stuff was much better than the latest I ordered from BRS.  Good luck though!

Yep, the same batch. I hope it goes well when i finally get to it.