hello all, yet another newby

Scottb

I just need to say..... this is a terrible hobby. We went up to ptown for the $9 yellow tang on Saturday. came home and I just couldn't get it to eat. Of course it was the ONLY fish that my daughter wanted, and it died just a couple of minutes ago.

I understand they are stressed, and who knows the history of the fish. And in no way shape or form do I blame the shop. After all it was a $9 tang, well worth the risk. But I think I will stick to my chromis , goby, and clowns for a while, let everything get good and established and try again in a few months. Im hooked

That's a bummer sorry to here that. There is a great role to live buy in this hobby (buy fish that are eating at the store). and that you shouldn't buy fish that's not eating I never gone to a fish store and ask them to feed the fish and them refuse in the Northwest if you're interested just ask them to feed him if it eats chances are he'll eat in your tank.

I just need to say..... this is a terrible hobby. We went up to ptown for the $9 yellow tang on Saturday. came home and I just couldn't get it to eat. Of course it was the ONLY fish that my daughter wanted, and it died just a couple of minutes ago.

I understand they are stressed, and who knows the history of the fish. And in no way shape or form do I blame the shop. After all it was a $9 tang, well worth the risk. But I think I will stick to my chromis , goby, and clowns for a while, let everything get good and established and try again in a few months. Im hooked

Just a heads up, fish can be kept at hypo salinity in shops. I think it's easier on not getting various ailments (not sure exactly), but it also means that you need to take your time acclimating the fish back up to normal salinity. I took many many hours to acclimate my recent fish purchase. Awesome Sail Fin!

I always check salinity if acclimating fish because that's the one that will get you if the change is more than a couple points.

• Like 1