Lighting help

Salty Pickle

Ok heres the deal.

Aquarium Dimensions: Length: 24” Width: 15” Height: 13”

I need a lighting recommendation based on the above tank and a desire to grow out SPS. I have looked into LEDs and I can't afford the price tag. I looked into DIY LEDs and I don't have the time nor the knowledge on how to build a fixture.

I can afford a cheap 4bulb t5ho fixture and buy ATI bulbs for it.

or

I also have a kessil a150 laying around and found a second one for $100 that I could buy and pair them

Will any of the above options work for SPS? I know that the best option is always the one I can't afford but I have to keep it around $200 and there is nothing I can do about it. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks for your time and Happy Reefing!!!

Hey SP I think your best bet out of the two options is the kessil's but you can get a cheaper led off ebay for your budget and I would venture to assume come Black Friday even find a good deal. Also Ocean Revive is a sponsor on the forumn as a well as Reefstar and both might have a used or refurbished unit they could sell you at a price you can afford. Hope this helps a little, good luck finding what you want!

I agree that the two kessils would be a really good option. If your looking to get a single unit, the ocean revive that Brian mentioned would be a good choice. I run two of those above my frag tank and they grow SPS very well! Not sure what their effective coverage is but I have mine on a 48x30x12 tank and they light it up pretty well. They also make two models. One with a built in timer and one without. The model with the timer(T247) is $199 and the normal model(S026) is $137 on their website right now. Jeff at C&C has them from time to time. He could probably order you one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upscales has 4 bulb T5 fixtures for $100 I believe. I've got that with ATI bulbs on my IM Fusion on my tank at work. It will definitely grow SPS. My recommendation though? Call RapidLED and see if they are still offering the 10% off that Rudy set up, and get a refurbished Onyx. That's what he had running over those frag tanks. It will be the same price as T5 if you factor in only the next set of bulbs you'll need to buy in a year.