Good Hanna Checker?

Paratore

I'm thinking about picking up some Hanna checkers, because the color changing titration tests are driving me nuts! I'm just horrible at seeing the "right" color change.

Anyways, what checkers do you guys recommend? I know I want an ALK one but other than that I'm not sure. Suggestions?

I'm keeping lots of SPS and zoas right now so my nutrient levels are important. There are just so many checkers and I could use some help narrowing the options down.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phosphates/phosphorous is a must! The Alkalinity checker is awesome as well and typically it's those 2 most people have. As for the calcium don't be fooled by reviews it works as mentioned the only problem is it takes about as much work and consideration into doing as the titration tests do so it certainly wont be saving you any time but rather giving you a digital readout opposed to what your doing now.

• Like 1

Phosphates/phosphorous is a must! The Alkalinity checker is awesome as well and typically it's those 2 most people have. As for the calcium don't be fooled by reviews it works as mentioned the only problem is it takes about as much work and consideration into doing as the titration tests do so it certainly wont be saving you any time but rather giving you a digital readout opposed to what your doing now.

Totally agree, those are my two favorites.

keep in mind there is a phosphorus and a phosphate one, the difference being phosphorus measures in parts per billion opposed to the other in parts per million. I personally like others aim to have .06 "Phosphates" in which i find the phosphates checker to do just fine in helping me read my levels whereas the phosphorus checker will give a more complex reading that unless understood can look a bit intimidating. Some people prefer to get the exact number whereas if you have are not to knowledgeable in how phosphates are made up the phosphates checker might be the better option for you. :)

keep in mind there is a phosphorus and a phosphate one, the difference being phosphorus measures in parts per billion opposed to the other in parts per million. I personally like others aim to have .06 "Phosphates" in which i find the phosphates checker to do just fine in helping me read my levels whereas the phosphorus checker will give a more complex reading that unless understood can look a bit intimidating. Some people prefer to get the exact number whereas if you have are not to knowledgeable in how phosphates are made up the phosphates checker might be the better option for you. :)

Well thank you for letting me know, looks like I'll have to do my homework before deciding which one to get. I'll probably end up going with just the simple phosphate checker ha.

Second question. I'm not sure where my phosphates actually are, they always read 0 ppm with my API test. Would you recommend the ultra low one or the normal test?

Well thank you for letting me know, looks like I'll have to do my homework before deciding which one to get. I'll probably end up going with just the simple phosphate checker ha.

Second question. I'm not sure where my phosphates actually are, they always read 0 ppm with my API test. Would you recommend the ultra low one or the normal test?

the Ultra low one is the phosphorus, from the sounds of it you should get the phosphate one (Not ultra low checker) I wouldn't trust the API until you have verified it with something else

The Hanna phosphate checker I had ( the green egg) was consistently inconsistent-garbage IMO if you're looking for a reliable test. I would test the same tank 3x and get 3 widely different results. Depending on what you keep that varicella may not matter but for me I "wanted" an accurate reading.

In the long run the Milwaukee ultra low PO4 reader was the choice-I think Upscales may use the same one-not certain.

FWIW I tried multiple new reagents too, that wasn't the issue