New to forum, made many mistakes in the hobby.

wifesaidgetahobby

Welcome to the forum Nick! That's awesome to hear that you do this with your son. My father and I do this hobby together also! :) sorry to hear about your tank loss :( I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your tank though! I would help with the picture problem but I only know how to do it on the app and I imagine youre using the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum Nick! You are in the right place... many of us are not new to the forum or hobby, and have made many mistakes in the hobby! :D

There is also a "More Reply Options" button below the Reply box. When you open it, you will see an upload feature.

I actually found the forum by looking at tank designs. when we lost the 90 it was a chance for us to redesign the tank and make it look the way we originally had envisioned. 

In mid November we had a wind storm that damaged so many trees and power lines that at the peak of damage we had 200,000 people with out power. The storm damage took 2 to 3 weeks to clean up and we were out of power for 10 days. the temp at the time was running 12 to 15  degrees overnight and highs of 20 during the day. The company my son and I work for is a contractor for the city of Spokane Valley and were working 16 hour shifts for a couple of weeks clearing roads and removing downed trees. The battery back up lasted for two days, but with all generators sold out and rental places cleaned out we just could not find any alternative power source.

Here is a news clip of some of the damage. http://www.khq.com/story/30549224/windstorm-2015-aftermath-photos

I have had nightmares of such events, I have had a couple days without power but never more than that. Reading this makes me really want to get a generator, some of the equipment we put on our tanks is more costly than a simple generator, and there is certainly more value inside the aquarium.

Oh, and welcome aboard, this is a great place to be when you are in the reefing hobby. Lotsa generous folk and knowledgeable people here.