ZwickM's 120 Gallon Build Thread!

Zwickm

Where did you get the green PVC from.....I might have to do that to match my Emerald.....

BRS sells colored plumbing :) and they are having their live sale this weekend! 10% reward point back on everything, may just work out perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yep, bulk reef supply! They have a variety of colors. Solid stuff too!

How'd you hear about the sale this weekend?! That's great!

brs posted on here and sent me an email saying this weekend is their group buy thing. $29 and over is free shipping and 10x the reward points!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, it's a 150 gallon build now.... Couldn't resist the taller tank with the same footprint for about the same price new :-D

Would anyone see a concern with Hydra 26 and 48" T5 lighting being sufficient to reach the bottom of a 31" deep tank?

Edited by Zwickm

Hope you have long arms LOL

What's the foot print and layout of the fixtures and is the T5 an 8 bulb or ???- lighting should be fine regardless, I was just curious.

par would be helpful to determine what if anything couldn't be kept in certain spots, ie sand (Maxina clams)

I've been toying with ten idea of switching all my LEDs over my display, Ecotech and Hydra are 2 in looking at, I like the LED configure in the Hydra line-nice choice you made IMO

• Like 1

I'm definitely going to need a step stool now lol!

It's 48"L x 24" D x 31" T. I'll post a layout of the lighting when I'm. But it'll be 2 x Hydra 26 in the back, 3 x 48" T5 in the middle and another 2 x Hydra 26 in the front. All LEDs will be centered to each 24" half of the tank.

Is the club par meter still floating around somewhere? I've never measured that and probably should!

I absolutely love the Hydra 26's!! Half the price of Radions and just as good, imo

• 1 month later...

So the tank went to Coast Mirror in Milwaukee today to be drilled. I wouldn't dare do it myself. I had another tank drilled by them and it turned out great. It's hard to find a place the even does it.

There will be 4 wholes drilled, two 2.5" for the Synergy Reef overflow box and two 1.5" returns on both sides.

Fingers crossed that is goes smoothly!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm waiting for some additional plumbing pieces to arrive from BRS, I built the cabinet unit that will hold all the electronic components such as an Apex, drivers, controllers, etc.

It'll be placed next to the tank and will be ventilated. Wanted to keep all electrical items away from the stand.

9f45138c8e23693141ddbfc270d6d63a.jpg

d62b87db1c2e57753c702c464fc872b5.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the plumping so far! Nothing is glued yet, just testing everything out. Still need to add the 5 Cepex ball valves on the return manifold where the T-fittings are. Let me know what you think and if you see any potential room for improvement.

8a9dd836ef4acd2db0b75ba10f16c3fb.jpg

8eb9e071996eab8e4f4b6fd6830a6ea8.jpg

• Like 1

Is there any plans for pipe hangers or any support for the longer lengths of pipe? As the system is purging the air from the full sipon the pipes can shake a bit, this also goes for any lines that have any air/turbulence in them, the open channel for example.

Looks great so far, your level of patience is amazing!

• Like 1

Chris - Yes, i will be mounting all the pipes using plastic pipe clamps. Even placing a thin piece of rubber between the wood and clamp to help dampen vibration noise.  Good to know about the initial shaking though.

It may seem I like had patience but if you were to ask my girlfriend, she'll tell you the opposite :) It took forever to get the tank and stand!

• Like 2