Purple Tang Compatibility

BeasileyBub

I know that Purple Tangs can be extreme dicks when it comes to other Tangs. But a friend is thinking about passing along a purple tang to me and I am wondering whether or not I'll have issues with my Blue Tang- Paracanthurus hepatus. I know it's not the same shape aka not a member of the Zebrasoma genus. If anyone has any experience or comments that would be much appreciated. 

Tang police comments welcome. 

Edited by BeasileyBub

There will be a scrap that's for sure. It's true purple tangs are the devil. However, I think adding a purple to a blue instead of adding a blue to a purple won't be as bloody. It helps if the new tang being added is slightly bigger than the existing tang. I feel it gives them a better chance at survival when being attacked under stress. GL Ana! :)

Ps. An acclimation box might not be a terrible idea. You can make one out of egg crate fairly easy.

Edited by Jorge

I have a purple tank and it gets along with the other tangs just fine! Fought with the yellow tang for a little bit they seemed to work it out haha. We also have a naso and blue hippo tang in that tank. So a wide range and I never see them fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I had a purple tang... for about a month.  Got him as a rescue (in my eyes) from petco.  Already had a Tomini and Tennenti tang, at first everyone got along fine.  Around week three ol purple got SUPER bossy and started to pick on everyone and everything.  I bet he was feeling a lot better being several shades darker purple and fat as a hog.

I should have known when i bought him as it took 4+ bags, he kept ramming the bag with spikes on his dorsal fin, never seen or heard of them doing this.  Everyone there was both frightened and impressed. hahah

• 2 months later...