Party bus gems! New additions to the Fusion 20!

Emerald525

I'm a little late in posting my Party Bus swag! I have to be a little more selective since I have a Fusion 20 and no longer have 200+ gallons! :)

First here is a full tank shot:

DSC04294.ARW_zpsninarqx3.jpg

My tailspot blenny went MIA (I assume he was a jumper and ended up being a treat for the dog :doh:  as there was no evidence of him being gone. Or he was abducted by aliens)

I got this purple firefish from Cuttlefish. I call her Julianna. This was the first day I got her. She was already out and about and eating the first day! Jeff always has great livestock and great guarantees too:

DSC04291.ARW_zpsr0bemet5.jpg

Badxgillen gave these to me. It is nice to have an account with the Corvallis Reefing King. I traded him some equipment a while back. I can tell Badxgillen's corals have been in his tank for a while and are not wild colonies. The zoas always open right away and just thrive. I say this because it has been my experience that corals that have been in a reefer's tank for a while as a rule tend to be more acclimated to the parameter swings and different conditions than wild corals.  You should always do trades with him! He is super generous! THe blue hornets in the front are from the summer raffle again donated by Bert and are thriving.

DSC04285.ARW_zps741tvjlf.jpg

DSC04268.ARW_zps0skmzdgr.jpg

Mushrooms seem to be hot right now. I got these at Goldenbasket for 8 dollars a shroom much better than the high end prices some of these mushrooms command now! I am so glad chalices are not in right now. I don't know why but it works for me. I got the chalice from Cuttlefishandcorals. It is identical to the Tyree Goldeneye Watermelon chalice I used to have and the cost for the whole colony was less than what they went for one eye a few years ago. Keep hating chalices eveyrone!  :cool: 

DSC04282.ARW_zpsktwmcmw8.jpg

DSC04280.ARW_zpsqokv4acu.jpg

DSC04271.ARW_zpskx1xjm70.jpg

DSC04259.ARW_zpsy8xb0v8h.jpg

I also got this nice chili pepper monti from Goldenbasket. Acropora are not doing well in my tank but montis are holding their own.

DSC04275.ARW_zpspsmvwlmi.jpg

This was the acro that I won for being the first one to find it in the tank. Sadly it did not make it. I knew I should have traded it! :angry:  I think the issue was it did not like the salinity swing. The water level was low and I just dumped about 21/2 gallons into the tank. It doesn't sound like much but in a 20 gallon that's a pretty big change. I suspect that's the reason because the next day several of my acros were not happy.

DSC04260.ARW_zpswzo5oujs.jpg

DSC04257.ARW_zpsjl8et29o.jpg

This was the little gem I found at OIAB. This was in the 25 dollar rack. I love finding nice corals on the cheap rack! :tongue:  Again everyone please keep hating chalices. :tongue: 

DSC04274.ARW_zps8e340zrh.jpg

I got a new fire shrimp from Upscales. His name is Carlos II. He is awesome. He is pretty big and was fearless from day one.  Thanks Travis!You can also see Rex my golden dwarf eel making a cameo.

DSC04258.ARW_zpset6um04p.jpg

• Like 1

I also love the cheap frags at OIAB!  It seems whenever I spend big bucks on frags, success rate is only 50%, but when I get the cheap stuff, it's more like a 90% success, and most turn out to be pretty nice after some conditioning.  I've only kept a couple of chalices, one of which I really loved and would like to replace (bright pink/red with very yellow eyes and trim - lost it in a salinity swing) and one which fell into a scoly and died (Hollywood Stunner - probably for the best). Chalices were all the rage when I got into the hobby, but they do seem to have fallen out of favor lately, although I'm not sure why. 

Edited by Flashy Fins

I also love the cheap frags at OIAB!  It seems whenever I spend big bucks on frags, success rate is only 50%, but when I get the cheap stuff, it's more like a 90% success, and most turn out to be pretty nice after some conditioning.  I've only kept a couple of chalices, one of which I really loved and would like to replace (bright pink/red with very yellow eyes and trim - lost it in a salinity swing) and one which fell into a scoly and died (Hollywood Stunner - probably for the best). Chalices were all the rage when I got into the hobby, but they do seem to have fallen out of favor lately, although I'm not sure why. 

I think part of the reason some frags are cheaper is because they are hardier and fast growers.  I'm surprised your scoly was able to take out your Hollywood Stunner as that's one aggressive chalice. 

I have found that things rise and fall in popularity. I think chalices will come back at some point. Some people may not like them because they tend to grow slow but the colors are amazing.  They also do not do well in high light but they are great in my tank because I have lots of shady spots. 

I think part of the reason some frags are cheaper is because they are hardier and fast growers.  I'm surprised your scoly was able to take out your Hollywood Stunner as that's one aggressive chalice. 

Yeah, I'm starting to realize that with pricing. I've also learned if it's a 1-polyp frag with a price tag higher than $5, I should stay far away. Never had a 1-polyp frag do well!

My scoly has quite the attitude, always trying to swallow anything that lands on it, despite being well fed. It once tried to consume my urchin, who was rescued after this photo and is still alive and well 2 years later. When the Stunner fell in, all the feeder tentacles on the scoly were out (don't think that's what they're called, but should be explanatory); I pulled the chalice away to discover large white patches where it was stung, and it only lived a few days after that.

DSC_9097.jpg

Yeah, I'm starting to realize that with pricing. I've also learned if it's a 1-polyp frag with a price tag higher than $5, I should stay far away. Never had a 1-polyp frag do well!

My scoly has quite the attitude, always trying to swallow anything that lands on it, despite being well fed. It once tried to consume my urchin, who was rescued after this photo and is still alive and well 2 years later. When the Stunner fell in, all the feeder tentacles on the scoly were out (don't think that's what they're called, but should be explanatory); I pulled the chalice away to discover large white patches where it was stung, and it only lived a few days after that.

DSC_9097.jpg

That's one aggressive scoly! great picture! Poor urchin! That's crazy! I have learned. I try to stay away from 1 polyp frags. Too much risk.

Oh man, so much goodness in one day it was hard to contain myself, I think everybody scored on that run, there were deals everywhere. I didn't grab any fish but I grabbed my fare share of the corals. I had my eye on that chalice too and I bet it will change a little in your tank.

And you are very welcome on the zoa frags, I will get you a couple more and something else to go with it for our next encounter, maybe a chalice frag?

All in all your tank is looking great, I have a little nano envy right now.

Oh man, so much goodness in one day it was hard to contain myself, I think everybody scored on that run, there were deals everywhere. I didn't grab any fish but I grabbed my fare share of the corals. I had my eye on that chalice too and I bet it will change a little in your tank.

And you are very welcome on the zoa frags, I will get you a couple more and something else to go with it for our next encounter, maybe a chalice frag?

All in all your tank is looking great, I have a little nano envy right now.

Thanks Bert. I do think that chalice will change color.  I really don't have much room for zoas where I can place them so looking more for lps such as acans, chalices, favias. That favia I got from you is also doing well! :)