Official Cuttlefish and Corals Grow Out Competition 2015 Entry Thread

That's a bummer, Kelli. Did anything else in the tank RTN? Or just the Tenuis?

I've seen the tissue receding from the bases of my Acros.I have ongoing problems with tank fluctuations-mainly calcium,phosphate and nitrate.In addition the temperature(82°) is much higher than I would like it to be.

Edit-

*I did lose all my Purple Rimmed Green Cap about a month ago.All the color faded out and never came back.

Edited by kireek

Sorry to hear about ur sps... But temp of 82 should be OK. During the summer my tank temp goes from 79 up to 83 almost daily.

Wish there is an easier way to tell why sps rtn/stn. I had a major melt down after 7 months in my initial setup. At the time, water parameters tested fine just like now when everything is thriving. Since then, I added algae scrubber, reduced light intensity, and increased fish feeding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Funny story, though. I have this frag in an area of my tank with several other ones. When I went to find it, I saw this one first and thought it was the competition frag. I was snapping photos left and right, and writing in my head an entire article about how I'm the acro whisperer. Imagine my disappointment when I saw the correct frag right next to it. [emoji30]

ee3dd3e5451588c57c6b7c5aafdd98ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Here's my submission. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic. Still can't get my dsl to link up:

Not much branching but did get some vertical growth. Color looks like crap but that's probably because I just do water changes and don't dose or test so who knows what the alk swings are. Most importantly I kept it alive!

EEB1BFD0-FA97-44B4-8202-0DC357599C1F_zps

• Like 3

Funny story, though. I have this frag in an area of my tank with several other ones. When I went to find it, I saw this one first and thought it was the competition frag. I was snapping photos left and right, and writing in my head an entire article about how I'm the acro whisperer. Imagine my disappointment when I saw the correct frag right next to it. [emoji30]

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Here's mine, Holly. Do I win? :D

explosive_growth_zpsmcf8wwao.png

• Like 4

I might have hyped up the ending here a little too much and too soon as the actual final post is April 7th.

My Bad!

But now that you mention it there is a frag pack of some fine coral specimens for the winner to be. 

I bet you all want pictures too?...Now that I think about it I need to get the photo on photobucket and not be disqualified.

Man I really need to get with the program.

• Like 1

Ha ha! I cut it closer than you.

Mine is still rockin' It has totally encrusted the frag plug, and is working it's way down the sides as well as starting to grow up.

IMG_2311_zps4cott6j1.jpg

IMG_2303_zpsjsqhxxda.jpg

IMG_2317_zpsm3lpxz8q.jpg

Winner winner chicken dinner :laugh:  that thing looks great!

• Like 1

That IS nice!  I just went back to your first post and you can really see the growth and color changes.  Great job!  By the way...while I was at that first post, I was reminded of your promise.  And I quote:  "I promise I'll name it 'Holly's Bad Boy,' even if I win."

Go Andy!  :cheer:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am pretty sure I am not going to win this one, and that is fine, mine made it through the competition and thats good enough. Last I heard Lex was going for the gold, so is it going to be the "Bad Boy"? but then again I know there is a few other contenders out there still...

It will also be interesting to see how the colors turned out in the captive reef environment.

• Like 2

Here you go Robert!

Final top-down shot:

272f1201-446f-48fb-b105-432b916c50d4_zps

Day 1 top-down shot:

36370690-d4e0-4733-9996-a089e0567861_zps

Final measurement:

IMG_2655_zpsi9pzvqbo.jpg

Comparison:

comparison_zpsgtfvpkfc.jpg

It's hard to get the angle right, but it looks to me like the center branch grew just a shade under 3/8 of an inch, and the long branch grew slightly under 1/8 of an inch. The frag plug was completely encrusted.

Thanks again for running this grow-out, Robert! I can't wait to start fragging this bad boy!

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 1