My first tank stand build.

Cor4eyh

After realizing my tank stand that came with the tank was made of mdf and got wet and started swelling compromising the integrity of the stand I started planning my first tank stand build.

It seems easy just time consuming. But in this new build I'm desiring a bit more from the stand, I'd like to make the stand about 1 foot wider than the original stand, from what I've read as long as there is vertical support under the 4 corners of the rimless tank I should be good. So it's just extending the ends by 6 inches on both sides of the tank correct?

And as for skinning i purchased some 15/32 pre sanded plywood in a 4x4 sheet (easier for transporting) and have it all home and going to start soon.

My only question is the length of the stand if I'm using 2x4's as long as the 4 corners are on these supported 2x4 it doesn't necessarily matter if I just use longer 2x4's both front and back and that will make my stand bigger does it?

Also I'll be doing some plumbing as well and pretty much revamping my whole setup. But this time I'm taking my sweet time.

Fish and corals remain in a tub ran by my apex and ATO. And auto feeder.

Any other advice for a first time stand builder would be awesome!

Oh yea I'm also waterproofing this beast. No more crazy mistakes!

And also considering redoing my sump as well, where do you guys buy the glass from and or cut it with?d77de4d7bec1e91fa88176b06024c077.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ck out my build thread for the 200 gallon starfire I do a lot of wood working and custom stands. Take ur time and plan it out the problem with dimensional lumber (2x4 etc) is the extra width it creates inside the stand. Sometimes bullheads will not fit as there is not enough room for the nut when bottom drilled...so keep this in mind. Also I use wood glue, outdoor coated screws and pocket hole screw everything. I use Kilz on the entire frame and caulk the floor so if something leaks inside stand it will hold water for awhile without leaking all over flooring. Sand all of your trim and skin material prior to installing. Wipe it with damp cloth before painting.

• Like 1

That's a gorgeous stand!

I'm looking for simple, very plain, painted black, the less molding the better. But thank you for the info.

My god that's beautiful, I'm gonna shoot you a pm about a small stand I may need in the near future!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I will be setting up a stadard 75 and i want to run a standard 75 as a sump so the stand will need to be over sized and about 40" tall and look just like the black one you have in the pic but no center braces

How tall can the stand be?  No center brace front and rear, or just front?

Kevin

Here is a cube design that I did for an older 93g tank.  This is built and skinned so that no joined edge shows on the finished tank.  I can toss you a design (no charge, I don't do this for $) and you can build or have someone build it for you. 

7efe7217-d4bf-4f0b-a959-ff782d44a466.png

The supports line up with the corners of the tank?

I'm going to assume the tank is glass.

If so then the only thing I would add are a two 2X4s on the outside of the supports running front to back.

What are you planning to skin it with?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I would strongly suggest corner braces. You are looking at defection in that stand and probably something you don't want

Core4yh, I just re read your beginning thread and if the overhand is the one foot you were talking about and the uprights are at the corners, then you should be fine and like LC Scott stated box the 24x24 our and put a cross brace between your corners, running front to back looks like 2 cut at 18" would probably do it your uprights are 2x4's

The supports line up with the corners of the tank?

I'm going to assume the tank is glass.

If so then the only thing I would add are a two 2X4s on the outside of the supports running front to back.

What are you planning to skin it with?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I'm skinning it with plywood, it's going to end up black so I wasn't too concerned with the type of wood as long as it could be sealed.