Salty Tank

Salty Pickle

Please forgive my tank right now, it finished cycling a week ago. I have a small cleanup crew, pink bird nest, bird of paradise, rainbow rhino zoa, and a BTA. I will slowly be adding to the tank as funds become available but this is what I have thus far.

Whats under the hood:

• Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion Nano 10
  • 8.9 lbs of live rock
  • 10 lbs CaribSea Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand

P1030786_zpsiiktxkue.jpeg

• Apex Jr. w/ PH & Temp
  • Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump
  • 10 gallon tank for RO water ($1/gal deal)

P1030785_zpsrjlrb0xx.jpeg

• Ghost protein skimmer
  • Koralia nano 240 (MP10 will be here Friday)
  • SmartAqua Nano ATO
  • Upgraded media basket
  • Ebo Jager 50Watt heater
  • It is a lot of stuff to try to fit in the third space of this nano but it works perfectly

P1030787_zpspvax3hbp.jpeg

• Had a scrap piece of "Black Galaxy" granite that I fabricated for the top
  • Stand was salvaged from another tank, threw home depot handles on it, touched it up with a sharpie

P1030788_zps7hfytmue.jpeg

• Kessil a150

P1030782_zps3qczgtx7.jpeg

I know, I know, its a complete overkill for a nano tank. Everything but the light and the tank was literally lying around the house collecting dust so I figured what the hell, put it to use. I am however considering upgrading the kessil, i noticed that 3 of the diodes are dead and I am well past the warranty period. Was considering the a160we with the spectra controller but have not made my mind up yet. If anybody has any input or critiques on my set up, I am always open to suggestions. Thank you for taking a look. Happy reefing!

• Like 2

Nice nano! No such thing as overkill..

Very nice! Sorry I have no suggestions for a light. I'm trying to figure out what light to use for my fusion 20 as I'm not thrilled with my maxspect. Nice aquascape. I love the picture above the tank too!

Kim, what don't you like about your razor? I've been using one for about a year and have great results from it. You can pm me if you want help getting it dialed in.

Very nice! Sorry I have no suggestions for a light. I'm trying to figure out what light to use for my fusion 20 as I'm not thrilled with my maxspect. Nice aquascape. I love the picture above the tank too!

Thank you for mentioning the painting above the tank, it made my wife very happy. She's taking painting classes and that was one of her first.

If you're anything like me, you will never be happy with your light haha. I've had 4 lights over this one tank. The Prime has been by far the best fit. I'm planning a lagoon 25 build and I'm going to buy another prime for it. So I'd say I'm pretty happy with this one. It's all controlled through an app, weather controls, storms, acclimation, time, individual color adjustment, it's a solid light for small tanks.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Nice build. I have the Kessil A160 on my 10gal and I love it. No disco effect and it is more than bright enough for anything you'd want to raise in a nano. I can't imagine you'd be unhappy with one.

Edited by andy
  • Like 1

Ok. I have to admit that I got caught up in the frenzy of getting the tank up and running so I cut corners and half-assed some stuff. This week I added some awesome coral, changed out some hardware and did some cosmetic adjustments. I will save the best for last so the coral pics will be at the end, here we go with the update  :popcorn:

First thing I had to change was the inside of the cabinet. I was in such a hurry to have a tank up and running that I took a piece of plywood that was screwed to the rafters in my garage, cut the length and screwed it in. I also threw in a 10 gallon tank that was way to big to serve as an ATO reservoir and replaced it with a 5.5 gallon. Remember this:

P1030785_zpsrjlrb0xx.jpeg

now it looks like this:

P1030822_zpsrdx2ie2e.jpg

The other thing that was bothering me to no end was the clutter in the 3rd space in the sump. The Ebo was to big, causing the ATO to malfunction. The clip holding the ATO hose was ridiculously bulky and the PH probe and the temp probe were being crushed in the corner. First thing I did was get rid of the heater and replaced it with a "ARCHAEA MINI AQUARIUM HEATER (50W) ULTRA SLIM", it is insanely small. I also got rid of suction cups and used zip ties instead. This is what it was:

P1030787_zpspvax3hbp.jpeg

and this is now:

P1030823_zps1xtjyo9u.jpg

I also got rid of the Koralia nano 240 and put in the new MP10QD. I do not usually subscribe to hype but all I can say about the MP10 is "WOW". 

P1030902_zpshbaofnvl.jpg

I am running it on reef crest at 40%.

So now for the coral I added.

The following I got from Cuttle Fish. Thanks a ton Jeff.

P1030860%20-%20Version%202_zpse21cv9hv.jP1030837%20-%20Version%203_zps6d7hgonz.j

P1030847_zpsfvaf3lfv.jpgP1030849%20-%20Version%202_zpscaudnffe.jP1030835%20-%20Version%202_zpspplokc5p.jP1030825%20-%20Version%202_zpsbpozg0w8.jP1030827%20-%20Version%202_zpsua9gtome.jP1030882%20-%20Version%203_zpss7pf7myo.j

P1030846_zpsladbdp6t.jpg

These 2 I got from Upscale. The Monti is starting to darken up and the hermits have removed a lot of the algae that was growing on it when I got it.

P1030879%20-%20Version%202_zpsb6tsp9ir.j

P1030886_zpsb2tdt2co.jpg

Got these from Matt, Thanks Matt:

P1030837%20-%20Version%202_zps2wnrvgzb.jP1030866_zps3rmzxaz2.jpg

This was a freebee from when I ordered my cleanup crew:

P1030862_zpseiz3ytss.jpg

The photos make everything look big but everything is actually pretty small. Here is what it looks like it the Nuvo 10:

P1030898_zpsme2udftd.jpg

This is what it looks like without filtering out the blue, this is the natural look of the tank 24-7:

P1030900_zpsm9c7glw7.jpg

Thank you for your interest in my voyage and I hope to post more as I progress forward. Happy reefing everybody!

Lookin good man, love those blastos and acans..The zoas are pretty bomb too, Jeff has always got some good stuff hanging out around his shop. I also like the nice and clean sump, I have nothing of the sort but like to see other peoples solutions to the problems I have.