April Meeting - Oregon Coast Aquarium/Hatfield Behind-The-Scenes Tours

JManrow

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks!

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in a week at HMSC and shortly thereafter at the AQSB. Getting from Hatfield to the OCCC campus is quick and easy. The official Google maps link is here.

There is also a shortcut that allows you to avoid getting back on 101 altogether. If you zoom on the map, you'll notice that Ferry Slip Road goes right by Oregon Coast Aquarium. As you leave HMSC, instead of continuing over to 101, hang a left on Ferry Slip Rd. and take that almost all the way to 101. Just before you get to 101, you'll see Ash Street on your left (look for the predictably ugly storage place on the left.) Take that left on Ash and go a short distance to SE 40th Street. Take that left and head up the hill to the OCCC campus. Easy peasy. When you guys leave the AQSB, you can take a right on Ash and follow Ferry Slip Rd back to the Aquarium.

As usual, let's meet out in front of the HMSC Visitor's Center at 10. I'll lead a behind-the-scenes tour that can last as long as you guys want but we should probably head up to the AQSB around 10:45-11:00 to give you plenty of time to check out that facility before grabbing a bite and heading over to OCA. If you have any questions about places to eat (or avoid) just drop me a line or a PM and I'll get back to you.

See you next Sunday at 10 sharp!

Cheers,

Sid

• Like 3

Hey folks!

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in a week at HMSC and shortly thereafter at the AQSB. Getting from Hatfield to the OCCC campus is quick and easy. The official Google maps link is here.

There is also a shortcut that allows you to avoid getting back on 101 altogether. If you zoom on the map, you'll notice that Ferry Slip Road goes right by Oregon Coast Aquarium. As you leave HMSC, instead of continuing over to 101, hang a left on Ferry Slip Rd. and take that almost all the way to 101. Just before you get to 101, you'll see Ash Street on your left (look for the predictably ugly storage place on the left.) Take that left on Ash and go a short distance to SE 40th Street. Take that left and head up the hill to the OCCC campus. Easy peasy. When you guys leave the AQSB, you can take a right on Ash and follow Ferry Slip Rd back to the Aquarium.

As usual, let's meet out in front of the HMSC Visitor's Center at 10. I'll lead a behind-the-scenes tour that can last as long as you guys want but we should probably head up to the AQSB around 10:45-11:00 to give you plenty of time to check out that facility before grabbing a bite and heading over to OCA. If you have any questions about places to eat (or avoid) just drop me a line or a PM and I'll get back to you.

Cheers,

Sid

Hey Sid,

Just out of curiosity, can dogs be in the tour?

• Like 1

Hey folks!

Cheers,

Sid

All is looking good for Sunday! I am headed to Newport Saturday, so I can be at HMSC rested and on time! :) I will make some copies of the map from HMSC to the Aquarium Science Building. See you all there!

• Like 2

OH WOW!!! 

What a day! It was so much to intake I was on overload for a while there. 

I took a number of pictures and have many shots to post but unfortunately it is taking some time uploading them to photobucket so I will get some of the killer shots posted up tomorrow. It will be worth the wait for sure.

• Like 4

What a great day for sure!!

Couldn't put it better myself, so I flat-out stole the quote!

Folks, it was a pleasure to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones yesterday. And what a great turnout! On behalf of Dr. Tim and myself, thanks for coming to our facilities yesterday. We look forward to seeing you all next year.

As an aside, I heard a number of you express disappointment about not being able to see all the labs yesterday. These labs are only open to tours one day a year and as fate would have it, that day was a week ago Saturday. If you would like a far more extensive BTS tour, please come for Marine Science Day next spring. It is usually the first or second week in April and I will make a post about it in the HMSC forum next year to give you all a heads-up.

Thanks again for a great day! (Sorry fishoutawater, I stole your quote twice!)

• Like 1

Couldn't put it better myself, so I flat-out stole the quote!

Folks, it was a pleasure to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones yesterday. And what a great turnout! On behalf of Dr. Tim and myself, thanks for coming to our facilities yesterday. We look forward to seeing you all next year.

As an aside, I heard a number of you express disappointment about not being able to see all the labs yesterday. These labs are only open to tours one day a year and as fate would have it, that day was a week ago Saturday. If you would like a far more extensive BTS tour, please come for Marine Science Day next spring. It is usually the first or second week in April and I will make a post about it in the HMSC forum next year to give you all a heads-up.

Thanks again for a great day! (Sorry fishoutawater, I stole your quote twice!)

Thanks again Sid! These tours just keep getting better! :thumbs":  Also, be sure to give our thanks Dr. Tim, and the rest of the HMSC Staff for making this possible! I will also make a note of Marine Science Day in April in our Officer/BOD section, to help with event scheduling for the upcoming 2016-2017 term! We should probably start some new posts in the HMSC Thread, which is located in the Discovery and Educational section of the PNWMAS Forum!   http://www.pnwmas.org/forum/33-hatfield-marine-science-center/