Temp controller

BoringDave

I was looking at those. I ended up going with a Johnson controls A-419. Review I read about the ranco controller said the same thing about the losing power bit. It is total user error on the ranco or JCI controller, so very possibly user error on this one too. I'd send seller a question before moving to something different. There are a lot of stupid people that leave product reviews, so you have to take them with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

The two Ranco controllers I have do not reset with power off.  I just plugged my larval tank back in and the set point was still the same.

Remember, you can get an APEX for about $400 that will handle all of that, so be careful you don't end up spending a $150 for just temp control.

The two Ranco controllers I have do not reset with power off.  I just plugged my larval tank back in and the set point was still the same.

Remember, you can get an APEX for about $400 that will handle all of that, so be careful you don't end up spending a $150 for just temp control.

There is no way I'll end up spending $150 just on a temp control. A used Apex jr. I could see but not just a temp controll.

I have the inkbird itc-308

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01147BAME?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

I have been using it a while now and it works great. The probe has a metal sheath that needs to be removed (easy to do) otherwise it will rust (found that out the hard way). Other than that, works great for pretty cheap. I have been burned by relying on the heater temp control itself before so this is/was a nice piece of mind, and now I can always have my wife check the temp easily and no spendy controller! I haven't encountered the issue with it losing its settings after losing power. 

• Like 1

I have the inkbird itc-308

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01147BAME?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

I have been using it a while now and it works great. The probe has a metal sheath that needs to be removed (easy to do) otherwise it will rust (found that out the hard way). Other than that, works great for pretty cheap. I have been burned by relying on the heater temp control itself before so this is/was a nice piece of mind, and now I can always have my wife check the temp easily and no spendy controller! I haven't encountered the issue with it losing its settings after losing power. 

Based on this tip, I am using one and my son's tank too. 38 bucks is pretty reasonable as the unit is fully sealed and plug n play.

It seems to work well, and thanks for the tip to remove the metal, works great!

• 3 years later...