PNWMAS food drive!!!!

Blackice

So board what do you thing about putting together a food drive this year?

I had a idea that if a few of the stores wanted to have a sale but you had to dring some food to get the discount prices.

Or have it at the next couple meeting with food donation you get some raffle tickets???

What do you all think any more ideas out there???

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think sponsors should have to give discounts for people bringing food in...i like the idea of trading food for raffle tickets, or at some club sanctioned event. Most companies that i know of who give discounts for food donations are Large corporate type companies(mt hood meadows, portland trailblazers, etc) the LFS are all very small businesses...and unless it directly helps them increase sales, i dont think they should have to give discounts fir donated food. Itd be nice for them to dedicate space in their shops to do the collecting...but taking money out of their pockets doesn't make sense to me...unless of course the owner wants to us it as a sales promotion of sorts...

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 3

Yes John thanks for getting this organized this is awesome and good timing so close to thanksgiving! Thank you all you sponsors for offering up your stores as collecting sites. I agree Isaac that its just nice of them to allow this. Up to them if they want to do some sort of promotion.

• Like 1

I agree with Isaac......

We spend hundreds of dollars on corals and fish and well why can we not all toss in a few bucks to get some canned food? Why should a local retailer give us a break? Hell a can of corn or green beans is less than a buck.....a case of top ramen well that might be even less than a buck :rolleyes:  not great but you get what I am saying. I think as a whole we can all step up and make a great donation.

To the mods also look into if we can just gift money or ? to the food bank so they can get what they need. I am sure they have discounts with certain organizations already.

I agree with Isaac......

We spend hundreds of dollars on corals and fish and well why can we not all toss in a few bucks to get some canned food? Why should a local retailer give us a break? Hell a can of corn or green beans is less than a buck.....a case of top ramen well that might be even less than a buck :rolleyes: not great but you get what I am saying. I think as a whole we can all step up and make a great donation.

To the mods also look into if we can just gift money or ? to the food bank so they can get what they need. I am sure they have discounts with certain organizations already.

I'm a manager of a fundraising company and we work with mainly rescue missions and food banks. We have a couple hundred clients across the country.

I can tell you for sure that food banks accept money. In fact, donated money has a significantly larger impact versus food. Not that food donations aren't important because they certainly are. But depending on which one, food banks can acquire and distribute 2-7 meals per dollar raised. (Meals are determined based on the USDA standard of 1.2 lbs.) So by all means donate food! It is always desperately needed. But cash of course is better.

Either way, fantastic job getting this going and taking the initiative everyone. Community organizations are always in need. You all rock!

• Like 4

The PNWMAS Food Drive in association the the Oregon Food Bank is about to begin! We have 5 collection locations, and we will have the locations posted as soon as the Oregon Food Bank Food Collection Barrels are delivered!

In the meantime, The Oregon Food Bank is accepting and cash contributions here! http://www.oregonfoodbank.org/

A $10 Donation will provide 30 meals.

Oregon Food Bank works to eliminate hunger and its root causes ... because no one should be hungry.

OFB works with a cooperative, statewide network of partner agencies to distribute emergency food to hungry families. We fight hunger's root causes through public policy advocacy, nutrition and garden education and work to strengthen community food systems.
Learn about the OFB Network.

network-map-small.png

Thank you.

• Like 1

Everyone is scheduled for a barrel drop. Cuttle Fish and Corals, Moloko, and Upscales will be getting their barrel tomorrow, and the Critter Cabana Wilsonville location will be getting their barrel on Tuesday of next week. The Premium Aquarium in Salem will be getting a barrel from the Marion Polk Food Share next week as well, Oregon Food Bank’s regional food bank down in Salem.

Scheduled food pickups for all of the locations are to happen the week of December 7th-11th as that will allow Oregon Food Bank enough time to sort and process the food before the holidays.

The Oregon Food Bank is accepting and cash contributions here! http://www.oregonfoodbank.org/

Here are PNWMAS/Oregon Food Bank Food Drive Collection sites:

Cuttle Fish and Corals  (Food Barrel due to arrive on 10/30/15)

3881 N. Mississippi Ave
Portland, OR 97227
Phone: (971)302-1347

Hours: Open 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upscales Fish and Reptile   (Food Barrel due to arrive on 10/30/15)
19295 SW Martinazzi Square
Tualatin, Oregon 97062
Hours: Monday-Friday 10-7
Saturday-Sunday 10-5

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Critter Cabana  (Food Barrel due to arrive on 11/03/15)
8406 SW Main St. #200
Wilsonville, OR 97070

Mon - Thursday:: 10:00AM - 8:00PM
Friday - Saturday :: 10:00AM - 8:30PM
Sundays:: 12:00PM - 7:00PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Premium Aquarium  (Food Barrel due to arrive during first week of November)
1875 25th St. SE
Salem, Oregon 97302 
(503)990-8577

Hours: Open Every Day 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM

Thanks holly! And good work John!

And BOD what would your thoughts be on a coral auction and all the proceeds go towards the food bank?

I would like to post up a sps pack and whatever it sells for I will donate 100% to the food bank. I'm sure others would jump on borad to and add things to sell.

• Like 2

Thanks holly! And good work John!

And BOD what would your thoughts be on a coral auction and all the proceeds go towards the food bank?

I would like to post up a sps pack and whatever it sells for I will donate 100% to the food bank. I'm sure others would jump on borad to and add things to sell.

Personally, I have a lot going on, but we have a great BOD that is very capable(IMHO) of handling this! We will definitely discuss this!

Thanks for bringing up the whole food bank idea. In the past PNWMAS has gotten involved occasionally in some community action... We need to have more of it! :thumbs:

Just a thought...... ;) Next time you are getting a coffee or burger think do I really need it.......I don't drink starbucks but my wife does and at 5 bucks a pop a couple of missed drinks would do 30 meals  :D a few more cheeseburgers but like I need those :laugh: