Fuge or equipment?

I've got a space that's about 20x20in space in my sump that I'm sorting a plan for. I originally was going to put a bunch of chaeto in there and fuge it out. Problem is I don't have much room left under the stand or in the sump so I won't be able to add much more equipment wise. So my other option is to leave that space open for a calcium reactor etc.

What are some opinions on those two options? Thanks.

Well I am kind of in the same boat.....Calcium can be run out of the tank but what if it leaks.......so that leaves it in the sump.....

What benefits does a fuge do? You need a light if running algae in there. I have thought what about rock rubble so pods have a place to live and leave it at that.

I would like to do a fuge but not sure I want to deal with it......

What eqipment are you running now?

I have done all refugium filtration, mixed, and all equipment. All have their perks and drawbacks. Right now I ended up with mostly just equipment, although I do have a small refugium.

A small refugium will help things like your protein skimmer work better, and it will provide somewhat of a food source for the display, BUT if it is between that and a protein skimmer for example, IME I preferto have the protein skimmer.

It also depends a bit on what you are looking to gain with the refugium, and if there is an easier way to do it IME.

HTH

Why are you wanting the CaRx in the sump? I'd say 90%+ that I've seen are external, including my own. Never had an issue with it.

I would try your best to get the skimmer in there and maybe have less chaeto, just trim it more, maybe keep it separated with egg crate or something. It's doable, I've somehow got my huge skimmer, fuge/LR and 2x 7" socks in a 40b :D

Thanks all - I realize I left out key information, making this hard to give opinions on.

The tank is a 200g with a 48x20x20 sump. I have a skimmer in the first chamber. It's a beast - Reef Oct. 5000. To be honest I think it's too big, but it's in there now . I might downsize soon.  So the first chamber of the sump is full.

The second chamber is just wide open space, then the return. 

My main desire with that space is nitrate and algae control....hence the idea of getting a ton of chaeto and throwing it in there. But I would then be pretty limited in what else I can add to the equipment. I probably have 8in of open space in the stand before the media cabinets. SO putting in external reactors and stuff like that will be a big challenge.