180 Gallon Glass House

Higher Thinking

Big thanks to Cerk for the hookup on equipment and zoas. He gave me a couple ballast, reflectors, and end caps for my future T5 modification I'll be doing on the canopy.

Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll get that all wired together and get some bulbs. Speaking of: If anyone has some 48" bulbs for sale, let me know. Thanks!

Here are the zoas courtesy of the cell:

bc2674c6aef715706719c903d9861dcd.jpg

Rastas and Ring of Fire

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, update time. Due to not quarantining my coral, I now have AEFW. I dipped the incoming coral and then noticed the worms in the dip after placing the coral in the display.

I was hoping to be able to keep the worms contained to just the new colonies through twice weekly dips. Well unfortunately that didn't work, as I have them on established pieces now.

So time for drastic measures. I know the ideal setup to ensure elimination would be through another complete setup. However, I'm not wanting to risk more stress with new flow, lighting, and potentially inconsistent parameters. So I will pull out all acros, twice a week, and dip them.

To help accomplish this, I pulled all encrusted acros off, mounted them to plugs, and then situated them on a single rack. That will allow me to pull them out and dip them all at the same time. I also have four large pieces that will get put through the treatment. I then smashed all encrusted coral.

ae7375f8a922e6f76d335d9882a913e4.jpg

84c23328794637a05503201d64b7a1a4.jpg

08f1d2dbd6d594f5587556e831f2a42a.jpg

It'll basically be a 5 gallon water change twice a week. I'm hoping for the best, but the coral already look pretty stressed out. A lot of them are looking pretty brown and pale. Super lame....

Edited by Higher Thinking
  • Like 1

Been there man:/ Bayer dips every 5 days for a month and a half knocked them right out of my tank! Haven't seen one since! I did have a couple colonies die due to stress from dips though. :/

Good luck with your battle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[language filter] Andrew that sucks! Sorry to see that going on, you know I have been fighting Dinos for over a year now and throwing in the towel myself. You are right quarantine is your safest bet, though I can understand the concern of stressing the corals, wouldn't dipping them twice a week be just as much if not more stressful?

I wish you luck, hopefully you can eliminate them.

[language filter] Andrew that sucks! Sorry to see that going on, you know I have been fighting Dinos for over a year now and throwing in the towel myself. You are right quarantine is your safest bet, though I can understand the concern of stressing the corals, wouldn't dipping them twice a week be just as much if not more stressful?

I wish you luck, hopefully you can eliminate them.

Even when they go in their own qt setup, they would still need the same amount of dipping.

• 1 month later...

Much like everyone else, I am past due for an update. I'm pretty sure I have defeated the AEFW. I almost killed all my acros, but everything has been moving in the right direction now.

I was dipping the corals like normal and I had a heater and small pump running in tub. The water accidentally got a few degrees too warm which I don't think is a huge deal. But when I removed the pump, there was a short in the wire and it was sizzling. I didn't feel any current in the water, but I was grounded so maybe I wouldn't. At any rate, all the acros didn't have any polyp extension for a couple weeks and they proceeded to all turn nearly white. I thought they were all goners.

Fast forward a month and everything is coming back around. The coral coloration is not exactly what it was before, but it is WAY better than it was. I've lost one colony and a frag (it got killed by a milli that got pushed up alongside it). I'm not sure what happened with the colony. I have been doing regular inspections and haven't seen any eggs or bite marks.

Anyway here are a couple shots of where I'm at. I still have most of the frags on the temp frag rack. I'll place the frags and remove the rack at some point.

From left side:

21fd6cd858f1a2df1da64408bca65b7e.jpg

From right side:

da9e672c53ab30d313d349431f54af46.jpg

And a couple FTS:

224b54712d421c0d1be19590cc6426df.jpg

0d71aeb1e84e5f9e7aea720cb427e15e.jpg

Edited by Higher Thinking

• 7 months later...

I went ahead and added three T5s to the canopy. I really appreciate how the bulbs even out the whole display's lighting. I'm confident the bulbs are improving the SPS coloration as well.

I was going to go with four bulbs, but I just didn't have enough room to cutout that much, plus still be able to hold up the LEDs. Here is what it looks like now:

0d9380bfa9b3694baf69ec08bbc7c4b2.jpg

b9fb583a7979146c08c5288c32c5aa14.jpg

7ae426acb26f4e82bf653761114de425.jpg

Tank is looking bomb man, some killer progress in the light build and some good growth going in all those corals. That purple cap is getting out of hand. After looking at this I am thinking I might dig out a T-5 to supplement my main tank here just for fun, can't hurt right? Fill in some of those light "gaps" so to speak.