Sign in to follow this  
Toblkflys

Where To Purchase A New Tank In Portland?

Hi all! I actually live in Arizona but my brother is in Portland. He would like to set up a tank; 29gal-60gal. Where is the best place to purchase? Does this forum have a buy/sell section? Is there another site/forum for the area where there is a buy/sell section?

I am fortunate to have a reef club on reefcentral.com. Unfortunately, there is not a club listed for the Portland area. Any suggestions would be helpful; such as good saltwater stores, etc.

Thank you for your time in reading this!

Upscales has tanks, Nuvos, all the way to custom built tanks. I'm not sure for 100 percent but I'm pretty sure other stores have tanks and have the ability to get them. I'm selling a nuvo Fusion 20 nearly compete setup minus light and heater if he'd be interested in that. It's used but I good shape

There is also a for sale/trade subforum here as well.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by PowderBlue

Hi all! I actually live in Arizona but my brother is in Portland. He would like to set up a tank; 29gal-60gal. Where is the best place to purchase? Does this forum have a buy/sell section? Is there another site/forum for the area where there is a buy/sell section?

I am fortunate to have a reef club on reefcentral.com. Unfortunately, there is not a club listed for the Portland area. Any suggestions would be helpful; such as good saltwater stores, etc.

Thank you for your time in reading this!

I was born and raised in Arizona so its very nice to meet a fellow Arizonian and to solute you in your ability to live in an oven  :laugh:. I was up until very recently in the same boat as your brother. I made the mistake of ordering my tank and equipment online and I quickly regretted that decision. I had issues with multiple products (heater, ATO, AUQA media basket) and resolving the issues became more of a hassle than I ever care to deal with again. In most cases it became cheaper and less headache to just take the loss. 

I really wish I would have shopped locally. Locally, my personal experience has taken me to "cuttle fish and corals" and "upscales", and both shops have been more than willing to help me obtain whatever my aquarium needs may be. In some cases they cost a little more than what you find online but to me it is insignificant and a small price to pay for a piece of mind. I will gladly pay a few extra bucks to be able to walk into a shop with a problem and find accountability and integrity. 

If used is not an issue, there is excellent deals on tanks and equipment on the forums in the "classified threads." I have dealt with quite a few members on the forums and have found honesty, fairness, integrity and a passion for helping fellow aquarists thrive in the hobby. 

In summary, you have landed in the right place. Between the local sponsors and the members here on the forums, all of your brothers aquarium needs can be met. I really wish your brother success in his pursuit of the hobby and happy reefing to the both of you. 

I just recently moved here from Phoenix myself, and although the group on this site is nowhere near the size of the group in Phoenix on RC, there's still quite a bit of stuff for sale here. Craigslist here is fairly good. And don't quote me, but I think petco is running their $1 per gallon deal right now, so that could be an inexpensive way to get started (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just recently moved here from Phoenix myself, and although the group on this site is nowhere near the size of the group in Phoenix on RC, there's still quite a bit of stuff for sale here. Craigslist here is fairly good. And don't quote me, but I think petco is running their $1 per gallon deal right now, so that could be an inexpensive way to get started (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The $1/gal sale is until November 7th; one day left.

I have always dealt with Shane at Caye's Aquarium on about 137th and se division when I lived in Portland Or. He is very knowledgeable and will help along the way to get you started.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Will
      Brand new Marineland 300 deep dimension "corner flow" aquarium for sale. Includes new tank and new tank stand, black. Tank has never been filled and is currently in storage unit. I am only asking $2,000 firm. I am in the Beaverton area. 
      Willbowler@hotmail.com
    • By timfountain
      Up for sale is a 1/4 HP Ecoplus chiller. It's just collecting dust in my garage and I have never needed to run it on my tank. It is used but <2 years old and <6 months of use (used it when I was in TX). Great condition, super clean, no scratches, dings, dust or rust, I figure someone can use it in this weather. I am in Tigard/Bull Mountain. You pickup please. $150
    • By Jeremevans
      This is the start of a thread that will follow the build and progression of my 200g tank.
      The tank is expected to primarily house SPS, but you could call it a mixed reef...or a compromise. My wife wants to have more fish and I want to have more SPS.
      This project started in late March 2017. It began with an interest in a larger tank and specifically a tank with deep dimensions (cube or close to a cube).
      As we started to look at custom tanks we stumbled upon a used tank for sale that met the general concept we were after. That tank measures 48 wide x 36 deep x 27 tall. The glass appears to be 1/2" this and front and sides of the tank are low iron Starphire glass. The bottom glass appears to be a bit thicker.
      Step one was loading it into a truck and moving it from Hillsborough to St Helens. It was a dark and rainy night...the first step was to get the tank into the truck. Luckily the tank was on a stand and it was almost exactly the height of the pickup truck which made for an easy slide into the truck. The nerve wracking part came next which was driving it over Cornelius Pass and cringing at every bump. The tank did make it back in one piece, but then we had to work out how to unload it.
      So, the tank lived for a rainy week in the back of the truck parked outside. Luckily it is so heavy that no average criminal could have even attempted to steal it. Later in the week we devised a method to black some layers of moving blankets on the garage floor and lower one side onto the blankets while the other side leaned on the tailgate. Then we had two people tilt the tank away from the truck and the thirst guy pulled the truck away. We laid the tank town and there is sat with some sand.
      The next day I started to remove some the sand and start to clean and inspect the tank. What did I find? Hermit crabs! There were a few hermits alive in the tank and I did try to rescue them. In then end only one survived and is still around as I write this. I kept cleaning and found another surprise.
      Along the back of thank on the bottom plate of glass there was a round chip up against the edge of the tank. This chip was held in place by the silicone and had been hidden by sand. I decided to pull the chip out by carefully slicking away some silicone so that I could better clean and inspect the tank. This is point where I thought why did I buy a used tank--oh yeah--because life is too easy if you always buy things new. 
      After a few days reading stories about cracked aquariums and glass repair I decided to proceed as follows. First, I would clean the area where the chip was located and then I would attempt to use a windshield chip repair kit to reinstall the chip. This chip about 1/8 at the thickest point so I reasoned with myself that is probably did not compromise the integrity of the tank, but it might have compromised the silicone seal. If it did cause a seal problem then the tank would have to be torn down and resealed. If I was going to tear down the tank then I was definitely going to replace the bottom glass. All that said, I proceeded to replace the chip so that I could do a full water test and find out my fate.
      As I waited for the epoxy to cure I learned that sunlight is requirement. So on the second day I opened the garage and by some magic there was a sunny day in Oregon for the first time in years (well at least months). The epoxy did cure and the results look better than I would have imagined. The tank is now lying in wait for the water test which will take place shortly.
      The last leg of this update is related to the stand and the sump. We have been thinking about various sump configurations and settled on placing the sump in the garage. This opens up options for various sizes, looks and material. I nearly picked up a Rubbermaid watering trough several times and kept thinking I wasn't crazy about the roundness and extra space it would tank. Then came a post for a free 125 gallon tank (18x23x72). That seemed like a viable option and the price was right so I headed out to pick it up. As luck would have it we started down the road and a severe weather alert was issued for hail and lighting. As I turned off the road just about a mile away from the pickup location I watched lighting strike and two transformers blow....
      We picked up the tank and headed to the Home Depot. The storm barely slowed us down. I had pondered a stand design for a couple of weeks and decided to go with wood instead of steel. I had some doubts about being able to keep the stand from rusting in the long term, and I had the tools and know how to build a wood stand so I chose to build a wooden stand. We picked up (6) 2x6 boards and (8) 2x4 boards as well as some joist hangers and a sheet of 3/4 plywood.
      The core design is modeled off the link below although the facade is still up for debate.
      http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/29-building-an-aquarium-stand

Other components that have been collected:
      Iwaki MD-70RLT Pump (to send water back to the tank from the garage)
      Reeflo Orca 250 protein skimmer (probably bigger than I need but it is rated for 200-800 gallons)
      A couple other pumps that will probably end up being helpful for water changes and not much else.

Other components that still being contemplated:
      Pumps for flow...I'm looking at dual Maxspect Gyre xf280 or xf250s.
      More lights. I have 2x Ocean Revive T247b's and a 4 x 48" t-5 fixture. I would like to get two more OR 247b's but it seems like the supplied evaporated recently (maybe due to new model forthcoming?). Maybe some Radion lights will be in my future.

Well that was a lot for today. I'm sure someone has an opinion or advice or argument to offer now so have at it. I'll keep plugging away and in the next episode you might see me getting under the house to reinforce the floor and run some pipes.
      Jeremy 

• By Sasquatch
      Time to be reborn.
      Starting a new tank at a new apartment.
      This time it's going to be clean and smart.

• By Sasquatch
      The power is out all over. From Salem to Vancover, Mt. Hood to the coast. 
      How is everyone faring? They say it will be back up in ~6 hours. I think my tank will live in room temp but I know some other people's tanks are more delicate.