Bowen's IM Fusion 10

bowen1022

So today I went to Ocean in a Box to pick up my thicker sand that I ordered. I came back and was watching my fish then looked away and back again and he was dead:( I think it was a result of a not fully cycled tank as my nitrites were a little high this past week. I thought it was cycled when I tested and got back all zeros but I guess not. I added a small piece of live rock and my coarser live sand hopefully that will help speed up through the cycle process. Im pretty bummed because I really liked that little guy but I guess thats why you take things slow. I hope that nothing too bad happens to the corals and Im looking forward to getting back on track. Overall a pretty depressing day, but I guess there are worse things that could happen. Any tips and criticism would be appreciated to help make me a better reefer. Thanks all!

Sorry about the fish. It has happened to many people when they add fish too early. I use the Dr. Tims bacteria when I start a cycle as it speeds up the process. I also usually start curing live rock for months while I am thinking about upgrading. I hate the cycle process personaliy so anything I can do to speed it up I do. Did you remove the old sand and then add the new sand? Stirring up a sand bed in a small tank can cause a major spike in nitrites. I lost a fish that way once because I was trying to get a wrasse out of a biocube.

I didn't remove the sand or stir it up at all for that matter. I just put a thin layer on top which should settle and 'blend' with time. It is mostly to keep that fine oolite from blowing around. Im not as bummed anymore because I've learned a lesson. But it still kinda sucks. Thank you for the reply!

• Like 1

Well I did about a 50% water change today, it was WC day anyway so I decided I should try and get my water parameters back to normal. I cleaned the back chambers of debris and re organized everything while I was at it. I got a new cube stand which has made everything much more clean looking. Here are some random photos. 

I think I know someone that has this same stand  :happy:

IMG_1288_zpsgnie6oj0.jpg

IMG_1287_zpseh95wujl.jpg

IMG_1286_zpsbyqmpgso.jpg

IMG_1285_zpsqb1zflfi.jpg

• Like 1

That stand is so easy to organize and it looks neat! I just hope it doesn't fall apart (my luck would have it) but emerald you have a 20 on it so I'm a little more relieved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that was my fear too but it's sturdier than it looks so your 10 will be no problem and I like all the cubbies and being able to hide everything.

• Like 1

So my Zoas have been closed up since yesterday. I'm not sure why. One of my hermits is bothering them a little but I've read they normally open back up after 15 min or so. I wonder what's up, too high lighting or? Here is a pic of the poor guys

db68af36624ff51d0b2889f577d704f2.jpg

Contrary to what people say zoas are not always easy even for some of the masters. Some are hardier than others but having done growouts with many a pro some of the more expensive ones will look great , close up on you and then melt. 

Ask Reefnjunkies about a soprano growout he did... :)

Zoas are prone to infections. I used to dip them in coral rx, or sometimes fish flex but now I just leave them alone because sometimes you end up with more problems if you start treating the tank. 

My magicians are closed up right now. I suspect it is because the torch is irritating them. Many times if I just leave them alone they will fight off whatever is ailing them and open up again.

Thanks for the info emerald! It's really appreciated. I did dip in revive when I got them. More are opening now which is nice. I'm surprised because I normally don't like Zoas but I love these ones and were upset when they weren't opening

Thanks for the info emerald! It's really appreciated. I did dip in revive when I got them. More are opening now which is nice. I'm surprised because I normally don't like Zoas but I love these ones and were upset when they weren't opening

There are lots of different dips that you can use, Actually I mistyped and use coral revive too before putting them in the tank.  I have also used furadantin and fishflex which are both antibiotics. 

• Like 1

So I just got back from a 3 day trip away from school. I tested my basic param's and got

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: ~0

pH: 8.2

All of my Zoa polyps are out now and three out of the four SPS I have are showing good extension. The sarmentosa doesn't have great extension and I'm thinking maybe due to flow.

Unknown SPS is still brown and hopefully it'll start coloring back up now that my parameters are normal.

• Like 1