My acro collection

reefnjunkie

On 3/14/2017 at 10:29 PM, Higher Thinking said:

Care to elaborate? Anything to learn from this?

Hey Andrew  sorry for the delay I had logged in since last post and not subscribed (at least I wasn't) to my thread. 

I honestly don't know what it was but I think it became a combination of flow with food/detritus being collected in parts  of the colony that slowly deteriorated causing bacterial issues. Having such large colonies you need to stay on top of blowing/basting anything that collects so it doesn't become a potential issue (I knew that but got behind) That might explain the areas that died in the center or within a cluster of branches but the bass up I can't begin to guess. 

The list is long what I've done over the months and everything (I mean everything- short of sending a water sample to Triton) has been looked at, considered, discussed, contemplated, implemented, replaced etc LOL

I see it as a way to redo the tank, it was beautiful at one point but it was stocked and there wasn't anything to do but sit back and enjoy the view........what fun is that :unsure:

The last piece that looks like it's headed to saw (actually because of the sizes I drop the colonies on the concrete and see what happens) is my Upscales Micro--- it has actually has worked well, I've gotten many many colonies where the piece breaks. I did have to use the Sawzall on the Del Fuego.

Im sure none of this has to do with me being cocky and joking about 6-8 months ago when I said I need I need post a thread in the emergency forum 

"HELP MY SPS ARE GROWING TO FAST"  :nooo:

I'll be back to that point soon I'm sure and maybe this time I keep certain thoughts to myself, just in case HAHAHA

Keep your corals clean folks, nothing better than weekly basting or using a small maxi jet to blow off rocks/corals

Edited by reefnjunkie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, reefnjunkie said:

Hey Andrew  sorry for the delay I had logged in since last post and not subscribed (at least I wasn't) to my thread. 

I honestly don't know what it was but I think it became a combination of flow with food/detritus being collected in parts  of the colony that slowly deteriorated causing bacterial issues. Having such large colonies you need to stay on top of blowing/basting anything that collects so it doesn't become a potential issue (I knew that but got behind) That might explain the areas that died in the center or within a cluster of branches but the bass up I can't begin to guess. 

The list is long what I've done over the months and everything (I mean everything- short of sending a water sample to Triton) has been looked at, considered, discussed, contemplated, implemented, replaced etc LOL

I see it as a way to redo the tank, it was beautiful at one point but it was stocked and there wasn't anything to do but sit back and enjoy the view........what fun is that :unsure:

The last piece that looks like it's headed to saw (actually because of the sizes I drop the colonies on the concrete and see what happens) is my Upscales Micro--- it has actually has worked well, I've gotten many many colonies where the piece breaks. I did have to use the Sawzall on the Del Fuego.

Im sure none of this has to do with me being cocky and joking about 6-8 months ago when I said I need I need post a thread in the emergency forum 

"HELP MY SPS ARE GROWING TO FAST"  :nooo:

I'll be back to that point soon I'm sure and maybe this time I keep certain thoughts to myself, just in case HAHAHA

Keep your corals clean folks, nothing better than weekly basting or using a small maxi jet to blow off rocks/corals

This is really good feedback, especially for people who may not have had/maintained large colonies before.  Granted, it may be a bit of a "first world" coral problem but hey, a guy /gal can dream can't they?  Thanks for the info!

• Like 2

I'll sweep up the concrete for a piece of the microclades. Still haven't added they local gem to the collection.

Thanks for the detailed response.

3 minutes ago, reefnjunkie said:

It hurt me too but I don't flood the local market.

Years ago the club did a growout contest with candy apple red zoas- what was once a 30.00 a head frag became 10 heads for 25.00.

Pretty sad.

I'm for reseeding the ocean tho :)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Makes a lot of sense.  If only there were a way of efficiently reintroducing... guessing we may be in that position sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, reefnjunkie said:

Soooo beautiful!  Thanks for sharing the collection.  Managed to find the Acid Trip in there right away - it's so distinctive. The pics are great BTW.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...