Need some input

WingRider62

So, we are moving in 2 weeks. This morning I discovered a leak in the acrylic sump at one of the seams. I shut down the return pump and drained the sump. Because of the center support in the stand, I cant easily remove the sump to repair or replace it. Ive moved the heater and temp probe to the display tank for now, but have no way to run the skimmer. My question is, would you run it this way for the next 2 weeks and replace the sump during the move? Or....use a temporary center brace on the stand, remove the original brace and deal the with sump now? Thanks in advance.

In my opinion, I think you would be ok to wait until you move. I've run my system for a week with no skimmer and didn't notice any ill effects other than some algae popped up. Plenty of people run successful reef tanks without skimmers. For a short period of time, I assume you would be ok. Otherwise what about placing the skimmer in the tank? Like build a little shelf for it out of egg crate or rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paratore

Having moved 17 times, I think you should repair it now.  You will have all sorts of issues to take care of in your new place, not counting the packing and prep.  Do yourself a favor and do it now.

The problem is, I cant get the sump out with the center brace in the way. Also, we may be upgrading to larger tank while moving, so then I could just fix it without stressing about it.

The problem is, I cant get the sump out with the center brace in the way. Also, we may be upgrading to larger tank while moving, so then I could just fix it without stressing about it.

My tank is similar. I can't pull my sump out of the stand without emptying the main display. I don't think it would be a bad idea to replace it during the move. Just fill your new tank, make sure it doesn't leak and go for it.

If it doesn't work out, you always have the rubbermaid.

Fix it when you move...no sense in trying to brace the tank...

My nano tank has never had a skimmer...

IMO the only thing to think about would be oxygen...if your tank is covered, uncover it until you get the skimmer hooked back up. Oh, and just feed a little on the light side...I feed once a day.