Quarantine Fish

numb-n-stingy

I also treat with Prazi pro on every fish. I would advise against using any copper, unless you are treating with it at the proper level. Low levels of copper can mask symptoms and will not treat the fish. I typically try to get the fish eating well before using Prazi, then one week treatment of that or 2 weeks if I run a second Prazi treatment. I monitor the fish for any other issues and treat accordingly. I've used both hypo salinity and cupramine for ich and have had good results with both. Tank transfer method is the other option for treating ich. 30 day minimum for QT.

All fish that I buy get a prazipro bath before going into a 3 month minimum QT tank. If Ich does appear I treat with hypo salinity for 12 weeks and then raise the salinity and QT for another couple of weeks. If antibiotics are needed I treat in a separate tank from my QT system. Then place them back in the QT for at least 12 weeks. I have not had disease or parasites in my reef display in the 15 years now I have been in this hobby. 

I keep a 90g tank running that I use for a QT system. To me it is worth the investment. I consider fish my pets, I get pretty attached to each fish (probably because they hang out with me for 3 months in my office), for me it's worth the peace of mind. 

For corals I just dip them. 

Here's a question - I'm almost cycled on my new 200g. I have a biocube with a few fish in it now but lots and lots of corals. I wasn't going to move the corals over until I had a good system going in the new tank. That limits my quarantine options.

My first thought was to get a good number of fish (not too many to overload obviously) and just throw them in the 200g and treat that as my quarantine. But treating 200g with Prazi seems like a lot of waste. Plus, will it have any negative effects on my brand new bio-filtration abilities...as in, a weakened bio load capacity? Will running carbon really remove it all from the system and make it safe for corals etc? I guess I could put them in and only treat if there seems to be an issue.

The other option is just to get the water levels in the 200g nice and steady and go ahead and move everything from the biocube into the new tank. Then use the biocube as my quarantine.

What do y'all suggest? I'd obviously like to get big fish in the big tank vs. having them stuck in the biocube for too long.

Prazipro or Cupramine are antiparasitics and will not kill bacteria on their own. If you have large populations of some of the things they target you can get a large ammonia outbreak which can kill beneficial bacteria. 

I'm not sure if there is an acceptable fallow period for velvet.

I had a velvet outbreak and now my DT has been fallow for two weeks. How many more weeks should I leave it empty before introducing fish? One other thing, does prazipro or cupramine kill beneficial bacteria?

Fallow period for velvet is 6 weeks. I would recommend going a little longer, so you only have to do it once. 

• 3 months later...

A lot of good advise here. Personally I've qt twice. A clown. I week 1.020 salinity to 1.025. 1 week paraguard. 1.5 week onservation until my filter failed and put 2 gallons of water on the floor...

This time I qt'd a tailspot and sixline. Started at 1.023 took to hypo. 15ppt. And dosed 1 week paraguard. 6line got popeye and fin rot. Treated furan-2 and sixline didn't make it. Observed and spent 2 weeks bringing up to 1.025 again. Tailspot seems ok. Observing. So 4 weeks minimum