SPS quickly dying

Zoolander

My SPS was fine before Thanksgiving but in the last 3 days it's rapidly dying. Everything else appears to be fine expect for what I believe it bird's nest. The other SPS has some white tips but I assumed it was new growth. Tank is as follows-

Temp 80

Salinity 1.029 (high but topped off last night so was most likely 1.026)

PH 8.4

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

KH 13 drops (whatever that converts to)

I'm also noticing algae is growing like the tank is cycling and that's just in the last couple days, also. The only thing I've changed in the last week is my RO/DI filters.

post-13265-0-49890400-1448937590_thumb.jpg

post-13265-0-69927200-1448937634_thumb.jpg

post-13265-0-69605700-1448937646_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

KH 13 drops (whatever that converts to)

Well I have no idea what test kit you are using, but if we're using the same test kit, that would be the problem. Combined with the high salinity. . . 

Do you have a phosphate reading by chance? What about magnesium?

There is so much that go into sticks it's really impossible to help you with the given info. From what you have posted your alk could be very off or right on, I'm not sure. Try to keep the salinity in range, that will help. The algae is coming from nitrate and phosphate so if you have a 0 nitrate reading (which is also a problem you need some nitrate) then you likely have phosphate for that level of browning. 

If you have been growing the frags for 6 months it could be because of a random alk spike or dip (again no idea on your test) and salinity. If they have only been around for a few weeks, it could be they have been dying for awhile. Sticks are tricky.

Give us all the info you can and we'll see if we can help you out more. 

I don't use API test kits so I don't know what 13 drops means for an ALK. I bet it came with instructions, or you could look it up online. 

If the frags are only a few weeks old I would guess there are multiple factors as to why you were not succsessful.

To be quite honest, SPS is not for everyone. SPS requires very stable parameters, constant dosing, good flow, and great wonder conditions. There is no shame in not being up to the work and there are many other very rewarding styles of salt water tanks you can have. 

Good luck to you. 

80 degress is pretty high temp

I think that is still a matter of debate between many of the different phd's in the hobby. Some studies find that 82-84F is ideal, some like it lower. All seem to agree that stability is important. 80F will not kill SPS IME

Higher temps very basically speed up metabolism and can increase growth given other factors are in place. To high of temps are fatal. To low of temps significantly slow metabolism and for many SPS that is considered to be around 74-75. The corals metabolism affects how whether or not they are repairing themselves, whether or not they are growing, whether they can reproduce and how fast or slow all of those things happen. 

There is some pretty good reading about temperature, but when you read things make sure you look at the whole setup. Some guys that keep temps in the 86-88F range have to do a lot of other things to maintain that including higher alkalinities and more available nutrients. You can't do just one piece of the system. You have to look at all of it. 

I've read both, I settled on 80 but was at 78 for a long time. 

I will lower the salinity and alk and see what happens. It's been a long time since I've had SPS let alone issues with SPS so I appreciate the responses. I'd rather ask than assume I know from experience and kill them by being wrong. Like everything else, it's easy until it goes wrong.