Jeff over at Cuttlefish & Corals has gotten a few nice pieces as of recently including SPS,LPS, and some Zoas\Palys.I have been wanting to do a grow out from C&C for some time but needed to line something up with Jeff and I finally did. That means it is contest time again, you know It has always been fun, even when losing.

There will only be a certain number of allotted slots due to the size of the coral to be cut, very limited number here. We would take original frag pictures along with listing some tank specs\parameters, some monthly updates and that is that.

I was thinking of just keeping it simple with the old basic rules of measuring  and comparing the new growth at end of the competition, say 4 months? 

I know I already have a few people interested in signing up but to keep it fair I have not put anyone in the comp yet so stay tuned for an update to the thread.

Also for this grow out you MUST Be a paying member! Only so many frags so those who pay get to play.

Thank you for your patience.

• Like 6

I have been growing this out for at least a month or two so its colors are really coming through and there has been some growth. Jeff told me I should take a different acro so I would have more slots available but this one looked so dang good I just swooped it up and grew it out some myself and I think she is about ready.

I might be game for this :D  Is there a prize for the first fatality :laugh:

Edited by spectra
  • Like 1

Pretty sure im a paid member!! :) already particilated in another acro contest so i'll pass on this one! Nice coral Bert!

It is a beauty, entry should be about $15-$16 so not too spendy, I am hoping for about 15 spots for this one.

IMGP2557_zpsrkxbnmxh.jpg

IMGP2556_zpsnyojpb26.jpg

IMGP2555_zpsm9n9xgjy.jpg My son and his DSLR are much better than the phone and I.

• Like 3

How are you choosing participants, Bert? First-come-first-served?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I believe so, and being exclusively for payed members, sorry if that seems unfair. That means we are already at about 10. I see a couple of requests from people who are not Official.

There is hope for a couple more spots than I had anticipated but I am pessimistic\realistic by nature and I would hat to overshoot the number so I am accepting 15 total as of now.

• Like 2

I'll get in on this if you still have a spot open, my membership is payed up for awhile

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By badxgillen
      This grow out frag will be going into one of my shallow acrylic tanks.
      Aquarium- Acrylic and about 120 gallons
      Filteration-Moded Coralife skimmer with Reef Octopus needle wheel pump.
      Circulation-Maxi Jet 1,500 Gallon Per Hour Circ Pump and the good old Koralia 750 gallon I believe for a total of 2,250GPH. I aim to get better flow soon this tank soon enough though.
      Daily\Weekly additions-Activated Carbon, carbon dosing, 3 part dosing BRS style, variety of frozen foods for the fish and coral gumbo.
      Fish- bi color angel, coral beauty angel, pair of percula clowns, and an algae blenny.
      Lighting- the new Reefi LED for 12 hours on and 12 hours off.

PH 8
      KH 9-10 I don't want it this high and aim to let it lower some before dosing again.
      Calcium 500 comments same as KH above
      Magnesium 1500
      Ammonia 0
      Nitrites 0
      Nitrates 5-10

Side Shot

And Top Down X)

I have a total of two polyps to start with...Actually I had four but I cut mine in half to make sure my friend Lex got to participate as well as I. It was my system that they got blown around in any ways. maybe they will show up...

Maybe not :(  

There is 300 pounds of rock in the system as well so who know where those polyps are.
    • By badxgillen
      Once again I hope Jesse does not mind me utilizing most of his write up for the rules of the competition. If it is uncalled for please let me know and I will see that it is taken down but if it is fine with you then it is much appreciated.

Well Contestants this is the official thread to post your entries! If you post your entry in another thread it will not count. Contest begins May 1st! You have a week before and a week after to post up your picture. This competition will run 4 months!

Ground Rules: The goal of this competition is to be both educational and fun. I am hopeful the winners will be able to share their "secrets" and truly see how different lighting, supplements, dosing, and tank parameters can make a difference in growth.

Rules and Guidelines for The Premium Aquarium Grow Out Competition. 

1.Your first post must include a quick write up of your system in the competition thread. Including tank size, flow, lighting, placement of the frag, frag measurement, equipment (ie calcium reactor, dosing, etc), feeding regiment, etc.

2. You will be required to post photo updates. The contest will start May 1st. You will be required to post a photo update once a month. I will remind you of this when the time is soon to post. I know life gets busy and people go out of town so you have a 2 week window to post.You will have 7 days before the 1st and 7 days after to post your update. If you do not post within the allotted time frame you will be disqualified. 

3. Please no cheating. This competition is meant to be fun and for bragging rights. Cheaters will be disqualified and banned from any future competitions(PEDS were not used for Frankenfrag).

4. The frags must remain on the original or similar plug. You may modify the plug if needed example cutting off the stem for placement but only once. You may place the frag anywhere you want in your tank and you may move it to a different spot during the competition but it is frowned upon  and you cannot move it to a new tank as the point is to see how the frag does over time in different systems.

5. Initial photos of frags need to have a top down as well as side shot so we can all see the frag and what you are starting with, a ruler next to the frag to provide proof of coverage is preferred. No hiding encrusting parts in your photos. Not following the rules will cause you to be disqualified, I know that sounds harsh but it is out of fairness to the rest of the group. Remember a lot can happen in 4 months. During the last growout many were DQ'd due to not posting. It's really simple. JUST DO IT. Length of competition: The competition will run for 4 months. This will give us enough time for the frag to grow. A lot can happen in 4 months and a lot of people could drop out, so if you are persistent, you have a chance to win the grand prize. This will give EVERYONE the same advantage\disadvantage with acclimation and so on. Pictures will be required frequently for updates. Final post will be September 7th 2016 for the winner. 

Judging a winner: Will be a little different this grow out. The most growth over the frag plug from the initial size wins, Mounding will not be a factor. We will make the final measurements by September 7th preferably with the same ruler used in the initial few posts.

Winner  of each category shall have glorious bragging rights along with the honors of choosing a desired "Nick Name" for their winning Goni.

and there will be prizes...
      The first being a $50.00 gift certificate to The Premium Aquarium
      and Second wins a choice zoa or SPS frag pack.
      and Third will get the zoa or SPS frag pack not already taken by 2nd.

Here I will be including a list of people who have checked in that will be updated over the length of the competition.

5)Lexinverts-*
      8) HigheThinking-*
      17) Eclipse-*
      20) Kenshin-*
    • By badxgillen
      A little over a month ago there was a thread that had some mentioning of wanting to do an LPS for a grow out instead the SPS or zoanthids that had been previously done. LPS is a big category, so it took me a while thinking about it to really narrow things down. At first I wanted to do some form of favia or closed brain but those can be aggressive. Then I was tempted by the beautiful extravagant chalices that are too spendy for any one person, but those grow slower than molasses. Oh what to do...

I needed something with some color, not too hard to keep and not something too common...
      A trip to The Premium Aquarium and a long chat with Garret and then Chris got me thinking straight!
      I got the full run down of possible candidates and believe me there was no shortage, brains, chalices, acans, and euphyllias. But what finally got my attention and really got me thinking was this beautiful purple gonipopora. Actually there was a few purple gonis there but this one was bright purple and white, with a true flower pot look, not one of those encrusters.

This picture is with flash on, the goni in the back ground is the same just without as much warm white light from the camera. Look at those purples.

These are beauties thats for sure.

Lots of motion with these too. 
      When I first acquired these chunks they were slow to transition to home tank life, you know how some of those finicky gonioporas can be, but over the last few weeks they have really started to perk up. I think these are going to be a reasonably hardy variety once all is said and done.
      With those fat and juicy polyps.

SO, any body here want to try their hands at another grow out contest!?
      I have a feeling this one won't be quite as temperamental as the acropora, but you never know, each tank is a little different. Grand prize winner will be seeing some fine TPA corals in the end, second place through 13th will get to keep their prize purple gonis, and last places will get the intricate bleached white skeleton of their entry frag..Its a win win all around!

besides, its always a hoot to do these Grow Outs.

• By badxgillen
      Once again I hope Jesse does not mind me utilizing most of his write up for the rules of the competition. If it is uncalled for please let me know and I will see that it is taken down but if it is fine with you then it is much appreciated.   Well Contestants this is the official thread to post your entries! If you post your entry in another thread it will not count. Contest begins December 7th! You have a week before and a week after to post up your picture. This competition will run 4 months!   Ground Rules: The goal of this competition is to be both educational and fun. I am hopeful the winners will be able to share their "secrets" and truly see how different lighting, supplements, dosing, and tank parameters can make a difference in growth.   Rules and Guidelines for The Cuttlefish and Corals Grow Out Competition.    1.Your first post must include a quick write up of your system in the competition thread. Including tank size, flow, lighting, placement of the frag, frag measurement, equipment (ie calcium reactor, dosing, etc), feeding regiment, etc.   2. You will be required to post photo updates. The contest will start December 7th. You will be required to post a photo update once a month. I will remind you of this when the time is soon to post. I know life gets busy and people go out of town so you have a 2 week window to post.You will have 7 days before the 7th and 7 days after to post your update. If you do not post within the allotted time frame you will be disqualified.    3. Please no cheating. This competition is meant to be fun and for bragging rights. Cheaters will be disqualified and banned from any future competitions(PEDS were not used for Frankenfrag).   4. The frags must remain on the original or similar plug. You may modify the plug if needed example cutting off the stem for placement but only once. You may place the frag anywhere you want in your tank and you may move it to a different spot during the competition but it is frowned upon  and you cannot move it to a new tank as the point is to see how the frag does over time in different systems.   5. Initial photos of frags need to have a top down as well as side shot so we can all see the frag and what you are starting with, a ruler next to the frag to provide proof of height is preferred. No hiding branches in your photos. Not following the rules will cause you to be disqualified, I know that sounds harsh but it is out of fairness to the rest of the group. Remember a lot can happen in 4 months. During the last growout many were DQ'd due to not posting. It's really simple. JUST DO IT. Length of competition: The competition will run for 4 months. This will give us enough time for       the frag to grow. A lot can happen in 4 months and a lot of people could drop out, so if you are persistent, you have a chance to win the grand prize. This will give EVERYONE the same advantage\disadvantage with acclimation and so on. Pictures will be required frequently for updates. Final post will be April 7th 2016 for the winner.    Judging a winner: Should be pretty straight forward this grow out. The most growth from the initial size wins, branching will not be a factor. We will make the final measurements by April 7th preferably with the same ruler used in the initial few posts.   Winner  of each category shall have glorious bragging rights along with the honors of choosing a desired "Nick Name" for their winning Acropora.   and there will be prizes... But not going to spoil it yet, you have to play.   Here I have included a list of people who have checked in that will be updated over the length of the competition.   1- Badxgillen,1/2",1/2+",1/2"+,
      3- Spectra, 5/8",5/8",5\8"+,
      4- Lexinverts,1/2",1/2+",1\2"+,
      10- Emerald, 0.6",0.7",0.7"+,
      11- Paratore,5/8",5/8",5\8"+,
      12- Gill&fin,3/4",3/4",3\4",
      17- Kireek,1/2",1/2+",1\2"+,
      19- Danlu 3/4"-,3/4",3\4"+,

The names with no measurement next to them are the ones who still need to chime in.
    • By badxgillen
      I hope Jesse does not mind me utilizing most of his write up for the rules of the competition. If it is uncalled for please let me know and I will see that it is taken down but if it is fine with you then I must say thank you fro saving me some time and effort, it is appreciated.

Well Contestants this is the official thread to post your entries! If you post your entry in another thread it will not count. Contest begins April 20th!You have a week before and a week after to post up your picture. This competition will run 4 months!

Ground Rules: The goal of this competition is to be both educational and fun. I am hopeful the winners will be able to share their "secrets" and truly see how different lighting, supplements, dosing, and tank parameters can make a difference in growth.

Rules and Guidelines for The TECO Zoa Grow Out Competition. 

1.Your first post must include a quick write up of your system in the competition thread. Including tank size, flow, lighting, placement of the frag, frag measurement, equipment (ie calcium reactor, dosing, etc), feeding regiment, etc.

2. You will be required to post photo updates. The contest will start April 20th. You will be required to post a photo update once a month. I will remind you of this when the time is soon to post. I know life gets busy and people go out of town so you have a 2 week window to post.You will have 7 days before the 20th and 7 days after to post your update. If you do not post within the allotted time frame you will be disqualified. 

3. Please no cheating. This competition is meant to be fun and for bragging rights. Cheaters will be disqualified and banned from any future competitions(PEDS were not used for Frankenfrag).

4. The frags must remain on the original plug. You may modify the plug if needed example cutting off the stem for placement. You may place the frag anywhere you want in your tank and you may move it to a different spot during the competition but it is frowned upon  and you cannot move it to a new tank as the point is to see how the frag does over time in different systems.

5. Initial photos of frags need to have a top down as well as side shot so we can all see the frag and what you are starting with. No hiding zoa polyps in your photos. Not following the rules will cause you to be disqualified, I know that sounds harsh but it is out of fairness to the rest of the group. Remember a lot can happen in 4 months. During the last growout many were DQ'd due to not posting. It's really simple. JUST DO IT. Length of competition: The competition will run for 4 months. This will give us enough time for       the frag to grow. A lot can happen in 4 months and a lot of people could drop out, so if you are persistent, you have a chance to win the grand prize. This will give EVERYONE the same advantage\disadvantage with acclimation and so on. Pictures will be required frequently for updates. Final post will be July 20th 2015 for the winner. 

Judging a winner: Should be pretty straight forward this grow out. The most polyps at the end wins.

Winner  of each category shall have glorious bragging rights along with the honors of choosing a desired name for their winning polyps.

But the Grand Prize is...Coral of course!!!

But not going to spoil it yet, you have to play.

Our Standing List of Fine PNWMAS Contestants are...
      1- Badxgillen       *6&2,**13&3, ***23&3,****36&3
      2- Matty               *9&2,**12&5, ***22&6,****27&7
      4- BlueZreef        *9&2,**10&2, ***17&3,****20&5
      5- Jadams           *8&3,**12&3, ***16&4,****19&7
      8- SeanS             *8&2,**14&4,***22&4,****25&5
      9- Clark               *6&2**9&0, ***15 ,      ****13
      12-Spilo               *7&2,**22&5,***31&5,****39&5
      18- Kireek            *8&2**16&2,***36&1,****50+
      22-Gill&Fin           *7&2,**9&2,***17,    ****14
      23- Cerk1985       *7&2,**14&2,***26&2,****44
      26-New2salwater *8&2,**11&2,***15&2,****16&2
      27-Paratore          *6,**12, ***17,            ****27