Is ecotech worth the cost?

LadySaber

Starting to upgrade the equipment in my Nuevo 20. Ordering the ghost desktop skimmer and need to replace my temporary pump I have,that is replacing a jebao wp that died. Due to cost I was thinking of the jebao rw4, but I see tons of people using the mp10. It's just the 235.00 cost of it that is a lot for me. Anyways is it honestly worth me spending or I should say saving up for one or just stick to the jebao for my setup? I have softies and lps.

Now that Ecotech has lowered their prices and reduced the pump noise, I think they are worth it. I love my MP10s. They used to be 300 bucks and were really noisy.

If you have a bigger tank, the Maxspect Gyres are a better value than the Ecotechs, but both work really well.

I have found my Jebaos to lose some power over their lifetime, but they work pretty well for me for at least a year. You can get the WP25 pumps for 40 bucks on amazon. Nothing cheaper than that.

Starting to upgrade the equipment in my Nuevo 20. Ordering the ghost desktop skimmer and need to replace my temporary pump I have,that is replacing a jebao wp that died. Due to cost I was thinking of the jebao rw4, but I see tons of people using the mp10. It's just the 235.00 cost of it that is a lot for me. Anyways is it honestly worth me spending or I should say saving up for one or just stick to the jebao for my setup? I have softies and lps.

Might want to look at a few reviews before pulling the trigger on the Ghost Skimmer, better yet, see if you can find any photos showing the skimmate they pull :)

Edited by Exodus

I have been checking reviews on the ghost basically it's 50/50 so I guess you love it or hate it... Lol I know a few people on here have it and seem ok with it. I was thinking of using the tune 9001 and split the pumps but I don't have a ato so it's very dependant on water levels and in that main chamber it fluctuates a lot so I figured the ghost would work better than the bio air stone one I have there now. Ok will check the group buy on BRS.

I did not have a good experience with my Vortechs. 

I found they broke so often I had to have a back up pump for when I sent them to be repaired (under warranty but still 6 weeks to get them returned is far to long). 

So I got jaebo's for back up pumps and liked them so much I sold the vortechs.

Sure jaebo's might not last as long as vortechs, but my I have 4 of them and they are all at least 2 years old now. Still running great for me. I do clean them every month or two with white vinegar, but that's about it. For the cost though you can sure buy a lot of Jaebos for the price of one Vortech and i also find... your going to need to buy a back up pump for the vortech anyway IME. 

The other thing I do not like about the vortech, which is completely not vortechs fault, is that people coming to the house would always pull the thing off, "oh what is this thing?" It was annoying. 

If you do go with the Vortech, i did the ceramic bearing mod on the one I kept and it did make it much quieter. 

Not mentioned by Tunze makes a very nice small controllable pump, and while I have not used the controlable model, I have used other pumps of theirs and been very happy. 

JME

• Like 2

isnt the new vortech pumps now all with ceramic bearings?  Yeah I saw the one for sale too late though to jump on it. Oh well keep bringing in your thoughts they will impact what I do buy. Kim you still running the ghost right? The Jabao I had lasted about a year with me and I got it used. Plus I found out after I tossed it how to fix it..LOLOL

Yes I have the ghost skimmer. I'm not thrilled with it and would recommend you get something different but it's the only one that fits in the designated chamber.

You would have to cram pretty much any other skimmer in the middle chamber.

Mp10 on the other hand have been quite happy. It can get a little loud at times but I beat the newer ones are better. The flow is just perfect for the fusions though. I have it in reef crest mode.

isnt the new vortech pumps now all with ceramic bearings?  Yeah I saw the one for sale too late though to jump on it. Oh well keep bringing in your thoughts they will impact what I do buy. 

I have no idea. I have not researched them in a couple of years. I have been happy with what I have. 

Ok thanks for all the thoughts definitely something I need to do more research on both the pump and play with the skimmer idea. I will hold off on the skimmer since it sounds like the cheap air stone driven one I'm using works about the same as the ghost. It does pull a lot of nasty stuff so it works if I time tinker with it daily. As for the pump I will keep my eyes open for more info. and of course a sale or a used deal. As for tunze pumps I was looking at the 6040 but didn't like the open top I have very silly crabs and snails I can see where that is heading plus I noticed on a lot of videos they rocked when pulsing and I didn't like that at all. So yeah I think I will keep learning and hold my cash for a deal. Any run across anything give me a yell.

Ok thanks for all the thoughts definitely something I need to do more research on both the pump and play with the skimmer idea. I will hold off on the skimmer since it sounds like the cheap air stone driven one I'm using works about the same as the ghost. It does pull a lot of nasty stuff so it works if I time tinker with it daily. As for the pump I will keep my eyes open for more info. and of course a sale or a used deal. As for tunze pumps I was looking at the 6040 but didn't like the open top I have very silly crabs and snails I can see where that is heading plus I noticed on a lot of videos they rocked when pulsing and I didn't like that at all. So yeah I think I will keep learning and hold my cash for a deal. Any run across anything give me a yell.

i've got a 6040 on a 28g tank right now and it is great like most Tunze pumps.  i've used different size tunze pumps on tanks over the past 12 years and they have always been reliable.  i had vortechs and agree with pledosophy completely.  The vortechs needed bearings replaced within the first year and i will never use them again.  of course i was used to reliable tunze pumps so a pump needing a part replaced within the first year was disconcerting especially with what they cost.  JME  

• Like 1