Making an Alkalinity Solution

milesmiles902

Hello everyone!

I went and bought a Red Sea Alkalinity Pro Test kit and have been using the alkalinity solution inside for a little bit, but since it is about to run out I want to make my own alkalinity solution. I have some ACS grade sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) lying around that I want to use, rather than buying baking soda. I know it is dirt cheap, but I want to just use what I have.

I want to clarify my maths :P I am shooting for the same dKH as shown in the Randy Holmes Farley DIY alkalinity solution recipe #1.

The proposed dKH is 5,300 dKH (1900meq/L), which is what I am running the calculations off of, with a water volume of 1 gallon. The main reason is I am unfamiliar with meq/L...so...

meq/L × equivalent weight = mg/L

• 1900meq/L * 105.9888g/mol = 201,378.72 mg/L
  • 201,378.72 mg/L * 1g/1000mg * 3.75L/1 gallon * 1gallon = 755 grams of sodium carbonate.

To me this seems reasonable because sodium is heavy and it should be more mass than what is in the Randy Holmes Farley DIY. I guess I could test the solution that is made, but I imagine it will be higher than the test kit can handle. I would have to dilute it, then sample it.

Any ideas?

Edited by milesmiles902

:hidesbehindsofa:  :icon_bow: Ya what he said :)

http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/36436-opinions-on-dosing/

He is some things about dosing I don't know all that math stuff but I just started dosing using Baked baking soda and keeping my alk at 9.5 2 0z a day seems to be my thing for my tank and they love it.

I'm far from the dosing master I just started doing it because of things I'm going to keep in my tank now and seems to be working perfect

Edited by StayPuff

I think I might attempt baking soda for the next batch, but for now I am going to use sodium carbonate. It is very similar.

I just imagine that it would alter pH a little more than baking soda.

Ya I'm new to it I never had to worry about it ever because I didn't keep corals like I do now. So this is working perfect for me right now.

BTW if you go to jet.com they have 13lbs of baking soda for 9.99 each best price around and I just got 2 bags plus your 1st order you can get discount if you spend certain amount which I did got me few things .

Edited by StayPuff

Thanks! Yeah, I started dosing my aquarium and it seems to be maintaining alkalinity. I haven't measured to see a change in pH, but I think it is fine. Baking soda is what I will use next.

Ya I'm still doing 2oz a day one bag is going to last a year or two if I only does 2 oz a day.

But ill still check it as I add things I'm sure it will eat up more later.

BTW I had a friend use a dose system and it went haywire and dosed his tank 30 oz when it was supposed to do 1 killed it all so what i do and works perfect i have a paper cup on a zip tie over the sump and i poked 2 tiny pine holes when you dose you want it to be slow.  I timed it and it takes 3 and half hours for my cup to empy nice drips. I have 3 cups i made and timed one is at 2 hours and another 1 hour thats to fast for me though. Just a thought for you.

• Like 1

Sodium carbonate is the same as soda ash or baked baking soda.

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. The bi part means it has an additional hydrogen atom which is removed by heating. Hydrogen atoms dissolved in water increase the acidity of the water.

BRS sells 5 gallon or smaller pails of soda ash and they have instructions for mixing up the solution, including amounts needed to increase the alkalinity of your tank volume.

BRS sells 5 gallon or smaller pails of soda ash and they have instructions for mixing up the solution, including amounts needed to increase the alkalinity of your tank volume.

I didn't know that. That's a good idea, I will try to go and find the BRS instructions online.

BTW I had a friend use a dose system and it went haywire and dosed his tank 30 oz when it was supposed to do 1 killed it all so what i do and works perfect i have a paper cup on a zip tie over the sump and i poked 2 tiny pine holes when you dose you want it to be slow.  I timed it and it takes 3 and half hours for my cup to empy nice drips. I have 3 cups i made and timed one is at 2 hours and another 1 hour thats to fast for me though. Just a thought for you.

Slow dosing is probably best. I tend to just use a syringe and slowly squirt it into my sump. A drip system is something I might try to figure out how to do.