Streaming

Frank

I’m getting tired of the crazy cable bill. So I thought I would pose the question to anyone who is streaming. I know I have to use Comcast for my internet but wanted to look at good streaming choices. I have a 4k set and it is a smart TV I want something you can DVR.  What is good for streaming?

I suppose this isn't really addressing your question, but I recently went with Dish. Big package (like 250 channels) and locked in the price for $65 bucks/month for two years. Got every sports channel free for a year and a $200 MasterCard gift card. I hate Comcast....hate them. I've been in my new house for almost three months and still haven't gotten internet yet because I hate the fact I'll be going through them. I just don't think there is anything compatible for internet. Anyway, thought I'd throw that out. Most streaming tends to be Hulu and Netflix. I'm sure there are others.

Edited by Higher Thinking

I cut the cable cord this past summer and never looked back. Had to keep the Comcast internet but run a Xbox and a roku player for my needs. Netflix, Amazon prime, Hulu, HBO go, showtime anytime, Cbs all access, and slingtv for viewing options. You will probably want to wait till football is over. Monday night football is on slingtv but the rest is hard to get.

You can always ditch the fancy cable and just get basic for football needs. It runs about 65 a month for basic cable and Internet without a promo.

I haven't had cable in almost 6 years now. I stream hulu, netflix, amazon prime, youtube and I rent movies on Vudu. I "legally" download HD movies :nono: and television shows on torrents using bit torrent so I can take my expensive TV out for a test-drive once in awhile. I also visit the red box occasionally. I tried the Roku for awhile but by the time I paid the monthly memberships for my favorite channels, I was back up to the price of my old cable bill. Unfortunately there is no one service or combination of streaming services that will give you the freedom and diversity of useless crap like cable does. After 6 years, I have pretty much exhausted the streaming services for all their good content and I am now watching things like "Zombeaver". The initial pains of getting rid of cable will pass. I often found myself pacing around the house like a crackhead looking for my next fix, willing to do bad things in dark alleys, but I stayed clean. One the upside of things, the savings and the boredom will force you to stimulate the coral market. To further my savings, I keep my internet bill down by calling and cancelling every 3 months. When I got my internet they gave me a good deal and when that deal ran out I called and threatened to cancel. I have been doing that now for about 5 years and have never paid more than what the "promotional price" is when I call. Hope you find what your looking for because I haven't, I miss cable but not the bill.

Edited by Salty Pickle
  • Like 1

I suppose this isn't really addressing your question, but I recently went with Dish. Big package (like 250 channels) and locked in the price for $65 bucks/month for two years. Got every sports channel free for a year and a $200 MasterCard gift card. I hate Comcast....hate them. I've been in my new house for almost three months and still haven't gotten internet yet because I hate the fact I'll be going through them. I just don't think there is anything compatible for internet. Anyway, thought I'd throw that out. Most streaming tends to be Hulu and Netflix. I'm sure there are others.

they kinda got you, there the only good internet provider, the other company's don't compare! But they scam like no other, and have worst customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had cable in almost 6 years now. I stream hulu, netflix, amazon prime, youtube and I rent movies on Vudu. I "legally" download HD movies :nono: and television shows on torrents using bit torrent so I can take my expensive TV out for a test-drive once in awhile. I also visit the red box occasionally. I tried the Roku for awhile but by the time I paid the monthly memberships for my favorite channels, I was back up to the price of my old cable bill. Unfortunately there is no one service or combination of streaming services that will give you the freedom and diversity of useless crap like cable does. After 6 years, I have pretty much exhausted the streaming services for all their good content and I am now watching things like "Zombeaver". The initial pains of getting rid of cable will pass. I often found myself pacing around the house like a crackhead looking for my next fix, willing to do bad things in dark alleys, but I stayed clean. One the upside of things, the savings and the boredom will force you to stimulate the coral market. To further my savings, I keep my internet bill down by calling and cancelling every 3 months. When I got my internet they gave me a good deal and when that deal ran out I called and threatened to cancel. I have been doing that now for about 5 years and have never paid more than what the "promotional price" is when I call. Hope you find what your looking for because I haven't, I miss cable but not the bill.

downloading bit torrent is not illegal but what u do with it is;)! Getting free movies and games is not legal... But aye who's going to stop u;)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mitrillion

I have been super happy with my AppleTV....  and since i have the comcast internet..... you still get the basic channels.  Redbox is a great way to get your BD for a far rental price....  AppleTV's rentals are pretty up to date for movie rentals as well.

I set up a HTPC back in 2011 has been working Great. I have 2,5TB Worth of Space on it, and to make things Simpler for the woman I got rid of XBMC and Opted for Plex. So the HTPC has the Plex server running on it, where as the Samsung Smart TV already has a program for it, and for the other TV's I use Plex on a Roku. I have just the Basic cable package and a Netflix subscription, anything Else can be found on the Piratebay, Kickass, Demonoid, or IPTorrents.

My Galaxy S3 has VNC & Transdroid linked to my HTPC so while out an about I can barcode scan Movies or simply search for Shows that come to mind that will initiate the download on the HTPC so it's ready to go when I get home. I found this has been by far the most cheap and effective method in obtaining media to stream

You should try fire tv stick with xbmc side loaded it's about as simple as it gets and wife friendly too. It's what I run on all my sets synced up too my 6TB freenas server running couch potato, sickbeard and sabnzbd on Usenet. 100% automation and I can watch whatever I want anytime.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Edited by earthbound