Skagit Adventist Academy

afautheree

Here are a few shots of our tank at this point. Most everything seems to be happy and thriving. My students are very involved in testing and tank care. We're having fun and learning a lot about corals and the marine habitat. Thanks again for all the support and help that you've given to this project! post-15745-144719638575_thumb.jpgpost-15745-144719640627_thumb.jpgpost-15745-144719643542_thumb.jpgpost-15745-144719645861_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It's looking good, Aubrey.

One thing that I am having fun with in my school tank is my seneye monitor. There are daily pH swings that are interesting to interpret.

As an example, the pH goes down when corals are respiring at night but not photosynthesizing. During the day, the pH goes up because the corals are using up the CO2 in the water column. And on weekends, when I am not in my office, the pH goes much higher......because I am not sitting in my office puffing out CO2.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4416+28969&pcatid=28969

I doing a lab with my OSU students on ocean acidification, and a question they will get extra credit for is what is responsible for the high pH in my office reef tank on weekends.

You can also watch the ammonia level rise in the tank after you feed the fish.

• Like 3

It's looking good, Aubrey.

One thing that I am having fun with in my school tank is my seneye monitor. There are daily pH swings that are interesting to interpret.

As an example, the pH goes down when corals are respiring at night but not photosynthesizing. During the day, the pH goes up because the corals are using up the CO2 in the water column. And on weekends, when I am not in my office, the pH goes much higher......because I am not sitting in my office puffing out CO2.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4416+28969&pcatid=28969

I doing a lab with my OSU students on ocean acidification, and a question they will get extra credit for is what is responsible for the high pH in my office reef tank on weekends.

You can also watch the ammonia level rise in the tank after you feed the fish.

Thanks! It has been a great addition to our classroom. Thanks for the info on the seneye monitor. I'm planning on adding an Apex system to our tank. It's great to hear what you've been able to observe and how you're using the information with your students. I would be interested in hearing what type of activities and labs you use with your classes.

Thanks! It has been a great addition to our classroom. Thanks for the info on the seneye monitor. I'm planning on adding an Apex system to our tank. It's great to hear what you've been able to observe and how you're using the information with your students. I would be interested in hearing what type of activities and labs you use with your classes.

Cool. The Apex should allow you to collect a lot of data on your tank. Like I said, continuous pH monitoring in your classroom has excellent educational potential. With the Apex, you can monitor ORP as well.

• Like 1

Very cool classroom tank! Looks like you have a cyano algae bloom going on, I would use some ChemiClean to take care of it. I get it seasonally and just treated mine last week. Could be a cool experiment for the class!

Thanks for the suggestion....the tank is less than 6 months old and I'm still going through the challenges of a new tank and my in tank water movement isn't what I'd like it to be. I'm hoping to remedy that soon and that will help with that problem too. The ChemiClean may be just what I need to be sure to eliminate it from our tank. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm looking for some macro algae to put in my sump to get a refugium started. I'm planning on coming down for the meeting this weekend. Is there a LFS that sells it? I'm thinking on getting some Chaeto.....what other varieties would be recommended? I've got a space in my 75 gallon sump for it. What should I use for lighting? I've been having a fight with my nitrates and I'm wanting to use a natural method to export them.... I appreciate any input. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the meeting! A

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm looking for some macro algae to put in my sump to get a refugium started. I'm planning on coming down for the meeting this weekend. Is there a LFS that sells it? I'm thinking on getting some Chaeto.....what other varieties would be recommended? I've got a space in my 75 gallon sump for it. What should I use for lighting? I've been having a fight with my nitrates and I'm wanting to use a natural method to export them.... I appreciate any input. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the meeting! A

Did you get some Chaeto? I still have some left, after throwing out about half of it the other day.

• 2 months later...

I haven't posted any pics in a while so I thought I'd post some of what we've been up to in science class! We've had a couple of bumps as we've learned tank husbandry in Marine Biology class this year.. The result was a spike in our nitrate levels leading to some coral stress and death of a few pieces unfortunately . We've since cleaned up our act and we're off and running again! The pieces that you shared with us are doing great for the most part. The few zoa frags have grown into full gardens! MrBrett's Devil's Hand is doing well and is interesting to watch as it "deflates" at nigh to go to sleep and then the next day its up and looking awesome! Thanks so much for getting us up and running last fall!! The support you all give to classrooms is the best!!! Three cheers for PNWMAS! Most recently @LegendaryCorals has helped us add a few new pieces to our collection. We've also added a few new fish that demonstrate several different methods of swimming for the students to observe. We also have 3 varieties of shrimp and 2 different crabs in our little piece of the ocean. Thanks again to this group for your continual support! I look forward to the next meeting I'm able to make it down for! Cheers!87ba0afd0f1fcf5bf4597f446e209f60.jpg53609fe84ac2f65c5ecee945463362d6.jpg1c824d4880b8c8a6d09238c8d48128d7.jpg6ca079ccc06b79052749c77ad2a1f47c.jpg19b081f1e76930e68f6fd9579d89bb25.jpg7c12c607e723d2176992c4d668a86402.jpg653746ad88e75e83b8c567bc59640894.jpg7f5efcda464dbf88dce85c214856c211.jpg90dc09d7dc7365d34338a326d8d46d11.jpga69bb80352b97ff62a8dc2b09c9e024c.jpg52328111a9d498462ff85dd8a1f13248.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

This is so awesome! Thanks for sharing. I wish I had had this in my class! Hopefully you can make another meeting! I'm sure there would be members happy to donate frags to you!

Thanks! I'm hoping to be able to come down next month....not sure yet but I would love to participate in both of the tours!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try! Hopefully with getting our nitrates under control we won't be encouraging its growth in the future!!

Beautiful achilles! I'm not much of a tang fan, but I love those. :wub:

Thanks! I thought it was a striking fish! I'm a sucker for tangs.....nothing better unless it's an angelfish. ...or a butterfly. ....or maybe a cool wrasse. ....and those anthias are really nice. ...;0)

• Like 2