Randall's shallow reef

PowderBlue

Only use a little of the sand from you old tank....not all of it. Also just scrape from the top only. Once you get into it bad things can happen unless you have been stirring it and know there is nothing wrong with it.

Need to paint that overflow also you don't want to see that.....did you run an emergency drain? Looks like you are going with the Herbie style from what I see.

Also no baffles in the sump?

I mixed the heck out of it when I moved the tank, and I stir it up each water change. Might just use only some to be safe though. It's just a single drain and single return. Not my ideal setup but I'm not confident with drilling glass. I'm adding a single baffle to the sump tomorrow to keep the skimmer water level consistent. I might add a fuge I'm not sure yet on that part.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Well I am done aside from hanging my lights. No leaks so far, went with a 40 gallon breeder sump from Sons old dsa tank. I want to give a huge thanks to Upscales and all the people on the forums who helped me through this process!

I went with a new Gyre 130 for my powerhead. I'm hoping this paired along with my return pump will be enough flow. 90451cca7787b082799fe2f5a26ea9dd.jpg the boxes these bad boys come in are probably 20 bucks worth of the cost of them lol.

489f542bcbd8def6f7ab7792b3a16dc8.jpg

926142dcc386fe40fd3eef0368fb128e.jpg

I'm going to do some cable management along at some point in the near future but for now it's time to get the lights up and then relax!

Edited by PowderBlue
  • Like 3

Love the rock sticking up out of the water! Gives it a very artistic look. Good work man! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm going to try and find a bigger and taller piece for it. I've always thought it looked super cool. Not many people do it.

• Like 1

Shot of the tank with the lights on. Everything is dialed. The rock seems to have stayed cycled but I'm testing it with a zoa and a mushroom from my nuvo. If they don't melt on me. In a week I'll transfer everything over! 0cb6ca3350b353835013476eae06bb40.jpg

Edited by PowderBlue
  • Like 3

I have it at 90 percent, I've also got my return at 60 percent so I may cut one of them back. I'd say the gyre 130 is perfect for a 36 inch tank. 48 with 24 depth is pushing it's limits. But with such a strong return they pair well together!

I re did the rock work. I think I'm sticking with this. I wanted a large island and a small island. I will be removing the rocks on the left, and putting the rock from my other tank over there in a bit. I like the kind of open middle. I may even remove another piece of rock or two. 757551eadcfe50e0c608de55e5c203a3.jpg

I've got probably 30 or 40 pounds of rock in my sump now haha

• Like 5

Once I get a calcium reactor I will go to some sticks. Not a lot but I plan to keep some sps. Mostly LPS and softies. The big huge rock on the right will be a zoa island. The off branches will have some sps. The left side will be softies and LPS :)

• Like 1

I re did the rock work. I think I'm sticking with this. I wanted a large island and a small island. I will be removing the rocks on the left, and putting the rock from my other tank over there in a bit. I like the kind of open middle. I may even remove another piece of rock or two. 757551eadcfe50e0c608de55e5c203a3.jpg

I've got probably 30 or 40 pounds of rock in my sump now haha

Looking realy good man, rock work looks great.

• Like 1

I'm loving it Randall! You have lots of sand bed for LPS! zoa rocks are also awesome!

Thanks! I like it open with a lot of sand bed! I've never had one so minimal but I'm really digging it now. I took another piece of rock out this morning lol. I tweak my rock work for like a month usually, before I am happy with it.

• Like 1