badxgillen

Official Cuttlefish and Corals Grow Out Competition 2015 Entry Thread

Yea.. My wrasse or cucumbers flipped a frag in the sand bed when I out of town. It was one I really like... Actually I really like all of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yea.. My wrasse or cucumbers flipped a frag in the sand bed when I out of town. It was one I really like... Actually I really like all of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

That'll do it!  One of a thousand ways to kill a treasured sps....

Ok was feeding the LPS tonight and pumps were off..........I still need a magic plastic ruler Kim :laugh:  anyway it looks like it is encrusting some and the blue sure does show now.......

IMG_1357.jpg

• Like 5

Your ruler is in the mail Scott! Here is my January submission. I could not get my photo to upload from my Dsl so I just took a picture of it lol. I got help this time! It looks to be about the same. .7 inches? It's still alive and I am seeing some of the blue. I took it today.

image_zpsrhz57tm8.jpeg

• Like 1

Unfortunately I am out mine is all but dead moved it into the light to quickly and it burned it bad and it has steadily receeded sense and is basically a skeleton now =(

Ok was feeding the LPS tonight and pumps were off..........I still need a magic plastic ruler Kim :laugh:  anyway it looks like it is encrusting some and the blue sure does show now.......

IMG_1357.jpg

Man, that is some PE!

• Like 2

Looking good everyone, I am glad it is doing well in so many different environments. This one seems to be rather versatile for an acropora.

I will get mine posted up here later in the day, gotta find that battery pack for the camera and its posting time.

• Like 1

Some misfortune on the frag frontier? 

hopefully once these guys start taking off we can get the people who lost theirs a little frag back.

Well my Lump has really taken off!!!...Horizontally :( 

But thats OK as I can tell it is certainly growing, gotta plant your feet down before you can really spread your wings\branches.

DSCF1583_zpskn6wjcjy.jpg

Still a tad bit over half an inch but starting to branch from 3 different places.

• Like 3

Mine is spreading out on the plug too, but hasn't grown much taller. It still has great PE and the coloration is fantastic. I'll post my picture in a day or two.

• Like 1

Here is my picture update. He's encrusting well, but no upward growth yet. It's got a nice blue to it, top polyp is kind of a green color. I really like it :)78457f2e6465f92e129f3597b6853c63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the Kessil person drop out?

I have a kessil and still going strong.......who were you thinking about? 

Got my magic ruler Thanks Kim :agree: will get a measurement but it still looks the same to me.......

Edited by spectra
  • Like 1

Must have been you then! I'm running kessil so I'm routing for you!

It is doing great look up a few posts and there is a pic.

Had something happen and lost a few things but the little guy pulled through......

• Like 1

I'll get a pic up tomorrow evening lights are already out for the night. Been crazy busy with work and kinda lost track. PE is non existent on mine lately but it's encrusting onto the plug and nice blue color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By badxgillen
      So as some of you noticed our October meeting fell a week late and spilled over into the month of November, but for good reason. We were having our meeting at the new Cuttlefish and Corals but there were some unexpected construction delays pushing our gathering back a week.
      No wine before its time is what I always say.

In the end it is all worth while to have things done right, and you will notice this place is quite proper. Asides from the much more accessible parking this new stores location has room, and lots of it. The place may very well be 3 to 4 times larger than the last establishment with windows and ceilings to match, it has that open and spacious feeling to it.

Instead of classic Isles like most stores there are what I would call "Islands" of shallow coral holding and frag tanks.

Of course theses were all appropriately full of some fine specimens that were sure not to disappoint the finest coral connoisseur. But we will get back to that later on cause now...

It looks like its time for the party to start.

Various foods for the get together were provided from a beautiful cheese & cracker tray to an assortment of crunchy vegetables, and we cannot forget Holly's delicious chocolate chip cookies can we...

Did I mention Jeff has a nice and comfy couch and table for the weary coral hunter, you could spend quite a bit of time here am I right?

From the beginning to the end Jorge had his work cut out for him, here you can see he has that customer service down.

Speaking of workers, I don't think I ever saw Robyna slow down once! Here are some Cool Cats right here, El Prez Emerald, Robyna, and Spectra all in one shot. And please don't be too upset at me for posting this photo up, I had too, I love it.

Kireek looking into one of those 50 gallon low boy tanks that look oh so sleek, I know I want one too...And are those the grow out ricordeas in there?! Save one for me yeah.

Robert Here checking out the fish aquariums, there is some serious swim space now. Its eally nice.

Our good secretary Miles enjoying the gathering, I bet he found some nice frags in that tank, I know I did. Once my main tank is stable again I will hook you up with some acro goodness.

Ron and family came in for a bit and picked up some killer fish and corals. We need to meet up again some time.

KKnight made it out, she is one of the Board Of Directors and active Tanks For Teachers advocate.

Albertareef getting an idea of whats going into that sweet new tank he has setup. One of everything Right!? 

Stylaster made his appearance with his cooler, always a pleasure exchanging words. I feel bad as I failed to get the name of the gentleman standing next to him but if some one can fill me in that would be great.

Dunpeal in the middle here scoping out the treasures to be had. 

Youcallmenny for another meeting but a first to the Cuttlefish and Corals. It didn't disappoint did it?

Hey its another one of my home boys int the house, HigherThinking! Did you snag that aqua blue clam in that tank we were looking at?

Now look who it is here, Zorro! Good acro talk we had, I hope the piece we got ends up looking as good as that wolverine you showed me, then I would totally be happy.

Vance getting closer and closer to getting his system up and running. I didn't get to talk with you at this one but I will be sure to send you a  message here soon about getting things chugging along.

Pantherguy, I haven't seen you since the Expo, good to see you again man.

The Clark and daughter came down to snag some fine corals and a nice tang, you all keep that ricordea fat and happy alright, Go Team Clark!

Flash21 getting in on the killer raffle for the PNWMAS club. Another apology from me that we did not get to meet properly, I snuck this photo in while I could. Roll out to the December meeting and we can actually have a conversation maybe.

Lady Sabrtooth. Now that you have that Goniopora in the sweet spot you should try your hand at some other flavors/colors like red or lime or even maybe a alveopora. I like to dream big sometimes.

Beer and son...Or Son and...Never mind. If you get a chip off the old pheonix keep me in mind will yah. I think I could make room in my tank for that. And thanks for bringing by that acro for me, I got it in a good spot I think.

Mr Bret our Treasurer who does a mighty fine job I must say and Gill&Fin who also pulls her own weight and then some on our Board of Directors. Kudos.

Haven't seen this guys face in a while, Jack, glad I got to see you even if it was only for a short bit. I presume you snagged that Torch you had your eyes on? So much Candy...

Danlu with his wife. So Daniel, is that 235 gallon rimless already packed or do you still have room for more corals..Wait Don't answer that!...There is always room for one more.

MattV is in da House! Another coral connoisseur with good taste.

You all know who this is, BicycleBill. Now I know you don't have any room in that stacked tank of yours, unless you did some sort of "renovation". Oh hek, there is always room for one more.

Some other good ole reefers I ran into were Drott and Moparfan, its good to be in the club isn't it. All these friendly faces that care about the same thing.

Ken made it to another gathering but there were so many people this time around I failed ot get a word in, my bad. Maybe I will see you all at the December Holiday meeting.

Jeff doing what he does best.

And last but not least is the Cuttlefish and Corals owner and the host with the most, Jeff.
      Thank You man, You Rock!

It was a great meet.

And now for some other shots of the people and corals involved in the days success.
    • By badxgillen
      As you all know there is a wonderful upcoming meet and greet & Barbecue being held in Portland at our PNWMAS Club Presidents house Emerald.

With the success of our first annual Oregon Reef Expo and our amazing amount of funds raised by our team we thought it would be nice to run a couple auctions of some spectacular coral frags we have.
      And once again all the proceeds will be going to the Tanks For Teachers program.

One of those win win scenarios here, get a batch of killer corals while helping out one of our favorite non profits.

Well enough Talk! Lets see what we have to auction here...A top notch high end SPS Acropora Frag Pack including...
        Greg Hiller Aqua Delight, Reef Farmers Red Robin, Twilight Dragon, C&C Blue Coma, Pro Corals Rainbow, Green Dragon Deep Water, Purple Plasma, and a Beautiful Golden Basket Acro. Thats 8 Killer Frags Here!   The bidding will end on Friday the 19th midnight, with preferred pick up at the August meeting at Emeralds House.

Let the bidding start.
    • By badxgillen
      This grow out frag will be going into one of my shallow acrylic tanks.
      Aquarium- Acrylic and about 120 gallons
      Filteration-Moded Coralife skimmer with Reef Octopus needle wheel pump.
      Circulation-Maxi Jet 1,500 Gallon Per Hour Circ Pump and the good old Koralia 750 gallon I believe for a total of 2,250GPH. I aim to get better flow soon this tank soon enough though.
      Daily\Weekly additions-Activated Carbon, carbon dosing, 3 part dosing BRS style, variety of frozen foods for the fish and coral gumbo.
      Fish- bi color angel, coral beauty angel, pair of percula clowns, and an algae blenny.
      Lighting- the new Reefi LED for 12 hours on and 12 hours off.

PH 8
      KH 9-10 I don't want it this high and aim to let it lower some before dosing again.
      Calcium 500 comments same as KH above
      Magnesium 1500
      Ammonia 0
      Nitrites 0
      Nitrates 5-10

Side Shot

And Top Down X)

I have a total of two polyps to start with...Actually I had four but I cut mine in half to make sure my friend Lex got to participate as well as I. It was my system that they got blown around in any ways. maybe they will show up...

Maybe not :(  

There is 300 pounds of rock in the system as well so who know where those polyps are.
    • By badxgillen
      Once again I hope Jesse does not mind me utilizing most of his write up for the rules of the competition. If it is uncalled for please let me know and I will see that it is taken down but if it is fine with you then it is much appreciated.

Well Contestants this is the official thread to post your entries! If you post your entry in another thread it will not count. Contest begins May 1st! You have a week before and a week after to post up your picture. This competition will run 4 months!

Ground Rules: The goal of this competition is to be both educational and fun. I am hopeful the winners will be able to share their "secrets" and truly see how different lighting, supplements, dosing, and tank parameters can make a difference in growth.

Rules and Guidelines for The Premium Aquarium Grow Out Competition. 

1.Your first post must include a quick write up of your system in the competition thread. Including tank size, flow, lighting, placement of the frag, frag measurement, equipment (ie calcium reactor, dosing, etc), feeding regiment, etc.

2. You will be required to post photo updates. The contest will start May 1st. You will be required to post a photo update once a month. I will remind you of this when the time is soon to post. I know life gets busy and people go out of town so you have a 2 week window to post.You will have 7 days before the 1st and 7 days after to post your update. If you do not post within the allotted time frame you will be disqualified. 

3. Please no cheating. This competition is meant to be fun and for bragging rights. Cheaters will be disqualified and banned from any future competitions(PEDS were not used for Frankenfrag).

4. The frags must remain on the original or similar plug. You may modify the plug if needed example cutting off the stem for placement but only once. You may place the frag anywhere you want in your tank and you may move it to a different spot during the competition but it is frowned upon  and you cannot move it to a new tank as the point is to see how the frag does over time in different systems.

5. Initial photos of frags need to have a top down as well as side shot so we can all see the frag and what you are starting with, a ruler next to the frag to provide proof of coverage is preferred. No hiding encrusting parts in your photos. Not following the rules will cause you to be disqualified, I know that sounds harsh but it is out of fairness to the rest of the group. Remember a lot can happen in 4 months. During the last growout many were DQ'd due to not posting. It's really simple. JUST DO IT. Length of competition: The competition will run for 4 months. This will give us enough time for the frag to grow. A lot can happen in 4 months and a lot of people could drop out, so if you are persistent, you have a chance to win the grand prize. This will give EVERYONE the same advantage\disadvantage with acclimation and so on. Pictures will be required frequently for updates. Final post will be September 7th 2016 for the winner. 

Judging a winner: Will be a little different this grow out. The most growth over the frag plug from the initial size wins, Mounding will not be a factor. We will make the final measurements by September 7th preferably with the same ruler used in the initial few posts.

Winner  of each category shall have glorious bragging rights along with the honors of choosing a desired "Nick Name" for their winning Goni.

and there will be prizes...
      The first being a $50.00 gift certificate to The Premium Aquarium
      and Second wins a choice zoa or SPS frag pack.
      and Third will get the zoa or SPS frag pack not already taken by 2nd.

Here I will be including a list of people who have checked in that will be updated over the length of the competition.

5)Lexinverts-*
      8) HigheThinking-*
      17) Eclipse-*
      20) Kenshin-*
    • By reefnjunkie
      Frag Farmers Snowcone Prostrata

TBD

TBD-2

Ultimate Frags Ultimate Tri Color

Pro Corals Rainbow Delight

Reef Ready Grape Juice

More to come (just a few-  )