Dark tank

fishmanmike01

Woke up this morning to a dark tank. Appears as though I lost power at some point and the apex never restarted. The display was lit up but nothing was working except the drive pump and vortecs. Imagine my panic when I unplug it to reset it again, and when powers on it says a temp of 61.2. Fish all look lathargic at the moment , I'm freaking out.

Has anyone had their tank get this cold and and have anything survive?

Also I'm sure the heaters will have it up to temp within several hours. Is this too fast? Should I kill one or two to slow this process? I hate to leave it in this state.

Edited by fishmanmike01

Yes, get them to temp asap. I recently had a tank drop to mid 60s when I left a window wide open. There were no casualties at the moment, but I ended up losing my clam a week or so later. Although that's kind of a long story and it could have been a multitude of things. From my reading, coral dropping to 60s is fairly common when shipping. It's definitely not ideal, but it happens.

Fish should be fine, while not an ideal temp I'm sure in nature they are every so often subjected to it. As for corals all Softies and LPS should be fine, SPS would be the only temperamental ones I can be concerned with. I would also be investigating as to why the Apex didn't turn back on, that would worry me the most.