Official Cuttlefish and Corals Grow Out Competition 2015 Entry Thread

I am a heating contractor so I have been super busy and well I dipped mine last week and fell asleep with it in there and let's just say it wasn't very happy the next day not so much from the dip but it got really cold the tip has polyp extention but that's about it rookie lol.

lol well that didn't take long. That's too bad because you would have had a good shot at winning. I'm just looking to keep mine alive.????

Here's my Pacific Rim Tenius at 1/2";

WP_20151211_020_zpskpwfqiqp.jpg

TANK SPECS

A 60 GALLON MIXED REEF STACK.

3 WATT FULL SPECTRUM LED'S ON MY DISPLAY AND SUMP.T5's on my secondary tank.

A MAXI JET FOR FLOW AND A LARGE GENERIC RETURN PUMP.

FOR FILTRATION I USE CARBON,PURIGEN,MACRO AND A ODESSEA SKIMMER.

I USE BRS 3PART DOSING AND FUEL.I ALSO DOSE TWO DROPS OF VODKA PER DAY.

FEEDING CONSIST OF PELLETED FOODS AND VAROIUS FROZEN FOODS,THREE TIMES A MONTH.

I TRY TO MAINTAIN ONCE A MONTH WATER CHANGES ON THIS SYSTEM.

PLACEMENT WILL BE ONE FOOT FROM THE LIGHTS,ON MY "temporary" FRAG RACK TO THE RIGHT.AS SHOWN BELOW;

WP_20151211_023_zpseqrcgiua.jpg

Whoa, that tank is seriously packed to the gills. Is that the tank the tricolor you gave me came from? I really love that coral! :D

• Like 2

Here's my Pacific Rim Tenius at 1/2";

WP_20151211_020_zpskpwfqiqp.jpg

TANK SPECS

A 60 GALLON MIXED REEF STACK.

3 WATT FULL SPECTRUM LED'S ON MY DISPLAY AND SUMP.T5's on my secondary tank.

A MAXI JET FOR FLOW AND A LARGE GENERIC RETURN PUMP.

FOR FILTRATION I USE CARBON,PURIGEN,MACRO AND A ODESSEA SKIMMER.

I USE BRS 3PART DOSING AND FUEL.I ALSO DOSE TWO DROPS OF VODKA PER DAY.

FEEDING CONSIST OF PELLETED FOODS AND VAROIUS FROZEN FOODS,THREE TIMES A MONTH.

I TRY TO MAINTAIN ONCE A MONTH WATER CHANGES ON THIS SYSTEM.

PLACEMENT WILL BE ONE FOOT FROM THE LIGHTS,ON MY "temporary" FRAG RACK TO THE RIGHT.AS SHOWN BELOW;

WP_20151211_023_zpseqrcgiua.jpg

Holy Crap Batman! I thought my tank was full :laugh:

• Like 1

fea4ce3999c1f01d4ffa73b4fdaaf9eb.jpg0c40e4df49be766028000ca4c2c80432.jpg

Here is my frag :) it's right at 5/8ths

It's in my 75 frag tank

I dose BRS two part via apex and add fuel every now and again

I do water changes every now and again.

For flow I run a wp-10 and rw-8.

Skimmer: SCW 160 come skimmer. Way over rated for the system.

I only measure a few things

Nitrates-0

Phosphate-0

Calcium-400 (need to go up to 450)

Alk-11 (going down to 8)

Lights: two OR T247s at 50% blues 30%whites.

Frag is placed on the uppermost frag rack which is about 2 inches from the water line.

I feed the tank every day with flakes.

I think that is all the stuff we need to list...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paratore

I dose BRS two part via apex and add fuel every now and again

I do water changes every now and again.

For flow I run a wp-10 and rw-8.

Skimmer: SCW 160 come skimmer. Way over rated for the system.

I only measure a few things

Nitrates-0

Phosphate-0

Calcium-400 (need to go up to 450)

Alk-11 (going down to 8)

Lights: two OR T247s at 50% blues 30%whites.

Frag is placed on the uppermost frag rack which is about 2 inches from the water line.

I feed the tank every day with flakes.

I think that is all the stuff we need to list...

Doesn't your return pump seize up with your Alk at 11, while using 2-part Cody? That's what happened to me when I got over 9 when using the BRS two-part. I had to stay at 8 in order to keep things running longer than a few weeks.

Jeramy Blair ' s official entry into the Fray!

Tank: 20 long set up as all in one

Stand: Tank is set up Peninsula style

Lightning: Reefstar Alpha series Nano

Light Duration: roughly 60% for 12hrs

Light height: 20 inches off the surface

Filtration: Chemipur Elite and Purigen.

Skimmer: first Gen IM Nuvo Skimmer

Flow: Jeabo RW4 slow pulse max flow

Return: generic 106gph pump

Water changes: 5 gal. Every week

No Dosing at this time.

Running roughly 20 pound of live rock and 20 pounds of live sand

2 fish 1 starry blenny and 1 clown both are roughly 2 inches in length.

Various clean up crew snail and hermits 1 peper mint shrimp.

Corals are mostly soft with a few LPS and one other sps besides the grow out frag.

I feed daily with rods food and supplement green seaweed for the blenny once a week

Changes in the near future:

1 may add some mechanical filtration.

2 dosing for cal alk mag

3 might start adding vitamin C again

4 might start adding oyster feast again

5 amino dosing

I also might not do any of these things as I have been enjoying the real simple nature of my current system

Right side with ruler.

a2749499dafdd83e671251d4bc189100.jpg

Left Side

6751d425960da27b25773b8f9c18e1b8.jpg

Top Down

83830033f481ee4ef349041382714d88.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Doesn't your return pump seize up with your Alk at 11, while using 2-part Cody? That's what happened to me when I got over 9 when using the BRS two-part. I had to stay at 8 in order to keep things running longer than a few weeks.

nope, I've never had anything seize up on me. And my alk got to 13 at one point when I was trying to dial in dosing. [emoji16] I wonder why yours did that, I've never noticed any ill effects, other than stressed out SPS. My alks been this high for a couple months but recently I've been trying to get it down to help with coral colors. :)

• Like 1

Whoa, that tank is seriously packed to the gills. Is that the tank the tricolor you gave me came from? I really love that coral! :D

I know.Yes.I do too,it never gives up!*

A picture is worth a thousand words Robin.

Yeah, her display tank looks like my frag tank. Sometimes it looks like all hell will break loose but the peace seems to be kept...For now.

Controlled chaos at it's finest.

Thanks to all those entered so far!

First off- As you can see there is a degree of leniency,with this first deadline coming at an odd date, but after this it will be cut and dry

Second-there are some great write ups of the systems being run, this will allow for backtracking of success with this particular coral.

Third and lastly- I love the nature of the competitions contestants. This is not only a method of data collection but a means to have fun, or at the very least be entertaining. So far the posts\retorts have been just that, very entertaining! So I thank you all, and in response to this...

Hang in there Kim, its only four months, your a seasoned veteran. Spectra, yours seems to almost have greenish blue color, mine has since gone a light pastel blue. Danlu it will be interesting to see the possible transition under your DIY LEDs. Gill&Fin your pretty confident there aren't you, and that sounds like quite a nice frag tank you got setup there. Lexinverts your frag system is looking good if I do say so myself, and yeah this acro has some seriously hungry looking polyps. Thank you Clark for sharing the extra info, I hope to see a trend in what makes this coral happy and grow.

Rbeyer's got the Kessil which I personally like the look of but we will see what the acro has to say in the end. Cerk gots the stacked feeding regiment, man the tanks gotta love that. Wow Kireek, it looks like you have played the Coral Tetris game some too, I have the high score though. LCScott your frag tank has also been looking pretty crisp lately, that little frag should grow just fine in there. Paratore that is some wicked photography there, and how did you get it to stand up so straight for you?

Jeremy enters the fray, I love it, and it looks like you have my "Lumps" brother Loaf. The photo bomb is really cool too, the little guy like his aquariums as well right? KKnight be careful, your little guy might get stage fright sitting next to that other acro, or he might just strut his stuff even more and show em all whats up.

So I have updated the beginning post of the thread with the measurments people have been submitting. This will have the current whos who among the contestants with the eliminated players being deleted as the game continues.

Looks like we still need some posts from,

Reefnjunky, SalwaterNewbie, Earthbound, fishboys, Frank, Bret, and Dmork.

So far my little Guy seems to be liking my system, he's got great polyp extension and hasn't died yet haha :) his top polyps seem to almost be an orange color, has anyone else noticed this?

Edited by Paratore
  • Like 1

Thank you all who have entered so far. Although this is obviously past 7 days after the 7th I am taking entrees today & tomorrow and then it is back to the rules listed in the first post. 7th is posting day and 14th is deadline.

I felt that with the sudden start of the comp and the holidays people may have been thrown a little off.

After almost 2 weeks, I starting to see a very slight green fluorescent color at night with just the royal blues. PE are much more visible as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I noticed this evening that mine is starting to color up too. It has a light blue edge to new growth at the base. I'm also starting to see a little bit of green on the branches.

• Like 2

I noticed this evening that mine is starting to color up too. It has a light blue edge to new growth at the base. I'm also starting to see a little bit of green on the branches.

Nice colors, good PE, seems hardy.  We have a winning acro here!  Good stuff.

Mine is green with blue tips too.  Good looking piece.