180 Gallon Glass House

Higher Thinking

Was the concrete block preformed or did you pour it in the crawlspace? I want to reinforce my floors so I can upgrade my tank. Any tips?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

They are preformed concrete pier blocks from HD. Do your best to compact the ground beneath the block. I used the block and just lifted it up and smashed it down over and over again to compact the dirt.

Also, get yourself adjustable pier block supports. I can't remember exactly where I got mine, but it was some random construction supply spot in Albany, I think. You can order them online, I would imagine. These make adjustments a total breeze.

Overall, it was pretty simple.

• Like 2

That's looking real nice.

I'm curious what the clothes in the closet smell like. :)

Are those battery backups you built in? If so, what advice would you give if I wanted to do something similar? I have a big closet directly behind the tank that I wanted to put some battery stacks in but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

That's looking real nice.

I'm curious what the clothes in the closet smell like. :)

Are those battery backups you built in? If so, what advice would you give if I wanted to do something similar? I have a big closet directly behind the tank that I wanted to put some battery stacks in but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

No battery backups yet. Just surge protectors and light ballasts. As to the clothes smell...I'm not sure yet. I'll have to wait until the skimmer starts sucking out some major nastiness. The wife will let me know. I may install a ceiling fan to suck air outside, Idk yet.

Light hood looks sharp!

So to work in the tank, just hook the chain lower to raise the light?

Been pondering what to do on my new build for suspending the lights to it is quite interesting.

Great stuff!

I decided to forego any suspension adjustments. The way it hangs now I can access most things. Depending on how that works in the future, I may add a little clip that will allow it to get pushed back against the wall which will give me an extra 5 inches of arm room. Edited by Higher Thinking

How have I not met Tulip yet?

Oh the tank looks alright too... I guess... I mean... where are the corals? In the garage still.

:D

You sir, have not met her because your wifey was too sick to visit last month ;) Hopefully we'll get a visit scheduled here shortly. I'm excited to have y'all over here!

As for the corals....well...let's just say I'm always improving. I'm hoping this old school, hip hop gangsta I know will hook me up.

Edited by Higher Thinking

Really nice and clean looking setup!

Any ventilation in thy hood? With that mh, you may be able to bake some bread in there;)

The hood is wide open. Here are pics from the top.

87176b1c5e18d50902b93455320a60fc.jpg

9c09f9d81b97257f46a78baed6f09979.jpg

While I built the cutouts in such a way that the lights should never fall through, but you never know. To prevent any disasters, I've chained the lights to the canopy.

• Like 1

As for the corals....well...let's just say I'm always improving. I'm hoping this old school, hip hop gangsta I know will hook me up.

I do need to trim my tank. All the SPS is starting to grow into/over/through each other.

Maybe after the first of the year, or if you wanna see pics from us diving the gulf the begining of Feb ;)

Wow, this makes me realize how small my "big project" of setting up a new tank with the sump beneath really is. I can't even fathom being this handy. You are going to have one amazing tank! Can't wait to see it filled with corals and fish.

One person's idea of a big project, will always be small to someone else. I'm sure your project is quite involved. But thanks for the compliments!
  • Like 1

So I updated the plumbing to include a three way manifold. I've hooked my calcium reactor up to one outlet and currently have the other two plugged. I'll probably run a carbon reactor and then who knows? Maybe UV some day?

3abeb1f18c96af2e437903deb118971b.jpg

475698215b8898061d6227a4780edaba.jpg

I also picked up some nice millis and a hippo tang from Jeff today at Cuttlefish!

I'll have to get some pictures up sometime this week. I'm currently in the midst of a think diatom bloom so pictures look terribly. The tank will look much nicer once this runs it's course.

I also need to get in there and adjust the wiring. I need to buy some Velcro pads and straps to affix things. I also want to order myself a couple DJ power strips. If anyone has some to sell, let me know.

No tang police here, he should be nice and happy.

Nice build Andrew, wish I could have helped you out with this one, maybe I can throw you a frag or two to get things rolling. I will see about making some cuts since it looks like your tank should be ready any day now right? I dig the canopy too, if I didn't have things on top of my tank I might look into that style, maybe on an account. All in all looking good my friend.

You finally have a hippo tang! :)

Yeah I'm pretty stoked about it. Although it was only in the tank a few hours before lights out. That's when he promptly found a little crack in between rocks to chill out for the night. I was kinda worried, but reading online it appears that these tangs will often do that. I got home late tonight and lights were already dimming and he's in there. I'm hoping he was out during the day, but I'm not sure. Hopefully he ain't stuck in there.

I'm Jealous :)

Looking very good your going to love the Gyre i have the big one in my 100 gallon tank i just hooked up and i have to keep that sucker on low it moves that water like a darn tsunami not even kidding.

If you got the big one I doubt you will need anything else with so many options on these things it will push water and do whatever you want it to do.

This thing is like 6 darn power heads.

Enjoy like your build nicely done.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it WAS nice having a hippo tang. :(

While I was at work, the fish pulled a Free Willy on me and jumped into the overflow. Normally this wouldn't be a problem except that I don't have any filter screens on the plumbing. The fish managed to end up through the first turn, but got stuck somewhere along the rest of the plumbing.

The emergency drains were in full effect so it's good to know they work like they are supposed to. I just can't seem to flush the fish out. I have true unions under the stand and opened that up and couldn't see it. So it was able to make the 45° turn, but looks like it got held up at the ninety. I feel bad for the thing getting devastated down in the plumbing, but there isn't much to do except wait for the carcass to work it's way through.

I've been dropping a little Prime in the water to detoxify any potential ammonia spikes. But now I need a new fish :(

Actually, you don't need a new fish. You need some strainers! Don't send another fish down the tube!!

That sucks man. Hate when that stuff happens. I once came home and couldn't find a fairly large fish anywhere. Looked everywhere. Then I found it in a 10g hospital tank set up like a foot away. [language filter] thing jumped and landed in the hospital tank. Amazing. Only fish to ever experience a falling sensation and live.

Actually, you don't need a new fish. You need some strainers! Don't send another fish down the tube!!

That sucks man. Hate when that stuff happens. I once came home and couldn't find a fairly large fish anywhere. Looked everywhere. Then I found it in a 10g hospital tank set up like a foot away. [language filter] thing jumped and landed in the hospital tank. Amazing. Only fish to ever experience a falling sensation and live.

Dang! The tank to tank jump is impressive! I will definitely be looking for some strainers ASAP.
  • Like 1

Dang, sorry he went free willy on ya

7da5ff834d5c40b3153b59673217c627.jpg

Thanks man. I never found a body though. I at least stopped by TPA and got myself a pair of strainers. Shouldn't have this problem again.

This is a impressive setup! Can't wait to buy a house so I can do stuff like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words. Home ownership has definitely been an exciting boost to my aquatics passion!