Corals are melting!!

Flashy Fins

Unfortunately, most corals look just as bad or worse than they did yesterday, although the rate at which they are declining seems to have slowed. The tank has been cloudy all day, presumably from the sand stirred during the water change. My focus now is getting the new tank to the same salinity and temp, so I can move everything over, add new sand, and hopefully get all corals away from any toxins or gases that caused this problem in the old tank. I'm a little worried about the harshness of all new water, but I'm scared to use any from the old tank. Heating the new tank water is taking ages, so the transfer of everything will likely be tomorrow. Hopefully, it goes well.

Just keep your head up and everything will work out. If you are afraid about the harshness of the new water, maybe ask a friend or local fish store for some cycled water. I bet you'll find someone who is willing to help out. It's the holidays. :)

I can always bring 15 gallons up north if you need it. I only have three buckets, or it would be more. :P

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll be all right with just the live rock for cycle purposes, and I have some bacteria in a bottle I can add for extra assurance. The corals will probably be far less bothered by new water than all they've been through in the last week. I'm likely just overthinking it.

That was some great advice Rudy. Thanks for sharing Cherany. Sorry you are having to go through this but at least you and other can learn from this. I didn't even think about the nuclear greens and purple deaths as the likely cause as I'm so used to having a large tank. 

Purple death's definitely live up to their name. There have been a few reefers on here who have gotten some serious infections from fragging those.

I'm probably not going to keep those particular corals in the new tank. The purple deaths never liked my tank, anyway; they were only beautiful the first month and then turned a raisin color with no return. Nuclear greens are cool to look at, but the strange color clashed with other shades of green in the tank. If they did cause this, they were not worth having.

Seeing some losses today and expect more from the looks of things. Not at all how I pictured this upgrade going. My tank was looking great prior to all this, and I fully expected to have the new tank looking fabulous from Day 1. Instead, I'll be starting this tank with a lot of near-dead chunks of gray and brown coral. Very disheartening.

In the process of moving the reef to its new tank now. I appreciate everyone who has offered to help, but honestly, I'm too sick to be in close proximity to other people right now. I'm grouchy from sinus pain and likely contagious from cold/fever. I'm just hoping the nightmare is over with stabilized by Christmas.

I'm probably not going to keep those particular corals in the new tank. The purple deaths never liked my tank, anyway; they were only beautiful the first month and then turned a raisin color with no return. Nuclear greens are cool to look at, but the strange color clashed with other shades of green in the tank. If they did cause this, they were not worth having.

Seeing some losses today and expect more from the looks of things. Not at all how I pictured this upgrade going. My tank was looking great prior to all this, and I fully expected to have the new tank looking fabulous from Day 1. Instead, I'll be starting this tank with a lot of near-dead chunks of gray and brown coral. Very disheartening.

In the process of moving the reef to its new tank now. I appreciate everyone who has offered to help, but honestly, I'm too sick to be in close proximity to other people right now. I'm grouchy from sinus pain and likely contagious from cold/fever. I'm just hoping the nightmare is over with stabilized by Christmas.

Don't lose hope. There have been a couple of reefers who wiped out their entire sps collection but were able to come back even stronger. MattV was one of them and his tank looks amazing. I know it feels like a stab in your heart whenever you see another precious coral die but if you are in the hobby long enough you're going to lose corals or fish and it can happen fast. 

As they say, Reefing is the hobby where nothing good happens fast.

Let things get settled and stable and take people up on their offers. I may be able to find a frag or 2 for you too... 

• Like 1