Heavy weight entering into reef tank fixture market

goldenbasketreef

As I understand it, the point of having more diodes is to improve the spread and reduce the disco ball effect. A great example is the Lani LED by Triton.

I guess that would be the case, if your trying to maximize PAR, by using narrow beam emitters. In TMC's case, they use 120 angle emitters, with only 10 HO diodes.

If there are wide enough optics to mimic the spread of a 15" or 20" mh reflector or a t5 parabolic then by all means let me know. The one thing leds really bring to the table right now over other light sources is efficiency and controllability. last time I checked the datasheets for every popular 3w led used in current fixtures they all hit their peak efficiency when driven at around 1w or 350ma. So to maintain that efficiency it is optimal to run a higher diode density at less current which also has the benefit of increased spread and light saturation. The one downside is the increased up front cost because of the increased diode count. I am not sure what circuitry issues a higher diode count would entail as long as proper drivers and power sources are used and as for moisture issues I know a t least one fixture on the market that is waterproof so with the proper design it shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

The fixtures I'm thinking are TMC, which have 10 emitters 30 watts, all driven at 700mA. I'm not sure what effciency of each emitter is, but when I check on a couple of thm, they were designed to be driven at high mA and still maintain their lifespan.

One problem with many of the fixtures with many more emitters, they don't have the proper circuity, especially when it comes to dimming and using multiple types of emitters. Many are just "daisy chained" like Christmas lights. With more and more diodes in these set-up, there is an increasingly chance of issues. Then add moisture that will get into that circuity over time... so while the quality of light is decent, there's construction issues I see to have a quality light set up long term.

There are many different set-up/requirements. That I agree 100%. As far as a sole aquarium reef LED or diode... that has been out for some time.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the sharing Goldenbasketreef.  I love new hi-tech stuff and might get that Philip at some point end of the year to try out.  Good thread.

I think I can make my corals work extra hard under LEDs :-)

mag_zpso1ehgary.jpeg

What is that one, Tom? Nice!