Test kits

Lovesalt

It depends on what you are testing for. I think some test kits provide a level of accuracy that is needed, while others are just over the top. Either way, you'll be paying for the level of accuracy.

I use the Reef Master Test Kit by API for most of the common things tested (pH, NO3-, NO2- and NH3), but I also have a single calcium test kit by API. For more specific things like magnesium and alkalinity I use a Red Sea test kit.

I have dabbled with the API phosphate test kit, but I am color blind and can't use it effectively. Some people swear by it, others don't.

I say keep at least 2 Test kit sets around, It doesn't matter what manufacturer you have every once in awhile a test will be inaccurate and before making any rash decisions in correcting the problem you see, you have another brand to get a second result from. the Most commonly used though are API, Red Sea & Salifert.

I am partial too the red sea kits for ca alk and mag. The titration method it uses is excellent imo, minimizing user error. I don't really have much preference for the rest though. API is generally cheapest and most available.

I strongly agree with exodus though. Either have a second "fresh" kit to check readings or get someone else to confirm before making changes. Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk