Update your fire protection - AFCI vs CAFCI

TheClark

Leviton now sells the receptacle versions like the gfcis you see all over most homes in wet locations.  No panel work required if you can find your first outlet on a circuit.  I like the picture in the home depot ad:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Tamper-Resistant-AFCI-Receptacle-White-R12-AFTR1-0KW/204290242

2lb08HU.png

upon further reflection, I think being shocked is useful. I plugged in my skimmer last night then dove into my sump to position it. yeeeeeeeeikes!! If I hadn't got shocked I probably would have gone to bed like a normal person. this way I stayed up and got a lot done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, pdxmonkeyboy said:

upon further reflection, I think being shocked is useful. I plugged in my skimmer last night then dove into my sump to position it. yeeeeeeeeikes!! If I hadn't got shocked I probably would have gone to bed like a normal person. this way I stayed up and got a lot done.

Haha - get used to it!  Not the shocking part (although there is some of that) but the staying up late and not sleeping part as that comes with the whole reefing package!

• 5 months later...

Just a quick update for those curious...

I have had 0 nuisance trips since installing these and chasing down the legit trips.  Not even one.

And If for some reason I do lose power, APEX lets me know.   Just hasn't happened due to the AFCIs.

Sharing FWIW...

• Thanks 1

thata great news about zero nuisance trips. after i track the person that wired my new house and punch him in the face i may go the afci route.

the new house has THE most janky wiring i have EVER seen. who doesnt run 20 amp lines to the kitchen? off brand panel? check. outlets that are all downstream of the lights and powered by the same switch? you bet!!

no crawl space under the main parts of the house.. no attic... sigh :( (white people problems)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

thata great news about zero nuisance trips. after i track the person that wired my new house and punch him in the face i may go the afci route.

the new house has THE most janky wiring i have EVER seen. who doesnt run 20 amp lines to the kitchen? off brand panel? check. outlets that are all downstream of the lights and powered by the same switch? you bet!!

no crawl space under the main parts of the house.. no attic... sigh :( (white people problems)

Yeesh - I think my 1909 bungalow was in better shape than that. Granted, I still got some knob and tube.  I think I would ask for a rebate from my home inspector if I was you!  Maybe after you track down the electrician...

well, the electric is all up to code, its just completely idiotic how they laid it all out.

well, not completely up to code anyways. I do believe that you need one outlet every 12 feet along the walls.

A friend of mine said that in the 90's "convenience" was all the rage. So someone thought that being able to turn off the outlets From a switch was a good idea. which I suppose is fine.

But its a small gripe in the end. We absolutely love the new house. I am listening to two great horned owls hooting at each other right now. Much more relaxing that listening to the bus chug by [emoji4]

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

[language filter]!! you could power a massive aquarium with that

Hah. Funny thing is that my tank only pulls about 5amps on average these days with exception of the heaters. Used to be I had a 20amp dedicated circuit just for my lights!

• 2 years later...
On 9/24/2017 at 6:32 PM, RobMBush said:

Hah. Funny thing is that my tank only pulls about 5amps on average these days with exception of the heaters. Used to be I had a 20amp dedicated circuit just for my lights!

I remember those days. Had to use an extension cord for the vacuum to vacuum the living room.

Man if my girlfriend saw this thread she'd want me to get rid of the tank lol.

Whoops, necropost. But whatever.

Edited by Oasisreefling
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Oasisreefling said:

I remember those days. Had to use an extension cord for the vacuum to vacuum the living room.

Man if my girlfriend saw this thread she'd want me to get rid of the tank lol.

Whoops, necropost. But whatever.

I bumped it, your good!