IKEA

modularduck

Is Ikea open yet?

I used to shop there with my parents when still living in Germany. Usually spend several hours there, trying out all the furniture and eating in their cafeteria.

And things were affordable and reasonably sturdy and modern... :D

Its grand opening was this morning it was all over the news and our cops are getting OT to divert traffic , (nutty) ... I think it is a great store for students and apartments, but it is for sure "you get what you pay" scenario, yes furniture is expensive and some unreasonably high (just like anything, like gucci, juicy, dooney and burke, etc.) but I like to spend more money on a piece of furniture that I will get many years out of...unlike most stuff that comes from IKEA, with that said I am glad it is here...

I however do not understand, people waiting hours and hours in line to get in and deal with all those people... I mean it is not going anywhere, I get if it was here for a week and they were not restocking anything, then you might be able to justify getting there hours before it opens, but that is probably just me...

yeah i don't doubt it....lets see 1/2" particle board with vaneer' date=' 600lbs of tank? perhaps not..i must admit i do like some of their stuff.but really only cause i long to be cool like the other kids...lol[/quote']

LOL...some of the stuff is cool and looks great in a their mag...but I do like some of their accent pieces to put around the house...

• 4 weeks later...

they have some nice stuff for those younger people like me who don't have a lot of money(it all goes to the tanks!) but i like having things that will last a long time, plus i like building my own stuff, sure if i build it, it looks like crap but i least i tried, right?:D

as far as those who wait in line for it... I'm lost for words, its not like you cant look at there stuff online...

We went at the end of their first week, and we had to part in the grassy field a mile away and make the trek dragging both the kids. It was like "Field of Dreams"--If you build it, they will come--with hundreds of zombie-like people (us included) marching en masse towards a central beacon of light. Weird.

I'd never been, but my husband had told me it was all cheaply made, that I'd be disappointed. We had to wait more than half an hour to get the kids in the play center, and then we were lead through a very exact pathway (they direct you to follow the floor arrows) with people elbowing and pushing like bovines at market, diving in front of you to grab a pillow or open a cabinet. What's all the fuss?(nutty)

IMO it's cutesy affordable stuff for kids up to 20, but everything we examined close up was built like crap. Nothing was sturdy or solid. It's all facades and colors. And they're doing this marketing thing where they take regular brand appliances and put their special placard on it, like "Amana by IKEA" or "Whirlpool by IKEA" on ranges and frigs ..Who falls for that? Why not just buy the same appliance from Sears and not pay the mark-up to have "IKEA" put on it?

Soooo my first experience didn't do much for me, obviously. It's OK stuff to buy for a kid going off the college, but it's not real furniture IMO. (Oh- but the meatballs were good!(drooler))